IGNORED

Atari 1200XL bits needed

kbj

Hi all,

Managed to pick up and NTSC 1200XL with I've just repaired.. now it got me thinking..

'I wonder if anyone has a keyboard and maybe a 1200XL case lying around the place that they would want sell'..

I realise that this is probably a looooooong shot - but no ask, no get ?

Cheers,

KbJ

1 minute ago, bob1200xl said:

I may have some ugly, broken 1200XL parts.

When you say 'case', what exactly do you mean? Just the major plastic pieces, top and bottom case?

Where are you located?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Since I only have the motherboard, I was looking to make the 1200XL whole again.. full case and keyboard ?

I'm in the UK (Scotland)..

Cheers,

Mark.

Then, what you really want is a whole 1200XL.

I am inclined to provide a 1200XL to users who do not already have a 1200XL, but I don't get a lot of requests...

How do you feel about ugly (yellow), broken (bad k/b) units?

The last 1200XL I shipped over there cost almost $100 for postage.

Bob

13 minutes ago, bob1200xl said:

I have a few bad keyboards... You can get a new mylar from Best that fixes a keyboard.

Bob

I will take a couple of 800 expansion-bay covers (detachable), if available and not damaged or broken...

8-)

Edited by Faicuai

53 minutes ago, bob1200xl said:

What are you looking for?

Bob

Two of these (top left-and-right of the picture):

EA9E495B-78D9-4ECE-AD13-858250B84937.thumb.jpeg.36762a50501b4702899ac44d356c5538.jpeg

Either those whole assemblies, or just their metal plates (if in good condition).

Will take care of related expenses.

5 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

Then, what you really want is a whole 1200XL.

I am inclined to provide a 1200XL to users who do not already have a 1200XL, but I don't get a lot of requests...

How do you feel about ugly (yellow), broken (bad k/b) units?

The last 1200XL I shipped over there cost almost $100 for postage.

Bob

Hi @bob1200xl,

I guess as long as the case is complete I could try a bit of retro brighting?  Also, is the keyboard repairable?  

How much were you thinking? and can you PM me some pics?

thanks,

Mark.

Edited by kbj

I'd be looking for the leftmost part of the metal strip for a 1200XL. If anyone happens to have one left from an otherwise unsalvageable machine, I'd be happy to take it. As it's a cosmetic issue only, I wouldn't want to see a complete top case torn apart to fix it.

IMG_3910.thumb.jpg.b0974019d0f70b0d49d2675152d5748a.jpg

22 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Two of these (top left-and-right of the picture):

Either those whole assemblies, or just their metal plates (if in good condition).

Will take care of related expenses.

I only know of covers on a whole machine, not by itself. I'll keep my eyes open for one...

Aren't there two versions of that cover, not interchangeable? One has shielding in the top, one does not (later version).

Bob

On 3/9/2021 at 1:42 PM, kbj said:

I guess as long as the case is complete I could try a bit of retro brighting?  Also, is the keyboard repairable? 

Retrobriting worked great on my 1200XL, and the original keyboard membrane can usually be repaired if it's failed in the typical way, at the point where it interfaces with the connector. Even if it can't, there is a new-manufacture replacement membrane available from Best Electronics that worked perfectly for me (though I saved my original membrane too as it turned out to be repairable.)

When retrobriting, disassemble the shell completely, separating the brown and smoked panels from the shell so you can treat the white plastic only.

Edited by rmzalbar

18 hours ago, bob1200xl said:

You will need a power supply, which I do not have (220v). Is your m/b good? Can you fix the k/b?

Bob

Hi @bob1200xl

The motherboard is good - I've just repaired it (faulty regulator and one bad ram).  It boots to the colour Atari screen and I have a couple of cart games that run fine.  I don't need a PSU really - I have a 9Vac supply that works fine with it.  I repair all sorts of retro stuff so I'm happy to have a look at a keyboard.. But if you're a dab hand at repairing them, maybe I could pay you to fix and ship? ?

I've always wanted a 1200XL, so when this motherboard came up (in the USA, untested for spares) I jumped on it.  Really just need the other parts (case and keyboard) to bring her back from the dead and into my collection ?

Cheers,

Mark.