Jump to content
ACML

Is there a Fujinet hardware version 1.4 on the way?

Recommended Posts

It appears that the Fujinet 1.3 hardware still has a few issues to be sorted out.  Is there currently a plan to revise the design (i.e. V1.4) to farther refine this hardware design?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACML said:

It appears that the Fujinet 1.3 hardware still has a few issues to be sorted out.  Is there currently a plan to revise the design (i.e. V1.4) to farther refine this hardware design?

 

Yes. I have v1.5 boards coming this week for testing

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mozzwald is always one step ahead of common expectations. :)

Edited by DjayBee
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, mozzwald said:

Yes. I have v1.5 boards coming this week for testing

Any chance for a HW revision that will also use the 800's SIO 12v (300mwatts) supply, instead (with proper DC-to-DC routing and handling?)

 

That's up to four (4) watts of power, free!!!

Edited by Faicuai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Any chance for a HW revision that will also use the 800's SIO 12v (300mwatts) supply, instead (with proper DC-to-DC routing and handling?)

 

That's up to four (4) watts of power, free!!!

I won't be adding it since it's not compatible with all systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I won't be adding it since it's not compatible with all systems.

That begs the question:

 

So how does Fujinet gets powered ensuring zero power-noise coming through SIO? 

 

If the answer is external power supply (due to insufficient +5v 50mA on with existing SIO), then the next question is: 

 

If I run a POKE 710,2 and then 710,4, do I get perfectly clean, flat gray-fields (free of any structured-noise patterns), while Fujinet operates at full tilt?

Edited by Faicuai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

So how does Fujinet gets powered ensuring zero power-noise coming through SIO? 

Schematics are on github if you'd like to see how it's powered by either SIO5V or external USB.

14 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

If the answer is external, then the next question is: If I run a POKE 710,2 and then 710,4, do I get perfectly clean, flat gray-fields (free of any structured-noise patterns), while Fujinet operates at full tilt?

I just ran those while SIO and USB powered and did not notice any problems, but the esp32 is not running 'full tilt'. Need to think of a way to make the cpu stay busy to do a proper test. I also have UAV installed in this 800XL which could make a difference.

Edited by mozzwald
UAV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

If I run a POKE 710,2 and then 710,4, do I get perfectly clean, flat gray-fields (free of any structured-noise patterns), while Fujinet operates at full tilt?

I was noticing some video noise in the new NUC-FujiNet prototype happening when first booting up and FujiNet was doing all of its initialization stuff prior to the menu coming up. So I have a version being manufactured where I flipped the ESP32 module around 180 to get it away from ANTIC and GTIA. And I should have one of those assembled late next week, and will be able see if that made a difference or not.

 

Now to be honest I also had a video cable with a flaky ground that was aggravating the issue, and of course a 576NUC+ implementation is quite a bit different then an 800. However if I recall correctly the FujiNet on your system sits directly next to where the video jack is, and could be influencing what you are seeing. Mind you I only saw the video noise on power-up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mytek said:

I was noticing some video noise in the new NUC-FujiNet prototype happening when first booting up and FujiNet was doing all of its initialization stuff prior to the menu coming up.

 

Well, that already is not a good sign...

 

But, as you say, it would need to be tested by shifting it around or even away, such as externally connected on a SIO-hub, far enough from the host (if it is RF-induction). But if it is POWER-related via SIO, it does not matter where on the SIO chain resides... We will have ingress, and that should not be the case.

 

I've been holding on for more settled HW iterations, but this is something fundamental and should have been already settled, already.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

 

Well, that already is not a good sign...

 

But, as you say, it would need to be tested by shifting it around or even away, such as externally connected on a SIO-hub, far enough from the host (if it is RF-induction). But if it is POWER-related via SIO, it does not matter where on the SIO chain resides... We will have ingress, and that should not be the case.

 

I've been holding on for more settled HW iterations, but this is something fundamental and should have been already settled, already.

 

Please keep in mind my FujiNet hardware is not the same as yours, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. As for noise getting through from FujiNet's supply into your Atari's supply, I would have to think that unlikely since it's going through a 3.3V drop-down voltage regulator with filter caps on both sides (5V and 3.3V).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mytek said:

I was noticing some video noise in the new NUC-FujiNet prototype happening when first booting up and FujiNet was doing all of its initialization stuff prior to the menu coming up. So I have a version being manufactured where I flipped the ESP32 module around 180 to get it away from ANTIC and GTIA. And I should have one of those assembled late next week, and will be able see if that made a difference or not.

 

Now to be honest I also had a video cable with a flaky ground that was aggravating the issue, and of course a 576NUC+ implementation is quite a bit different then an 800. However if I recall correctly the FujiNet on your system sits directly next to where the video jack is, and could be influencing what you are seeing. Mind you I only saw the video noise on power-up.

 

I'm currently still using (until I decide to have another go with my replacement Sophia 2) S-video out I installed underneath my 800, but it's feeding directly from the monitor port, so I don't know how much difference it makes, but I've not noticed any video noise beyond the minute amount I've always gotten, which is just the usual faint vertical lines, which depend on the color(s) on screen for me to notice them at all. Of course I am power via USB since it is the 800. But also I do feed my S-video through a VGA converter too, a very good one which I'm sure filters some noise too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...