Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Time has finally come to create Super Pro Utopia / Shangri-la

 

Why am I telling you this? I need ideas on what the game needs. First thing off, it needs a one player mode. I am sure many of you might come up with some very creative ideas that I will not implement but I am hoping to find a few gems in there that I will.

 

So... please open up the flood gates and tell me what you would like to see in Utopia 2. I have no idea how popular this game was back in the day. Maybe no one cares about it which would allow me to go work on another game :)

  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome! One of my favorite games! Especially for 2 players and kids.

I will brainstorm some ideas.

 

Offhand i can think of a setting to allow police boats to smash pirates....which then maybe should have more pirates spawn too when that setting is on.

Also aility to have longer terms and more terms too.

 

Edited by stupus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about an option to play as the pirates and plunder your opponent’s island rather than focus so much on developing your own. Why grow crops when you can steal them?

No idea how complicated this would be, just a thought

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One player mode. (Either simple one player only for "practice" or one player vs. computer.)

Different maps, and/or procedurally-generated maps (with constraints to make sure they're actually playable) would be good. While the default maps are good, you end up using the same layout every time (I still have the hand-drawn maps my sister and I usually used every game.)

Maybe larger landmasses, with scrolling, for longer games? (Split screen for two-player.)

IMG_0225.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, IntvCasey said:

I’m excited for this David! I love utopia 😎.  Shawn is also a big fan. 

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! 

I want! I want! 

Make sure I'm on the list!  

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Intvfun said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! 

I want! I want! 

Make sure I'm on the list!  

 

 

I knew you would like this lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news David! This tops my wish list of SP upgrades. Certainly one player mode would be the first thing on the suggestions list. Different islands and different variables around events and building options would make my list as well. Thanks for digging into this one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, intvdave said:

Time has finally come to create Super Pro Utopia / Shangri-la

 

Why am I telling you this? I need ideas on what the game needs. First thing off, it needs a one player mode. I am sure many of you might come up with some very creative ideas that I will not implement but I am hoping to find a few gems in there that I will.

 

So... please open up the flood gates and tell me what you would like to see in Utopia 2. I have no idea how popular this game was back in the day. Maybe no one cares about it which would allow me to go work on another game :)

 

I like Rev's suggestions for changes from the previous thread! 

 

Random/unpredictable weather

 

1 or 2 player 

Even though I couldn't always find a second player I still would play alone.

So a player vs computer option would be a good idea.

 

New maps

(maybe even better if maps are randomly chosen)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news David!

I'm all in on this project.

I have played Utopia a lot of times and made some ideas on how I would have liked it more.

I put them in order. Please not that I'm not a programmer so some of them could not be realistic.

1) Different maps to choose form with different island shapes and positions (like someone already suggested)

2) Bigger maps with two main islands where the two players start and other smaller islands that can be "colonized" by the first player who reaches them with his/her ship

3) Possibility to link the two port of the main land and the colony with a trade route so that the colony can initially receive food from the mainland and later export goods

4) Different type of industries, possibly trasforming different raw goods that ideally could spawn random in the islands. For examples wild animals can give you additional food and/or furs

5) Some sort of Tech tree for some buildings, for example smaller to bigger and more productive factories, more productive crops later to represent better understanding of agriculture

6) While we are at it. It could be wonderful to be able, maybe later in the game to point the rebels in a distinct spot of the other player island.

7) It would be fun if you could give the order to "build" a rebel but the rebel spawn at the end of the turn so that at the beginning of the aggression the other player doesn't know whether the Rebel is machine generated or comes from the other player. Rebels can become of the colour of the other player with time, making official their allegiance to the player that originated them.

'8) I would add some other type of getting resources like for examples drilling the ocean for minearls or other commodities

Sorry for the lenght of my message. 

It's just that I love Utopia! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I have enough to start with. I am wrapping up Super Pro KotM (really), and then will work on SP Shangi-la. I hope to make progress in the next month or two and will report back.

 

My goal is not a CIB but I am not saying a few would not be made. We will see how this plays out. Super Pro KotM is not going to be released CIB and I have put a ton of time into it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Popeye said:

Excellent news David!

I'm all in on this project.

I have played Utopia a lot of times and made some ideas on how I would have liked it more.

I put them in order. Please not that I'm not a programmer so some of them could not be realistic.

1) Different maps to choose form with different island shapes and positions (like someone already suggested)

2) Bigger maps with two main islands where the two players start and other smaller islands that can be "colonized" by the first player who reaches them with his/her ship

3) Possibility to link the two port of the main land and the colony with a trade route so that the colony can initially receive food from the mainland and later export goods

4) Different type of industries, possibly trasforming different raw goods that ideally could spawn random in the islands. For examples wild animals can give you additional food and/or furs

5) Some sort of Tech tree for some buildings, for example smaller to bigger and more productive factories, more productive crops later to represent better understanding of agriculture

6) While we are at it. It could be wonderful to be able, maybe later in the game to point the rebels in a distinct spot of the other player island.

7) It would be fun if you could give the order to "build" a rebel but the rebel spawn at the end of the turn so that at the beginning of the aggression the other player doesn't know whether the Rebel is machine generated or comes from the other player. Rebels can become of the colour of the other player with time, making official their allegiance to the player that originated them.

'8) I would add some other type of getting resources like for examples drilling the ocean for minearls or other commodities

Sorry for the lenght of my message. 

It's just that I love Utopia! :) 

I like this idea list a lot.  You obviously had put a lot of thought into it.

 

One idea I had was based on the fact in the original game that the two islands were co-insular.  What I would like to see is some kind of branching as to how the island develops and how it comes to be best known, namely its reputation and chief export.

  • Does it develop a thriving tourist economy, with lots of hotels and entertainment, and active night life?  If so, there will need to be a couple of airports.  That also necessitates a stronger police presence near the red-light district, if such a feature is implemented.
  • Perhaps the player establishes a dictatorship, and the whole island becomes a banana republic.  It still needs to maintain an efficient trade route, relatively free of pirates.  The population would then be dependent on imported goods for survival.
  • If you can choose a more inhospitable climate, say near the polar regions with a short growing season, then fisheries become much more prominent.  The population would then be more predominantly indigenous, with a more traditional value system that may steer them away from "progress" and industrial development.
  • Speaking of "value systems", that could be part of the island's reputation as well.  It might be difficult to implement, but perhaps add "social engineering" as a game element, and allow the player to perform such actions as establishing a propaganda ministry, with various means of dissemination depending on the island's current state of technological advancement.  Are there broadcast towers or at least a printing press, or does news travel by word-of-mouth and on horseback?
  • That of course segues into "technology" as a facet of reputation.  With enough schools and science labs, the island can eventually learn to develop the aforementioned airports and broadcast networks, and also gain repute for its technological (and cultural) progress.
  • Some industries would be at odds with each other.  For instance, do we allow offshore drilling and endanger the fishing industry?  To what extent do we allow logging?  With a lot of schools, movements such as environmental consciousness might spring up which would at the very least prohibit expansion in that industry.
  • Finally (before I get any more carried away), there could be various economic systems, which could also change either through civil upheaval or social movements (which can be fueled by propaganda).  That would affect distribution of goods and services within the island, including healthcare.  The island could also become a medical-tourist destination, if hospitals in addition to schools and science labs are all highly developed.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I have enough to start with. I am wrapping up Super Pro KotM (really), and then will work on SP Shangi-la. I hope to make progress in the next month or two and will report back.

 

My goal is not a CIB but I am not saying a few would not be made. We will see how this plays out. Super Pro KotM is not going to be released CIB and I have put a ton of time into it.

I always prefer cib but happy for whatever you do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utopia is my son's favorite game to play with me on Intellivision. He likes to make TONS of PT boats and position them around my island so I can't go fishing without him sinking my fishing boat.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Utopia is my son's favorite game to play with me on Intellivision.

I play Utopia loads with my son too...

4 hours ago, intvdave said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I have enough to start with.

...so I hope our thoughts aren't too late.

 

We think the biggest thing is a bit of rebalancing of the rules / scoring.  As was noted by @mr_me back in 2016 (and at the risk of spoiling the original game)...

 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/247426-super-pro-utopia/?do=findComment&comment=3408616

 

...population size does not influence either the score, or the utility of units, and let's just say that this has a strong influence on strategy.  We also find that we tend not to use aggressive units (PT boats and rebels), so something to increase their value might be good.

 

With regard to suggestions made by others, we can see that both a single player mode and random islands would be great.  However, as has been noted, the fixed weather pattern and the important place it plays might make random but fair terrain tricky.  Perhaps one way round this would be not to tie each player to one island, but instead to allow them to build anywhere (perhaps with some incentive to cluster building to prevent scattering units anywhere).  This might make for another ending to the game through territorial domination, and that perhaps might make the rebels more useful as a means of clearing land for you to occupy.  Perhaps this would also allow the weather patterns to be changed from one game to another, and there might then a requirement for players to learn the weather pattern to find the optimal placing of crops and units.

 

Anyway, I think that's enough for now.  Needless to say we are very interested in progress.

 

 

Cheers

 

decle & hoalst

 

 

Edited by decle
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me this would probably be the game i would most like to see cib. But ill be happy with whatever you decide to do :)

Really cool your doing this!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stupus said:

For me this would probably be the game i would most like to see cib. But ill be happy with whatever you decide to do :)

Really cool your doing this!!

I would love it to be cib as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The population needs entertainment. Factories hospitals and schools? I would swim to another island!!! 
 

you need to add movie theatres, and nightclubs.  Factor in entertainment for well-being and building nightclubs on your island to increase the population ! 
 

pay an extra 10 good bars for the club to have a liquor licence. The nightclub will get a gold-star on it to signify the licence. and it will double the rate of your population growth compared to no liquor licence.  
 

in the original game you want to keep your population low to be able to better accommodate them to maximize your points. Your game should give more points if you keep a larger population happy. There is no incentive in the original game to increase your population. 
 

you’re very welcome!!  Just give me credit somewhere in the manual! 
 

if you have follow up questions, shoot me a PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 12:19 AM, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

The population needs entertainment. Factories hospitals and schools? I would swim to another island!!! 
 

you need to add movie theatres, and nightclubs.  Factor in entertainment for well-being and building nightclubs on your island to increase the population ! 
 

pay an extra 10 good bars for the club to have a liquor licence. The nightclub will get a gold-star on it to signify the licence. and it will double the rate of your population growth compared to no liquor licence.  
 

in the original game you want to keep your population low to be able to better accommodate them to maximize your points. Your game should give more points if you keep a larger population happy. There is no incentive in the original game to increase your population. 
 

you’re very welcome!!  Just give me credit somewhere in the manual! 
 

if you have follow up questions, shoot me a PM. 

Strip Clubs Sparty? 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 7:41 AM, Steve Jones said:

If that’s the name you’re going with, it’s Shangri-La, with an R

 

Don’t trust Rev’s spelling 😬

Yes - you are correct.......

image.png.506fb72c84039880900a15924be96592.png

 

Edited by Arenafoot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...