IGNORED

Retropie TI99sim-sdl - mapping esc key to joystick

rra

I just updated my Retropie installation to 4.7.1 from an older version, so I decided to install the TI-994A emulator.  I am using an old Pi Zero, so I don't have the horsepower to run the Mame TI-994A driver, so I am running TI99sim-sdl from the experimental packages build.

Everything works fine. The "1" and "2" keys are mapped to fire buttons automatically, so I can select "2" to launch most games.  Within each game, the joystick works and the fire button works.  So I have been enjoying several games I had only previously played on other 8-bit ports.   The problem happens when I try to exit the game.  Select-Start doesn't work, so I have to use the keyboard to hit the escape button.  This is the only system I have installed on Retroipie where I have to use a keyboard, and it is only for one key!   There are workarounds for Intellivision, Colecovision, the Atari 5200, and the Atari 800 where important keys are mapped to the joystick so you don't have to connect a keyboard.

I looked at the /opt/retropie/configs/ti99/emulators.cfg file and didn't see where the keyboard keys were mapped to the joystick.  Are the "1" and "2" keys mapped to the fire buttons hardcoded in the emulator or is there a .cfg file somewhere that defines the key mappings?  Is there any way to configure the "esc" key to map to the select-start functionality of exiting a game?  The TI99sim-sdl emulator is so close to being usable with only a joystick through the default installation on Retropie.  It is frustrating that it is only one simple esc key away from ditching the keyboard!

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

1 hour ago, rra said:

I just updated my Retropie installation to 4.7.1 from an older version, so I decided to install the TI-994A emulator.  I am using an old Pi Zero, so I don't have the horsepower to run the Mame TI-994A driver, so I am running TI99sim-sdl from the experimental packages build.

Everything works fine. The "1" and "2" keys are mapped to fire buttons automatically, so I can select "2" to launch most games.  Within each game, the joystick works and the fire button works.  So I have been enjoying several games I had only previously played on other 8-bit ports.   The problem happens when I try to exit the game.  Select-Start doesn't work, so I have to use the keyboard to hit the escape button.  This is the only system I have installed on Retroipie where I have to use a keyboard, and it is only for one key!   There are workarounds for Intellivision, Colecovision, the Atari 5200, and the Atari 800 where important keys are mapped to the joystick so you don't have to connect a keyboard.

I looked at the /opt/retropie/configs/ti99/emulators.cfg file and didn't see where the keyboard keys were mapped to the joystick.  Are the "1" and "2" keys mapped to the fire buttons hardcoded in the emulator or is there a .cfg file somewhere that defines the key mappings?  Is there any way to configure the "esc" key to map to the select-start functionality of exiting a game?  The TI99sim-sdl emulator is so close to being usable with only a joystick through the default installation on Retropie.  It is frustrating that it is only one simple esc key away from ditching the keyboard!

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

Have a look at this topic (Let's create a TI99 handheld! - TI-99/4A Computers - AtariAge Forums). I've done a modified version of the last version of Ti99Sim to be used without keyboard for the GPi Case. It's working on Retropie on the Pi Zero.

Edited by tmop69
  • Thanks 1