IGNORED

CX52 on the Fritz

MrTrust

I've got two CX52s.  No issues generally, but this weekend I tried playing Bounty Bob Strikes Back with one of them, and it doesn't want to move to the left.  The other controller works fine.  I adjusted the POKEY pot according to the field service manual, and don't seem to have any issues with any other games, so not the end of the world, I guess.

I've read that there are variations from unit to unit with those pots, so I assume that's the culprit here.  Any suggestions?

Bounty Bob is a really good test game for good working and calibrated controllers/console combo. If you can get bounty bob working in all directions well, then you should be golden for all other games. There is a proper calibration method to do on the 5200, but even with a 5200 adjusted to factory spec, the pots in the controllers themselves might drift over time or have variances between them that cause the factory calibration to still not quite cut it. In those instances, you make sure the 5200 is factory calibrated first, and then physically adjust the position of the arms themselves on the actual controllers to 'dial' in further.

On 3/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Bounty Bob is a really good test game for good working and calibrated controllers/console combo. If you can get bounty bob working in all directions well, then you should be golden for all other games. There is a proper calibration method to do on the 5200, but even with a 5200 adjusted to factory spec, the pots in the controllers themselves might drift over time or have variances between them that cause the factory calibration to still not quite cut it. In those instances, you make sure the 5200 is factory calibrated first, and then physically adjust the position of the arms themselves on the actual controllers to 'dial' in further.

They've still got to fit into the holes in the actuator plates, so I take it this means removing the arms from the pot shaft and repositioning them?  What's the best way to go about that?  They don't seem to want to come off, and I'm a little hesitant to grab some pliers and just yank them off, or is there no choice?

56 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, I see.  So, say I can't get Bob to move left.  What I'm going to want to do is push that X axis pot all the way right and keep pushing until it goes beyond where it's supposed to?

Yes but it won't take much. Might only need a 1/2mm as Bounty Bob is pretty much the most sensitive game I've come across on this and especially in regards to left/right. It will take some work finding the sweet spot for it and you might mark where everything started from before adjusting things too much.

If you can get bounty bob working well, and Gyruss is playing well, then you are golden at that point.