IGNORED

Atari 5200 USB MaxiCart announcement

OldGuru

We are happy to announce that the development of the Atari 5200 MaxiCart is complete. The first production run is under way and we expect to offer it for sale through our web site in the next few weeks.

The MaxiCart is a special Atari 5200 cartridge that allows gamers as well as game developers to download game files using a USB port into an on-board ROM using loader software installed on a PC. Once, the game file is transferred to the MaxiCart, the game can be played on any Atari 5200 console just as any other Atari 5200 game. The cartridge will retain the game until a different one is loaded. The MaxiCart can be loaded from any MicrosoftTM Windows PC, it includes the game loader software with a graphical user interface and a USB cable.

For more information about the MaxiCart check our web site at: http://www.vgwiz.com

OG.

will it support games like Super Pac-Man and Bounty Bob Strikes Back?

but will this cart support homebrew demos or *new/odd* BINS like the Menu cart or the Ticker Tape Demo?

Bank switching is not supported in this product. Therefore, games like BBSB are not supported on this cartridge.

Basically, any game that you could burn into an EPROM (up to 32KB) and use the standard 32KB PCB currently available for homebrew developpers, should work on the MaxiCart as well. For example, games like "Koffi" or "Castle Blast" work fine on this cartrdige.

We have tested a bunch of games and had no issue playing them on our console. If there is a specific game you may be interested in, please let me know, I'll test it on the MaxiCart and report the result.

Hope that answers your questions,

OG.

We do not plan to offer a full blown loader for the MAC due to the complexity of the project. We are considering offering a MAC loader at a later date depending on the number of people interested.

You'd get some interest. I'd be one of the interested (even though I have all the 5200 games known to exist :D) At any rate, that program would probably run to a certain degree on a Mac if it is windows based (no DOS) and does not use an .exe file

• 3 weeks later...
We do not plan to offer a full blown loader for the MAC due to the complexity of the project. We are considering offering a MAC loader at a later date depending on the number of people interested.

You'd get some interest. I'd be one of the interested (even though I have all the 5200 games known to exist :D) At any rate, that program would probably run to a certain degree on a Mac if it is windows based (no DOS) and does not use an .exe file

There's definetly some interest here. Though I'm writing my games on a PC, my main machine is a dual G4 Mac. I'd prefer not to fire it up on my PC or VPC if I don't have to.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know, with a little modification to your next incarnation 2.0 or whatever. You could build an internal menue system so the cart could load games off a USB hard drive (you know the little bitty 1mb things) Are you exploring this possibilty, or have plans for MMC based memory storage in the future?

• 2 months later...