IGNORED

Mario Bros + POKEY: Does It Exist?

DrVenkman

I did a search but was surprised I couldn’t find anything.  I thought for sure I’d seen prior discussion several years ago about a hack of Mario Bros that added POKEY music to the title screen. I am away from my systems right now and can’t see if there are any such hacks contained in @Trebor’s ProPack but I thought for sure a forum search would turn up the prior thread(s) I thought I remembered. If anyone knows of such a hack or prior discussions about it, I’d appreciate a pointer. 

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I did POKEY music for this and a hack was planned but never finiahed.

That’s probably the thread I remember seeing. Too bad. Your music is fantastic and I’d love to play a version incorporating it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Might still happen ... you never know.

You heard it here first folks, Mario Bros PK coming soon. jk?

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Your music is fantastic and I’d love to play a version incorporating it.

+1

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

No, it uses the same music code as for Bentley Bear etc.

13 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yeah I thought so too. I was surprised to hear it had never been done. 

That is probably the reason.

This is pretty much what I have ... with some caveats:

1.  Coin pickup needs redoing

2.  I may redo all game sfx to 15 khz mode, that way we may be able to save a sound channel and still get the low tones needed for POW block and freeze block sounds

3.  All these are at POKEY @$4000 ... no $450 binaries here. 

The music, however, is fairly close to final.  I think we were at the stage of trying to ID the sounds in the original 7800 ROM.

mario bros sounds.zip

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 7

On 3/11/2021 at 10:57 AM, Synthpopalooza said:

Might still happen ... you never know.

Your sound effects are terrific. This was an important game of my childhood.

I'd rather see it on a newer, more-polished version.

Edited by darryl1970
Add file
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Your sound effects are terrific. This was an important game of my childhood.

I'd rather see it on a newer, more-polished version.

I've seen various sprite hacks over the years but never had a way to play them on real hardware. I've always enjoyed the retail cart just fine aside from the not-great title screen music. That single fix alone would do a lot to make more people give the game a try. It's actually quite fun and challenging.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I've seen various sprite hacks over the years but never had a way to play them on real hardware. I've always enjoyed the retail cart just fine aside from the not-great title screen music. That single fix alone would do a lot to make more people give the game a try. It's actually quite fun and challenging.

Even the sprite hacks are not enough. Mario is too short. He will always be stubby and scrunched, given the dimensions allowed. The Shellcreepers are wide enough, but there would be no way to add the animation when they get back up, just using the frames given. There are also not as many frames, so a lot is missing. It was pretty hard to work with when I hacked the graphics.

54 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Dk Jr. Is another example of a great game with horrible sound..

I deleted my post from earlier. Please don't think I am just being negative. I am more excited that the 7800 CAN do so much better. I would rather encourage people to try the arcade version. Try it on MAME or similar. See how smooth the animation is. Notice the feel and collision detection. Watch a YouTube video to see some of the strategies, which are unable to be done on the 7800. Notice the "cute" animation of the arcade.  The 7800 versions are based off of the NES version, and they are really poor copies of the copies. It's like they are twice-removed from being good. They were done in the "sweat shop" of software houses. Donkey Kong Junior is the best of the bunch, as far as being close to the NES version; Mario Bros was the worst.

I respect the fact that they will hold nostalgic value for those who only experienced those version, so I am not trying to discount the value of that. I also agree that updated sound will cover a littleof discomfort in playing. It's just that they miss SO MANY of the elements of the arcade, which make the games truly special. They miss point-leaching opportunities, collision is off, movement is sluggish and jerky, and animation is choppy. If you just tap the joystick in Mario Bros, Mario will travel the entire length of the screen without changing his frame.

Unless somebody dug in and ripped it apart, like @tep392 did for DK XM, I think a re-write version would be the best. The catch is that big brother might come down pretty hard on somebody remaking a M-a-r-i-o game.

It was games like the ones mentioned above that made me think the 7800 was a weak system. I realize now that the 7800 can do so much better.

I do not intend on going any further with this, at this time. This is just a rough proof of concept. I already spent too much time on this, but look at the difference. Mario is still missing some subtleties in control, but he should be more like this.

PlumberBuddies(RoughMockup).a78

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 9

17 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

Even the sprite hacks are not enough ...

I understand everything you're saying and I totally get it (especially the part about not drawing the ire and the painful Wrench of A Certain Plumber's legal team.) :)

That's why I asked if there was a simple title page sound hack. It would seem to be a pretty minimal change over all, won't ever result in any kind of commercial release, but would still improve the player's experience as a whole. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trebor said:

*Prays to Popeye gods to have a conversation with Mari Plumber Buddies gods to make this happen*

Also asked for mansion and yacht.

I think I pushed my luck with one big-N title, especially since it is the one that wasn't released on the 7800. ?

Hoping they don't care as much, since it isn't their character.

Edited by darryl1970
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

I do not intend on going any further with this, at this time. This is just a rough proof of concept. I already spent too much time on this, but look at the difference. Mario is still missing some subtleties in control, but he should be more like this.

Yeah; we've heard that one before. Wasn't Popeye just supposed to be a simple demo, and not a full game?  ? 

• Like 1