IGNORED

Looking for beta-testers : want to create puzzle-platformer games (like Ynxa) with no code on Lynx ?

Fadest

It started from a discussion in Ynxa topic.

I created a stripped down the engine of Ynxa, added some tools to go with and packaged the whole.

So now, everyone should be able to create a small platformer game (fixed screen, up to 16 levels, so 144 screens) for the Lynx, it is as easy as :

- modify a template graphical ressource (the one provided is really ugly)

- write or copy some Lynx ABCMusic into a text file

- design levels in Tiled editor

- complete level information in Excel

- clic on a button, launch 2 batch, and handy

Right now, the tool is not public, cause it needs a beta test phase, in order to be sure everything is OK, and eventually enhance it.

So I'm looking for beta testers, if possible not programers or coders as it would be very frustrating for you, not to have access to source code.

But if you have always wanted to make a game for the Lynx, have some idea for graphism or level design, it may be a good starting point.

Reply here or via PM if you are interested. I may limit number of beta-testers, but I guess this will not be a real issue.

More informations here :

LCTS.thumb.png.1d8d41e8f66babbfe0e647b266493da2.png

https://www.slideshare.net/secret/j7mBSUxJALk2yG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Oh no! A RAD tool for the Lynx. This is a nightmare. ???

Kidding. I really hope this will get some interest from not developers.

A very limited RAD tool, dedicated to 1 sub-kind of games (even if fixed top down games could be easily done with some changes). I have seen more versatile (and boring) RAD tools during my career :D

But who knows, maybe some nice games will come from this, of nice prototypes pushing further and rewritten by a developer afterwards.

Edited by Fadest

On 3/10/2021 at 12:20 AM, Blany said:

This looks like a great project. I would love to be a tester but I only have a Mac. Good luck though.

I'm on a Mac too so I'll be looking to see if I can port this toolkit over...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Igor said:

I'm on a Mac too so I'll be looking to see if I can port this toolkit over...

That would be great as I'd love to try this. I have no programming experience but used to love things like SEUCK on the Atari ST all those years ago.

:D

Spoiler

Never tried SEUCK but 3DCK was very cool, but this one is out of my competences

Next module is top-down.

I could spoil a video but I prefer to wait for talented beta-testers cause I did not spent too much time on graphical assets :D

• Haha 1

Please try and do t

6 hours ago, Fadest said:

:D

Hide contents

Never tried SEUCK but 3DCK was very cool, but this one is out of my competences

Next module is top-down.

I could spoil a video but I prefer to wait for talented beta-testers cause I did not spent too much time on graphical assets :D

I'd love to play around with these as my real strength is graphics.

Levels are always 3x3 grids, but borders are linked in the engine, so you can make horizontal or vertical levels :

image.png.7b21339a8e10b6c55bff06350b5bed3e.png

For example, a horizontal and a vertical level of Ynxa :

(not representation of final game, missing background and some other fancy enhancement)

image.png.0e8229929b62f1989dce43cec140a5bd.png        image.png.e87aa5f9a945051a7e475d1f4f02f43e.png

But, some can have differents shapes of course, using abilities to move as usual in grid :

image.png.622abbf622cb9cd06a7fef9abae29717.png

which in fact has this shape in game :

image.thumb.png.3e69ce893c9540f14654dca092cf3e4a.png

Of course, you can abuse the system in order to create non "euclidian" level, but be careful with this and use it wisely and sparely(only used this trick on or 2 times in whole Ynxa game) :

image.thumb.png.e959c2917d67a7aa59861c1cfa4e7569.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

same as others, Mac only.  If this were available on Mac i'd give it a whirl.

I have "programming experience" but only if you could a few years as a kid working on Apple II in basic, and then a single semester of C++ which convinced me i should not pursue computer programming as a major.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:40 PM, unoclay said:

same as others, Mac only.  If this were available on Mac i'd give it a whirl.

I have "programming experience" but only if you could a few years as a kid working on Apple II in basic, and then a single semester of C++ which convinced me i should not pursue computer programming as a major.

You only need to get sprpck and lynxdir compiled, I've got both running on my Mac. I've been meaning to package it up, I'll talk to @Fadest about it, there are also some paths that need to be changed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, Fadest said:

So I'm looking for beta testers, if possible not programers or coders as it would be very frustrating for you, not to have access to source code.

@Fadest I'd really love to try this out, I'm not really a programmer at all, so I apply.? The only thing I'd like to have control over is the jump gravity (or being able to create different simple "fake" gravitys), the palette and perhaps more enemy types! :grin: ?

Joking aside, this is a really fabulous thing. I read through the slides and it seems to be very easy to use too, since it's so limited in scope (and that makes the creativity and ideas flow). Thanks for sharing / creating this. In the ZX Spectrum scene some of the best games are made with a similar tool AGD/MPAGD. (It's quite a bit more complex, but still).

One thing I started to think about, is it possible to somehow use too much memory if you start adding a lot of colors to the sprites and tiles, and max out the size of the sprites even within the constraints?

16 levels / 144 screens sounds pretty notable though! A lot of the commercial Lynx games were really short.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx