IGNORED

Utopos (Online game by author of Guntech) - (in VCS store)

justclaws

Utopos games have a new game on the way for the VCS.

Utopos will be available on Steam, Atari VCS and Xbox. (If like Guntech, Steam version will only be for Windows 10 also.)
Here's the first sneak peek of Utopos, a new multiplayer online battle arena game launching for early access on March 22!

This looks very interesting, though the relationship to Guntech is quite clear.
Who else is interested in online games? There are quite a few which could come to the VCS from existing platforms?

• Like 6

Jani posted a blog update on the game, and confirmed that it will be available for the VCS.
It's not clear how long after first "release", the game will appear in the VCS store, as Atari
always check and need to package the game for release. (Price is $10 for early access only.)

• Like 1

Jani just posted on Facebook an update.
He wrote:

Utopos Dev Diary part 2! https://youtu.be/-U3J-0SZyo4
I had a good call with Atari and we've decided to aim March 30 as the VCS version launch date, just one week after the Steam version. The video explains this is more detail. Almost there! ?

• 2 weeks later...

A news update from Jani via Facebook.

"We just launched it for PC and Mac on Steam today, and as we speak, I am currently putting together the VCS build. I can't promise it will be out tomorrow, but maybe the day after? I'm working as hard as I can to make it happen ASAP!

[Steam link n/a, but see image]

Normally the game would be out on Steam in Early Access for a few months before console launch, but we made a deal with Atari that allows the VCS owners to participate in Early Access on VCS! Utopos will be available in VCS Store, for the same discounted Early Access price as it is on Steam - just $9.99.

Utopos is an online multiplayer game, and it supports cross-platform multiplayer so you'll be playing against gamers on other platforms!"

812483663_ScreenShot2021-03-30at11_44_04.thumb.png.d4f23cc62bfe98013fc6919e0863943b.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is now live! Reading on Facebook from Jani that the multiplayer lobby system is tending to send people into lobbies with AI bots rather than wait around for other players a bit too aggressively, so a bit of work is needed, but it sounds like the game is up and running otherwise just fine!

Dunno if anyone is interested, but how about for those who want to try it I'll be on at 9pm Eastern for one hour tonight for public matches. Maybe if enough of us target that time we can get some matches going with real peeps. 

Yes, very happy to get this one, early access, and the first online multi-player.

utopos2.thumb.jpeg.271efa1caa37fa9ef8d88a0c55549310.jpeg

I tried first against 3 bots, and gosh, they're already tough without practice!
Next, I created an arena, Holland, and soon had a fellow "real-life" player join.
So, this game will take investigation... jumping straight in, I got fast game-over!

utopos3.thumb.jpeg.ffb8297f4111e112e04fec9d416abcf0.jpeg

As well as creating a game in your own region, you can also switch regions.

utopos3.thumb.jpeg.8430465f6d38a968168e2f281cc53a42.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

I notice that you - can - change your Arena or player name, but you need a keyboard attached. You can't do it with a controller + virtual keyboard.

Yes, and you can also change the arena names which you create. My first was Holland. ?
I changed my username to... JustClaws. :-D OK, strategically, perhaps a bad idea, ha ha.

utopos4.thumb.jpeg.f7e240a96a8b2da4cc84ec97151b341a.jpeg

So far, I've seen this screen quite a lot, but I am sure this will be less, later. ?

utopos5.thumb.jpeg.3d76a108830dd1d263f2d828c8d45491.jpeg

I only got two matches in. I'd forgotten about the VCS Companion app, but word is that works just fine for player and arena naming. 

Also, just in case you didn't catch it like I didn't until just now, the right stick controls the gun fire direction. :) Left to steer, right to steer gun, LB to fire (or X), RB for bomb (or down), have to use up to thrust just like in Guntech, which is a love or hate it and I'm a hate it but also just my personal opinion. I'd want RB for thrust, LB for fire, one of the buttons for bomb. 

• Like 1

The game is out for several days now, and yet another update is pending.
It's great to have early-access mode to a game like this, on the VCS. The
online play is interesting, but now having bots to spawn for local play, also.

Here's the trailer - the VCS looks identical, but supports the modern controller.

• Like 1

This week's patch should be really good for the game. I can't make a video yet since my account appears bugged, and I can't use either Bomb or the Railgun. Hopefully this fixes that. I am not the only one reporting the issue, but there are others playing Utopos on the VCS without this issue, so hard to say how many of us there are. 

The lobbies have been unsurprisingly pretty quiet, although if you get onto the Utopos discord and chat a bit you'll find people to play with no issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This game is still in early-access (which means active development, really) and is being developed all the time.
OEB-Pete made a live-stream video of playing the game. It's cheaper than Steam on VCS, so go pick it up. ?

• Thanks 1

Atari announced on the Discord:
"Tomorrow, April 20, Jani is running a three-party promotion for his new multiplayer game Utopos with Atari,
Intel and Steam. The game will be free in the Atari VCS and Steam stores for 24 hours starting tomorrow."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

Reminder to pick the game up today for FREE if you have a VCS. Claimed to be a one-day-only deal!

I already paid good money for it.  It's worth what I paid for it though.  Tons of fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...