IGNORED

Why can't you purchase roms for new games??

donjn

This goes for everything homebrew including the new 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari computers etc.

Why are the only options spending between $35 to $50 for a game that (let's be real here) would be worth $5 on Steam?

I'm an Ultima collector too, so I know the value of boxes, manuals etc but these are mostly simple arcade games not RPGs with spellbooks.

Why can't we have an option to download the rom for $14.99 or $19.99? I think there are a lot of good people here and I doubt we would pass the rom around DC for free.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hizzy said:

I like having roms for everything in my collection. I know purchase-able roms are on the way. Looking forward to it!

I can't wait for it, personally. I do not like having a massive physical collection for something that can take less than a 100 MB on my Google Drive. Plus, having a ROM version of a game futureproofs it. If not for ROMs, I feel like a lot of these cool homebrews may not be playable in the future, when they're not being produced.

• Like 2

It will definitely allow these games to be available to a wider audience (Harmony Cart owners, Stella users, etc.)

Of course piracy is always a thing, but I think at this point most of us in these forums are here because we enjoy seeing new titles being developed for these old systems, and the majority are happy to support the developers so that they can continue to bring us fun games. 

I would hazard a guess that even if these games eventually end up in ROM packs for Retropie or whatever, the casual folks that are going check them out for 30 seconds represent about %0 lost revenue potential.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jstick said:

It will definitely allow these games to be available to a wider audience (Harmony Cart owners, Stella users, etc.)

Of course piracy is always a thing, but I think at this point most of us in these forums are here because we enjoy seeing new titles being developed for these old systems, and the majority are happy to support the developers so that they can continue to bring us fun games. 

I would hazard a guess that even if these games eventually end up in ROM packs for Retropie or whatever, the casual folks that are going check them out for 30 seconds represent about %0 lost revenue potential.

I also think piracy is mostly a pastime engaged in by the young,  who really believe they aren't hurting anyone.    

People the age of those on this forum know better,  we also have more disposable income and don't mind supporting these efforts financially, even if it seems overpriced if you compared it to Steam.    That's not to say there are no pirates here,  just not so many

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

My experience with digital downloads is that they are a very hard sell even at $2.00.  Digital downloads also kill sales of physical carts.

I am trying digital downloads for small games that don't take 6 months to make.   Maybe small steps are needed for both developers and retro gamers.

Another option is to sell digital versions in the packaged versions of games.    You could get low-capacity SD or USB sticks cheap in bulk and include the rom and digital versions of the manuals on them.    But you still get the packaging and physical manuals..    Or maybe even include both the cart and SD card in the same package!

Collectors hate digital because you typically don't get the physical goods,  but I often wonder why it has to be either/or.   I'm sure there are some people who both want the freedom of digital AND something to display on their shelf

• Like 3

My experience with digital downloads is that they are a very hard sell even at $2.00.  Digital downloads also kill sales of physical carts.

I am trying digital downloads for small games that don't take 6 months to make.   Maybe small steps are needed for both developers and retro gamers.
What games do you offer in digital format? I'm interested.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here's what I posted elsewhere:

I tried to think through the economics of costs and some margin for development and distribution when I proposed the $9.99 (deep backcatalog)/$14.99 (normal backcatalog)/$19.99 (new releases) pricing scale for digital distribution of homebrews and the +$4.99 as add-on to a cart. I have to think if it's less, it'll risk turning a labor of love and community service into servitude.

Anyone thinking $1 a game for 2600/7800 homebrews has the wrong paradigm. The phone is in everyone's pocket, so a good hit can be 10,000+ orders and add-ons or even 10x that or 100x that or more. I imagine a hit in the 2600/7800 homebrew scene is maybe a few hundred copies in all.

I believe $1-$2 homebrew ROMs would end up killing any incentive to make games.

It's fine as a "thank you" for what would otherwise be free distribution for love of the game. But that's all.

• Like 1

I think piracy now isn't as big as it was back in the day. Consoles have become tougher to crack and the average Joe doesn't dabble in it anymore unless it's retro games of yesteryear where money is no longer being made on that product by the company if it still exists. I think the 2600/5200/7800 is a safe place to get that is there was any going on it's not perceptible due to the size of the audience (age plays a factor too).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

Another option is to sell digital versions in the packaged versions of games.    You could get low-capacity SD or USB sticks cheap in bulk and include the rom and digital versions of the manuals on them.    But you still get the packaging and physical manuals..    Or maybe even include both the cart and SD card in the same package!

Collectors hate digital because you typically don't get the physical goods,  but I often wonder why it has to be either/or.   I'm sure there are some people who both want the freedom of digital AND something to display on their shelf

Probably back to the piracy issue.  I've tried to convince Paulo to add encryption to Javatari but I'm my charisma stat is busted :)

My "party favors" are on Itch:  https://theloon.itch.io/

..and, I agree.  I think most retro enthusiasts purchase digital downloads as a "thank you".  Since many of my games are already in ROM packs I know it's entirely optional.

33 minutes ago, neotokeo2001 said:

The short answer is everyone wants a BIN/ROM but they don't want to pay for it. As mentioned before, people have made them available for sub $5 and no one buys them.

I don't know the 2600 scene but it seems odd. On the microcomputer side most boxed releases also have a digital equivalent. They seem to be doing allright. I buy digital all the time, because boxed versions are a bit too dear for me.

Also, piracy is nothing like it was in the past. Sure, some people would still do that, though that could be those who won't buy anyway, and I'm convinced the majority would make a purchase. We're mostly old farts with some income, not broke-ass teens like back in the day.