IGNORED

Smart Shutdown for TiPi and RPI!

Shift838

I have proven it on a breadboard.

This uses a ATTINY85 to control the shutdown along with a Python helper script that runs to monitor.  This script can be ran as a service and load up when the Pi boots.

I did add some circuitry to allow for the unit to be hooked up to a Arduino Nano if the ATTINY85 ever needs to have it's firmware updated.

it doubles as a shutdown and and a power up button.  When powers down a simple quick press will power up the Pi.  Holding the button down for a few seconds will issue the shutdown command to shut the pi down nicely.

2021-03-11_18-08-47.png

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think I recall you said you had a 3D printer.  If you make this available, can you have a box suitable to hold the board, and I guess velcro'd to the side of the PEBox?

I would hope something with a long enough cable to come around to the side of the PEBox  so the user doesn't have to supply any parts.

My 2 cents.

14 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I think I recall you said you had a 3D printer.  If you make this available, can you have a box suitable to hold the board, and I guess velcro'd to the side of the PEBox?

I would hope something with a long enough cable to come around to the side of the PEBox  so the user doesn't have to supply any parts.

My 2 cents.

You are reading my mind.  That’s the plan..  

• Like 1

My understanding was that there was no need to shut down the TIPI, so I never do unless I'm doing some maintenance on the PEB. That said, when I do need to shut down, it can be cumbersome as I have to go in the TIPI Config program or TELNET into it to properly shut it down. Not to mention the times when I accidentally knocked off power to the TIPI. I can see the usefulness of that board from a convenience and safety standpoint to minimize the possibility of SD card corruption. How does it hook up the TIPI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vorticon said:

My understanding was that there was no need to shut down the TIPI, so I never do unless I'm doing some maintenance on the PEB. That said, when I do need to shut down, it can be cumbersome as I have to go in the TIPI Config program or TELNET into it to properly shut it down. Not to mention the times when I accidentally knocked off power to the TIPI. I can see the usefulness of that board from a convenience and safety standpoint to minimize the possibility of SD card corruption. How does it hook up the TIPI?

the board (JP1 connector) hooks up to certain GPIO pins of the raspberry Pi. The PGM pins are used to update the firmware if needed from a Arduino UNO.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm just curious for real.. I've done this with nothing but a push button, resister and LED. And let the PI handle the rest... 

I also just leave my PI on for years so far... only turn it off in the rare event that I'm updating an SD-Image for you all... But I use my TI every other day on average... which doesn't seem to be that common a use case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Why the microcontroller? 

I have the ATTINY85 actually monitor the RPi for different states like if the unit is powered off, running, shutting down, etc.

The LED blinks from the ATTINY85 when it is shutting down or powering up.  When the LED goes off then you know it is safe to disconnect the power if you like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1