IGNORED

Joystick options

AtariNostalgia

If you don't want cramped hands, I strongly suggest staying away from the original TI Pain Sticks (the ones TI sold--either version). The older version will bite into the flesh of your hand (the ball on top is shaped like one of those slotted honey-dipper balls) and the later ones are just a weird size/shape that is only suitable for children under the age of seven or so. In larger hands, they just hurt. . .even though they do work well otherwise.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AtariNostalgia said:

Yes, I'm using them, that's why I am asking what are modern alternatives that work with Greg (arcadeshopper)'s adapters.

Are joysticks still being made?

A Wico Command Control c64 controller is what i use now days. Anywhere from 10 - 25 us$ on ebay.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&hs=sa&channel=fs&tbm=shop&sxsrf=ALeKk00fTR1cn9oMuSHME_vxzlzWv83Z7g:1615414055948&q=wico+c64+joystick&tbs=vw:l,mr:1,merchagg:g6296794&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjs1uCn3qbvAhULVs0KHfpbBtMQsysIuw0oAA&biw=1600&bih=720

• Like 1

https://monsterjoysticks.com/retro-gaming-joystick-kits/8-16bit-retro-joystick-kits  has nice kits for the 8bit crowd.. (atari joysticks)

there's a gamepad on ebay that plugs in without an adapter, albiet player one only

I sell a gamepad which is just a reporposed sega controller and a single player adapter 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 5:09 PM, tmop69 said:

I've recently purchased one from this site: Retroradionics- home of Zx Spectrum replacement parts and omni laptop. It has a great value for money and works really fine with the TI99 (the autofire is not supported by the TI, but works on Amiga, C64, etc.).

Do these work without requiring adaptor? And if so which version did you select from the drop-down?

Many thanks.

18 minutes ago, Tetlee said:

Do these work without requiring adaptor? And if so which version did you select from the drop-down?

Many thanks.

These are standard Atari DB9, so for the TI the adapter is required. I've selected the Amiga version, that has 2 separate fire buttons. However, in the box they are including a cable that you can use to map both buttons to act as the same fire button. Of course you need to open the joystick, but it's an easy task.

The C64 version is also working fine with the TI (tested by a friend on the TI) and also the Atari should be fine.

The joystick has two configuration buttons, on the TI the left is pushed and the right no. The autofire is not working on the TI, but this should be normal. I've used it yesterday with MunchMan and it's really great! ? 

In attachment the Guide, that should clarify all the questions.

ArcadeR - User Guide (1.2).pdf

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

These are standard Atari DB9, so for the TI the adapter is required. I've selected the Amiga version, that has 2 separate fire buttons. However, in the box they are including a cable that you can use to map both buttons to act as the same fire button. Of course you need to open the joystick, but it's an easy task.

The C64 version is also working fine with the TI (tested by a friend on the TI) and also the Atari should be fine.

The joystick has two configuration buttons, on the TI the left is pushed and the right no. The autofire is not working on the TI, but this should be normal. I've used it yesterday with MunchMan and it's really great! ? 

In attachment the Guide, that should clarify all the questions.

ArcadeR - User Guide (1.2).pdf 823.91 kB · 2 downloads

You're a star, thank you once again. I think my package might include a joystick adaptor but will wait until I receive it to see and go from there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, oddemann said:

Anyone take the original TI joystick and made it into a converter?

Yeah. I took a pair of pain sticks and lopped them off near the controller. Also chopped the plugs off a pair of Atari-style better controllers, this time close to the plug. Joined them with the proper rewiring to adapt and I had a new pair with double-length cords!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Yeah. I took a pair of pain sticks and lopped them off near the controller. Also chopped the plugs off a pair of Atari-style better controllers, this time close to the plug. Joined them with the proper rewiring to adapt and I had a new pair with double-length cords!

How straightforward were they to wire together?

4 hours ago, Tetlee said:

How straightforward were they to wire together?

I did this many years ago. An easy solder job after stripping back the sheath and a exposing wire ends. I taped each wire individually, then taped the entire splice. Rinse and repeat for the second controller cord. Nowadays I would use thin heat-shrink tubing. In which case, don't forget to slide on the heat shrink before joining and soldering the wires! 

Anyway, as I said, it's held up well and hasn't needed a do-over yet. I've enjoyed having the extra length to get a comfy gaming position without dealing with too-short cords.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ed in SoDak said:

I did this many years ago. An easy solder job after stripping back the sheath and a exposing wire ends. I taped each wire individually, then taped the entire splice. Rinse and repeat for the second controller cord. Nowadays I would use thin heat-shrink tubing. In which case, don't forget to slide on the heat shrink before joining and soldering the wires! 

Anyway, as I said, it's held up well and hasn't needed a do-over yet. I've enjoyed having the extra length to get a comfy gaming position without dealing with too-short cords.

Picture of your fix?

I have the TI99 now and sure enough it came with the joystick adaptor so that gives me alot more options. Being in the UK though I can't see many brand new options to choose from, the vintage stuff is cool but I'd like brand new for now so I know it's properly working as I remember so many older joysticks would develop issues so don't want to shell out for a lemon.

The retroradionics stick that was linked to above looks great, but the EU one isn't available to the UK post Brexit it seems.

Anyone know of any reasonable priced sticks in the UK?

I found this which is a bit more than I'd like to spend https://amigakit.amiga.store/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=1172

And this one which I'm very tempted by but would be great if somebody is familiar with it https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Competition-Pro-Retro-Joystick-Replica-Amstrad-Spectrum-Atari-Amiga-C64-etc/184709159286

Thanks guys.

Edited by Tetlee