IGNORED

FastBasic 4.5 - 2021 release

7 hours ago, dmsc said:

No, that should not happen. Please, post the code that shows an error (you can take a picture of your TV or monitor). As @vitoco said, "bad loop" is also shown on other constructs. I should clarify parser errors, currently the possible errors are:

- "undef label" : You tried to call a PROC that was never defined.
- "too long" : The current line is too long for the parser - this means that the generated code is more than 256 bytes or that the expression is too complicated.
- "bad loop" : This means that the parser found an "ELSE/ENDIF/ENDPROC/WEND/LOOP/UNTIL/NEXT" without the corresponding starting "IF/PROC/WHILE/DO/REPEAT/FOR", or an "EXIT" outside a loop.
- "no end loop/proc/if" : After the file was completely parsed, there is a missing loop ending.

- "parse error" : The parser could not parse a complete line. Note that the parser is greedy, it always parses the longest possible part of a line, so the reported position is the rightmost position which the parser could reach.

@dmsc Here are pictures of my code. My code is using the TIME function to count seconds. I would not be surprised if I made an error in my code construction.

loop-1.thumb.jpg.7e995ad12f81c9798aacde9b9cbf2a0b.jpg

You can see the "bad loop" error on top. Then I simplify my loop.

loop-2.thumb.jpg.8da0b0c486ec1b4eed52dbfe8eb791f8.jpg

I assumed that loop would run one time. Error persists. Then I removed the loop completely.

loop-3.thumb.jpg.dc6ca026b75d680f29e9038641f96822.jpg

I still see "bad loop" error ... but I deleted my loop.

7 hours ago, dmsc said:

This was added as popular request: whenever you modify the source, the IDE will ask to save the old file before loading a new one (or any other operation that clears the buffer). You can skip the save by pressing CONTROL-C, then you will see the LOAD prompt.

Ohh, this feels a little awkward and was not intuitive. The prompt says, "Save?" like a question so I say "N" to be no. Instead the IDE saves my code under a file named N. Maybe change the prompt to be "Save? (Esc to skip)" or something more obvious like that?

Did I miss this in the manual?

Thank you! :) 

Please excuse me for the expansive code. I have tried to cut it short, but whenever I do, I am not able to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue. I will show you some code which does not work.

@HELLO

' Get the current time
S=TIME

' Clear memory for the database
@ClearMemory 180,10

' Inform user that the DB is being instantiated
? "Instantiating DB"

' Location of the DB in memory
DBLocation=32768

' One off step to set up the DB
@InstantiateDB DBLocation,1024,16,240

' Note that the DB has been instantiated
? "DB Instantiated"
@TEST

' Sample call to DB system
@GetByteFromDB 0,0,5

' Get the final completion time and inform the user of the running time
T=TIME
? "Time=";(T-S)

@EndlessLoop

' Sets up the database in memory (one-off step)
PROC InstantiateDB Location Size DBVarOffset DBVarSize
 DBVarLocation=Location+DBVarOffset

@ClearMemory Location,Size
 @SetDBHeader Location,256,DBVarLocation

ENDPROC

PROC SetDBHeader Location Size DBVarLocation
 VarTable=DBVarLocation
 DPOKE Location,VarTable
ENDPROC

PROC ClearMemory Location Size
 EXEC FillMemory Location,Size,0
ENDPROC

PROC FillMemory Location Size Value
 FOR I=Location TO Location+Size-1
  POKE I,Value
 NEXT I
ENDPROC

PROC EndlessLoop
 WHILE 1=1
 WEND
ENDPROC

' Table Layout
' 0: Record Width (Bytes)
' 1: Cartridge bank (0=In memory)
' 2-5: Table Name (4 chars of name at least)
' 6: 0= Read/Write, 1=Read only
' 7,8: MaxNo Records
' 9,10: Pointer to record 0 of table
' 11-15: Currently unused
PROC HELLO
  TEST=DPEEK(1)
ENDPROC

PROC TEST
 DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
ENDPROC

PROC GetDataLocation DataTableNo DataRecordNo DataOffset
 DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
 DBPTR_CurrentTable=DPEEK(DBVarLocation+(DataTableNo*16))
 DBBYTE_RecordWidth=PEEK(DBPTR_CurrentTable)
 TEMPByte=PEEK(DBPTR_CurrentTable+1)
 'DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
 'DataLocation=DataLocation+(DBBYTE_RecordWidth*DataRecordNo)+DataOffset
ENDPROC

PROC SwitchMediaOn
 IF PEEK(TEMPByte) = 1
  ' Do some cartridge bank switching routine here
 ENDIF
ENDPROC

PROC SwitchMediaOff
 IF PEEK(TEMPByte) = 1
  ' Do some cartridge bank switching routine here
 ENDIF
ENDPROC

PROC GetByteFromDB TableNo RecordNo Offset
 @GetDataLocation TableNo,RecordNo,Offset
 @SwitchMediaOn

'DBByte_Return=PEEK(DataLocation)
 @SwitchMediaOff
ENDPROC

PROC GetWordFromDB TableNo RecordNo Offset
 @GetDataLocation TableNo,RecordNo,Offset
 @SwitchMediaOn
 'DBByte_Return=DPEEK(DataLocation)
 @SwitchMediaOff
ENDPROC

When I compile, this is what I get:

C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\FastBasic4.5>fb-int MyBas\Lib.bas
Compiling 'Lib.bas' to assembler.
C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\FastBasic4.5\MyBas\Lib.bas:75:7: parse error, expected: '='
ENDPROC<--- HERE -->

I do not think that there is an actual problem with the ENDPROC. If there was, it should have complained at line 75, the end of the HELLO procedure.

There seems to be something odd going on if you have a DPEEK inside a PROC, I could be wrong though.

6 hours ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

I still see "bad loop" error ... but I deleted my loop.

Bug found! The problem was caused by the NEXT_TIME variable.

It seems that the line

NEXT_TIME = CURR_TIME + 60

It seems that the parser is splitting the variable name as "NEXT" and "_TIME".

The NEXT component in the FOR-NEXT structure does not require the variable name like in Atari BASIC, and the remaining statement is discarded.

This parses OK:

FOR X=1 TO 5
? X
NEXT_TIME=10

but the loop runs only 1 time.

It is strange how the code following the "NEXT" is parsed. With some expressions parses OK, but it fails with a "parser error" on another ones. It also fails if there is an undeclared variable name.

I pasted your code in the IDE and it failed in the ENDPROC of the TEST procedure, like waiting for something different than "PROC" after the "END", or complaining for the "END".

I isolated the problem into this:

@TEST

PROC TEST
DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
ENDPROC

Trying to compile this, I get a "bad loop" error, but if I rename the variable "DATALOCATION" to "DATLOCATION" (without an "A"), it parses and runs OK.

Just like with the "NEXT_TIME" variable, the problem seems to be that using some reserved words at the beginning of variables names breaks something in the parser.

On 3/9/2021 at 12:45 AM, dmsc said:

- The parser is more robust to syntax errors, I discovered some erroneous inputs that could slow down the parser a lot.

I tried this test code in version 4.4 (with "EXEC" instead of "@") and I got the same "bad loop" error, so it is not something new. ?

I didn't face this problem before, because all my FastBasic programs are tenliners, with single char variable names....

Hi!

7 hours ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

@dmsc Here are pictures of my code. My code is using the TIME function to count seconds. I would not be surprised if I made an error in my code construction.

Oh, the problem is the variable named "NEXT_TIME", this is parsed as a "NEXT" followed by garbage, but at this time is too late, as the "NEXT" triggered the "loop error".

17 minutes ago, vitoco said:

It seems that the line

It seems that the parser is splitting the variable name as "NEXT" and "_TIME".

Yes. I tough that this couldn't happen, but the condition was 

17 minutes ago, vitoco said:

The NEXT component in the FOR-NEXT structure does not require the variable name like in Atari BASIC, and the remaining statement is discarded.

This parses OK:

FOR X=1 TO 5
? X
NEXT_TIME=10

but the loop runs only 1 time.

It is strange how the code following the "NEXT" is parsed. With some expressions parses OK, but it fails with a "parser error" on another ones. It also fails if there is an undeclared variable name.

Yes, the parser is really confused after the NEXT is found.

But this can be fixes, by checking there is an end-of-line before checking if there is a FOR loop. Fixed version attached.

7 hours ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

Ohh, this feels a little awkward and was not intuitive. The prompt says, "Save?" like a question so I say "N" to be no. Instead the IDE saves my code under a file named N. Maybe change the prompt to be "Save? (Esc to skip)" or something more obvious like that?

Did I miss this in the manual?

Yes, it is at the start of the manual. Prompts are all the same length: SAVE, LOAD, NAME, LINE, because the code to input the line is the same in all cases - it is not a simple "INPUT" to filter-out control keys, see the code at https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/blob/master/src/editor.bas#L314  and also the InputFileName procedure.

Perhaps I could add a "NAME" after all the prompts, this will add 11 bytes to the IDE, like "SAVE NAME?", "LOAD NAME?", "EXEC NAME?", and "LINE NUM ?". What do you think?

Have Fun!

fastbasic-v4.5.1.atr

• Like 1

Hi!

25 minutes ago, vitoco said:

I pasted your code in the IDE and it failed in the ENDPROC of the TEST procedure, like waiting for something different than "PROC" after the "END", or complaining for the "END".

@TEST

PROC TEST
DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
ENDPROC

Trying to compile this, I get a "bad loop" error, but if I rename the variable "DATALOCATION" to "DATLOCATION" (without an "A"), it parses and runs OK.

Yes, this is basically the same as above, but harder to fix... Here, the parser sees "DATA", then the word "LOCATION", so it defines a new label called "LOCATION" and stores the label address. Problem is that *before* storing the label address, the parser needs to emit a JUMP over the data, so it adds a "fake loop", this allows the parser to detect the end of the DATA line and store that address in the JUMP.

Now, when the parser continues, it finally error outs because the "()" after the DATA label are not there, so it roll-backs the parsing state - but not the loop state, so the DATA loop will be kept open. Rolling back the loop state is not possible, as there is too much state to keep.

Fro the time being, I prefer to simply document in the manual that variable names can't start with "DATA" (or "IF"). In fact, in Atari BASIC variable names can't start with any statement, I have tried very hard to make the parser more flexible by allowing almost all names.

Have Fun!

Hi!

1 hour ago, snicklin said:

When I compile, this is what I get:

C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\FastBasic4.5>fb-int MyBas\Lib.bas
Compiling 'Lib.bas' to assembler.
C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\FastBasic4.5\MyBas\Lib.bas:75:7: parse error, expected: '='
ENDPROC<--- HERE -->

I do not think that there is an actual problem with the ENDPROC. If there was, it should have complained at line 75, the end of the HELLO procedure.

The error is really surprising, but expected ?

As I explained above, the variable that starts with DATA above that line starts a DATA statement, so the parser thinks that we are inside a DATA. when the ENDPROC is parsed, it can't parse as a real ENDPROC, as this is not valid inside a DATA, so it assumes it should ve a variable named "ENDPROC", and it misses the "=" setting the value of the variable.

I will add detecting of variables starting with "DATA" to the cross-compiler, so it errors out in the line before, this will make the error code much easier to understand.

Have Fun!

1 hour ago, dmsc said:

In fact, in Atari BASIC variable names can't start with any statement, I have tried very hard to make the parser more flexible by allowing almost all names.

Atari BASIC has the LET statement to allow variable names to start with a reserved word. See this:

image.thumb.png.4c1a6f5a458d9427cb089fa2ec400401.png

Line 50 could be written as the following line and it would be OK:

50IFA=1ANDAND=5THENPRINTAND

You have done a very good work here by checking if the variable after the reserved word already exists (*), but it seems that there are some places where a variable is not required that bangs the parser, like in DATA and NEXT.

(*) The check for current variables sometimes might be confusing: a variable named IFA will be parsed OK on asignment by FastBasic only if A is not already used in the listing, but if multiple asignments are done to IFA variable, the parser will fail with a "no end loop/proc/if" error for the following assignments. Also, an asignment like SOUNDFX=1 might turn off sound voice 0 or 1 depending on the current value of FX variable, or it simply won't turn any voice and define the variable as expected if the FX variable does not exist (yet, at least for the current parsed line).

11 hours ago, vitoco said:

It seems that the line

@vitoco Thanks for jumping in with @dmsc to help me here. ?

OK - lesson learned. I should not start my variable names with statements. 

The code runs and I even compiled it to an executable file!

10 hours ago, dmsc said:

Yes, it is at the start of the manual. Prompts are all the same length: SAVE, LOAD, NAME, LINE, because the code to input the line is the same in all cases - it is not a simple "INPUT" to filter-out control keys, see the code at https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/blob/master/src/editor.bas#L314  and also the InputFileName procedure.

Perhaps I could add a "NAME" after all the prompts, this will add 11 bytes to the IDE, like "SAVE NAME?", "LOAD NAME?", "EXEC NAME?", and "LINE NUM ?". What do you think?

Have Fun!

@dmsc Looks like I need to (re)read the manually more carefully. I was probably too excited to jump into coding. :D 

I think this is where I just need to learn to use the tool as it is. ;) 

If you are going to spend energy updating this platform then I would like to see better error reporting. Give a line number where the error is found? I don't know how complicated or not that would be.

Again - very, very good work here! 

Hi!

15 minutes ago, 1200XL M.U.L.E. said:

Looks like I need to (re)read the manually more carefully. I was probably too excited to jump into coding. :D 

I think this is where I just need to learn to use the tool as it is. ;) 

If you are going to spend energy updating this platform then I would like to see better error reporting. Give a line number where the error is found? I don't know how complicated or not that would be.

This is already done: on parsing errors, the cursor is placed in the line and column of the error!

Have Fun!

• Haha 1

Hi!

20 hours ago, 777ismyname said:

I will help some more on the manual! All of the previous work and a lot more I had done was on a laptop that was stolen a few months back. Just let me know what I need to do!

Thanks (again) for the offer. I don't have specific needs for the manual, normally is other people that notices the omissions.

For example, @vitoco noted that the INC and DEC statements does not mention that they do work on word arrays but not in byte of floating point arrays. I will add a note to both.

Problem is, the manual will keep growing and probably become harder to read, specially for a novice. There is a line between writing a "specification document" or a "beginners guide", and I think that the manual should be both approachable without being too technical.

Perhaps it is better to write two manuals, one more like a guide and other with the full description of the statements - but having too much documentation also is not good, as people will not read it and won't find what they need.

Any toughs?

Have Fun!

• Like 1

Hi!

12 hours ago, vitoco said:

@TEST

PROC TEST
DATALOCATION=DPEEK(1)
ENDPROC

Ok, I also fixed this. Was easier than expected, I split the parsing of the label and the starting of the DATA/DLI/PROC (the three use the same code), and now the above parses ok.

Current version 4.5.2 attached.

25 minutes ago, snicklin said:

Ahhhh!!!!!

I went around in circles, unaware it was something as silly as the name of my variable!

As I am compiling everything, I do not mind long and descriptive variable names, forgetting its name could clash with a statement.

Just use attached version, or download the cross-compiler and manual from github: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/releases/

Have Fun!

fastbasic-v4.5.2.atr

• Like 1

Fast Basic has bought something amazing to the Atari Community. Old TurboBasic XL, Basic XL / XE games, may be able to be ported to Fast Basic and bring a whole new life to them. I am digging up some old games and see what I can do with them.

I figured out how to use external data like for fonts, sprites, ML routines, music.

Inside a separate assembly file do:

.segment "ALIGNDATA"
CHARSET_GAME:
  .incbin         "GAMEFONT.FNT"

CHARSET_GAME_HI = >CHARSET_GAME

.export CHARSET_GAME

.export CHARSET_GAME_HI

Inside the program:

POKE 756,@CHARSET_GAME_HI

ML routines. If you still have the original assembly. You need to eliminate the first PLA that grabs the # of bytes pushed onto the 6502 stack. I believe the parameters are in reverse order.

Hi!

2 hours ago, CuloMajia said:

Fast Basic has bought something amazing to the Atari Community. Old TurboBasic XL, Basic XL / XE games, may be able to be ported to Fast Basic and bring a whole new life to them. I am digging up some old games and see what I can do with them.

I figured out how to use external data like for fonts, sprites, ML routines, music.

Inside a separate assembly file do:

.segment "ALIGNDATA"
CHARSET_GAME:
  .incbin         "GAMEFONT.FNT"

CHARSET_GAME_HI = >CHARSET_GAME

.export CHARSET_GAME

.export CHARSET_GAME_HI

Inside the program:

POKE 756,@CHARSET_GAME_HI

As "CHARSET_GAME_HI" is 8 bit only, you can make the code a little smaller by using " .exportzp CHARSET_GAME_HI" and then " POKE 756, @@CHARSET_GAME_HI ".

The "@@" means "import from assembly as 8 bit", the ".exportzp" means "export as an 8 bit".

2 hours ago, CuloMajia said:

ML routines. If you still have the original assembly. You need to eliminate the first PLA that grabs the # of bytes pushed onto the 6502 stack. I believe the parameters are in reverse order.

I suspect the parameters are in the same order, but I'm starting to doubt it as you are the second one that said this ? 

Anyway, most ML routines could be replaced with usage of "DLI", "MOVE" and "PMGRAPHICS".

Have Fun!

Hi!

31 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

That's a bit of an stretch/abuse as it means it's a zero page address, which just happens to need 8 bits.

Yes ? 

But, LD65 only support address for relocation, not arbitrary numbers, so the only way to export an 8-bit symbol from CA65 that I know of is using exportzp.

From the manual https://cc65.github.io/doc/ca65.html#ss8.1:

ca65 assigns each segment and each symbol an address size. This is true, even if the symbol is not used as an address. You may also think of a value range of the symbol instead of an address size.

Possible address sizes are:

• Zeropage or direct (8 bits)
  • Absolute (16 bits)
  • Far (24 bits)
  • Long (32 bits)

Have Fun!

• 1 month later...

This is really a great BASIC Compiler. It is fast and slim. I love it for fast prototyping.

THANX A LOT! GREAT WORK!

One wish: Could I get a FBC with SpartaDOS command line support, e.g. FBC source.BAS executable.COM ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:19 PM, dmsc said:

Hi!

Thanks (again) for the offer. I don't have specific needs for the manual, normally is other people that notices the omissions.

For example, @vitoco noted that the INC and DEC statements does not mention that they do work on word arrays but not in byte of floating point arrays. I will add a note to both.

Problem is, the manual will keep growing and probably become harder to read, specially for a novice. There is a line between writing a "specification document" or a "beginners guide", and I think that the manual should be both approachable without being too technical.

Perhaps it is better to write two manuals, one more like a guide and other with the full description of the statements - but having too much documentation also is not good, as people will not read it and won't find what they need.

Any toughs?

Have Fun!

Hmm, I will play about with a few ideas and send them over pretty soon. Things have been a bit turbulent here, but have hopefully settled down for a while. 

I agree 100% on the points you raised. 

P.S: looking forward to seeing something about Fast Basic on the Compy CLC-88 one of these days over at the Catrin Labs website :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi!

This is really a great BASIC Compiler. It is fast and slim. I love it for fast prototyping.

THANX A LOT! GREAT WORK!

Thank you for your comments!!

One wish: Could I get a FBC with SpartaDOS command line support, e.g. FBC source.BAS executable.COM ?

To not miss this, I added a bug report on github: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/issues/46

Have Fun!

Edited by dmsc

• 3 months later...

This is an incredible project, DS! Real labour of love. Looking forward to playing with FastBasic as I've been getting really frustrated with line numbers in Atari Basic. Wondering if you have a PDF version of the manual available? Call me old fashioned but I like having paper documentation on hand sometimes :)

Hi!

15 minutes ago, nebpehtira said:

This is an incredible project, DS! Real labour of love. Looking forward to playing with FastBasic as I've been getting really frustrated with line numbers in Atari Basic. Wondering if you have a PDF version of the manual available? Call me old fashioned but I like having paper documentation on hand sometimes :)

Thank you, hope you do some great programs with FastBasic :) 

You can download the PDF manual at: https://github.com/dmsc/fastbasic/releases/

Have Fun!

• Like 1

Feel silly on this one as it's so simple, but can't see the error! Just a basic selection IF/ELIF/ELSE structure for a user menu... getting a BAD LOOP error when parse/run? Initially left out THEN as assumed wasn't needed but got the bad loop error so thought maybe they are but still no joy. 

PRINT "Select option..."
   INPUT option
     IF option = 1 THEN EXEC trimix
      ELIF option = 2 THEN EXEC mod
      ELIF option = 3 THEN EXEC end
      ELIF option = 4 THEN EXEC min_od
      ELIF option = 5 THEN EXEC part_fill
      ELIF option = 6 THEN EXEC ccr_blend
      ELIF option = 7 THEN EXEC density
      ELIF option = 8 THEN EXEC shutdown
      ELSE EXEC init
     ENDIF