IGNORED

Atari 800 Replacement Keyboard

18 hours ago, venom4728a said:

Instead of the keycap adapters maybe a replacement stem could be made to replace the stem in the key switch like was done here in the 130xe keyboard rebuild tread. This might possibly reduce the key wobble?

That's an interesting solution. The 800 key caps have a bit of an angle to them, so I'm not sure how that would work with them going into the switch. Unfortunately, I don't have a resin printer and my FDM printer wouldn't be able to handle the tolerances so I don't think I could try it yet. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've ordered some PCBs and Cherry MX brown switches.  I'd like to point out for others that the keyswitches required are the versions with fixing pins, no diode or jumper, so parts ending in 1NW.  If anyone in the Los Angeles area is interested in building one, let me know since I don't need five circuit boards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 7:43 PM, Panther said:

I've ordered some PCBs and Cherry MX brown switches.  I'd like to point out for others that the keyswitches required are the versions with fixing pins, no diode or jumper, so parts ending in 1NW.  If anyone in the Los Angeles area is interested in building one, let me know since I don't need five circuit boards.

not in the LA area any more, am now in Phoenix, AZ if you would consider shipping.

Ken

For those who are dismantling a Hi-Tech keyboard and might be wondering, the rod under the spacebar is held in place by two plastic clips that pull straight up from the keyboard.  I haven't had a close look at the Stackpole yet, but perhaps someone else can describe the removal.  It just wasn't obvious until I started prying at it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 7:31 PM, Multifarious Industries said:

@computergui Glad it worked so well for you!

Has anybody else built one yet? I'm curious if the adapters for the original keys are working for people. If they are, I might get some more PCBs made and make kits if people are still interested? 

I'm at the point of taking the plunge; I have Atari keycaps and can source my own switches but if you have a stock of boards and switch extenders I'd like to talk further.

Thanks for doing this.

-CH-

On 6/14/2022 at 10:43 PM, Panther said:

If you have a spare board I would like to acquire one. 

Thanks,

-CH-