IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA - 7800 Core

RevEng

23 hours ago, Trebor said:

6.  OPTIONAL - Vonets VAP11G-300 Wireless to Wired Ethernet dongle WiFi Bridge
[Arriving this weekend]

Arrived.  Installed.  And, wow...

update_all.sh

That script...run it right from the MiSTer...it really doesn't get any easier than that.  Holy crap, it's like someone completely installed all the cores for me with all the bells and whistles options available, and then some.

Gate-level schematic accuracy execution of hardware components.   

For complete transparency, the Arcade Donkey Kong and Phoenix sounds understandably have a ways to go, and is sort of cringe.  Though, those two are by far more the exception, than the rule. 

Console and computers are remarkably impressive.  The 7800 core is for all intents and purposes impeccably amazing.   It even nails the litmus test of MIA.   

Eagerly anticipating the official public release announcement...wait until the support list is posted. :-o

No wonder, this thing is selling out like hotcakes.  7800 developers, testers, and players alike, this is one to own.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

Gate-level schematic accuracy execution of hardware components. 

I don't think it's always the case. I'm no expert but, from what I understand there are also approximations and shortcuts.

That matters when you consider that there is a sort of "FPGA myth" going around, meaning that the MiSTer's (or other FPGA projects') cores are often being portrayed as perfect replicas of actual computers/consoles, far superior from what that icky e-word offers. That's not exactly true, and as much as I admire these projects myself and would like them to be more popular, I find that angle a bit misleading and unnecessary.

It's somewhat reflected in that Verve article. They do actually mention it towards the end - "The cores can vary in quality, accuracy, and state of completion" - but the most of the piece is painting a different picture (that aside from the usual clangers of calling 128SDRAM "essential" and not mentioning Direct Video for CRTs).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, youxia said:

I don't think it's always the case. I'm no expert but, from what I understand there are also approximations and shortcuts.

Indeed; as I posted just after the sentence that was quoted, both Arcade games Donkey Kong and Phoenix sounds, are considerably off the mark.  However, especially with a 7800-centric focus here, it is the best we have so far in achieving perfect console replication and the direction overall is more towards the aforementioned gate-level schematic accuracy execution of hardware components, rather than just getting games to run.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, youxia said:

That matters when you consider that there is a sort of "FPGA myth" going around, meaning that the MiSTer's (or other FPGA projects') cores are often being portrayed as perfect replicas of actual computers/consoles, far superior from what that icky e-word offers. That's not exactly true, and as much as I admire these projects myself and would like them to be more popular, I find that angle a bit misleading and unnecessary.

It's somewhat reflected in that Verve article. They do actually mention it towards the end - "The cores can vary in quality, accuracy, and state of completion" - but the most of the piece is painting a different picture (that aside from the usual clangers of calling 128SDRAM "essential" and not mentioning Direct Video for CRTs).

FPGA cores are not intrinsically more or less accurate than any other form of emulation, they are only as good as the R&D you put into it. However, I will say that it is MUCH easier to create accurate cores using HDL than it is in software, because of how they operate. Also, while it's merely a rule of thumb, people writing FPGA cores tend to be starting with an eye for accuracy, so just as a matter of custom the cores usually end up nit picked into a high state of accuracy. Here's an example of something schematic-like in HDL:

https://github.com/Kitrinx/Atari7800_MiSTer/blob/fixes/rtl/Maria/DMA.sv

You can see that it can be a quite literal representation of the system with little to no abstraction.

• Like 4

On 4/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, Gemintronic said:

I enjoy the few 7800 games that work with the currently available core on my Xbox One joystick.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but only a few games are working for you?  I'm using the beta dated 3.11.21, and it's been amazing with everything I've tried to run on it.  I'm sure there are some that likely won't work, but I've spent a few hours hopping between games of all sorts -- retail releases, homebrews, and hacks -- and they've all been great.  If you're using an older version, may be worth grabbing a newer one and giving it a shot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but only a few games are working for you?  I'm using the beta dated 3.11.21, and it's been amazing with everything I've tried to run on it.  I'm sure there are some that likely won't work, but I've spent a few hours hopping between games of all sorts -- retail releases, homebrews, and hacks -- and they've all been great.  If you're using an older version, may be worth grabbing a newer one and giving it a shot.

I am really bad at finding updated cores even when using the update all script.  Got a link to that 7800 core?

Also, what will be the link to bookmark for the new core discussed here?

42 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I am really bad at finding updated cores even when using the update all script.  Got a link to that 7800 core?

Also, what will be the link to bookmark for the new core discussed here?

It was posted in the MiSTer FPGA discord as a test build, but it's not released yet. I will release it very soon, I just wanted to resolve one last issue with DMA timing first but it's proving to be quite a pain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't get YM working, but it looks like someone on youtube got it working in Pac-Man Collection XM. It doesn't show YM enabled for me and goes to tia sound. Xevious seems to detect the controller as a single button controller, even with the correct dipswitch settings. I'm loving this core. The latest build I found on discord looks incredible in component on the Sony TV. I love how the composite filter even works in 240p in component. Great for Tower Toppler. 

My DE-10 arrived today, super quick shipping from DigiKey considering they shipped it from the US and I only ordered it on Saturday.

I cant seem to get the device to boot into anything, neither the SD card that shipped with it or the Mister setup image.

I get a blue power light, then the user LED flashed on and off for about 15 seconds then all the lights dim down and that's it.

DIP and toggles are set right from the guides and the DE10 documentation but no picture or anything.

Any suggests on what I might be missing?

Only thing that I've swapped is the US PSU that it shipped with for a UK equivalent (5V 2A centre pos)

Odd, for HDMI it should really work without changing anything.

You can try to look at Mister.ini from the SD card on your PC, and make sure it's the same as the default one (at least the video options): https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/blob/master/MiSTer.ini

If you have a spare, try tu put the image on a different SD card too. Also make sure SDRAM is inserted correctly (if you have it already).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

My DE-10 arrived today, super quick shipping from DigiKey considering they shipped it from the US and I only ordered it on Saturday.

I cant seem to get the device to boot into anything, neither the SD card that shipped with it or the Mister setup image.

I get a blue power light, then the user LED flashed on and off for about 15 seconds then all the lights dim down and that's it.

DIP and toggles are set right from the guides and the DE10 documentation but no picture or anything.

Any suggests on what I might be missing?

Only thing that I've swapped is the US PSU that it shipped with for a UK equivalent (5V 2A centre pos)

Likely the card is not formatted properly. I suggest using the Mr. Fusion setup procedure as described in the wiki. It should output a screen on boot that tells you that it's setting up. If you need more help with this the MiSTer forums (www.misterfpga.org) or the mister discord are a good place to find detailed help. It's possible but unlikely the hardware is defective as well, but chances are it's just the sdcard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's the card, I've tried three now, all using different imaging apps and I get the same symptoms whether I use the card that came with it or one with the Mr Fusion set up image.

I also do not see any .ini file on the card after trying to boot with it.

I've also tried 3 different display devices.

I get the "heart beat" led as described in the quick start but that's it really.

I'll try the Mister discord but this is starting to feel like a faulty unit

• Sad 2

Just to clarify, when I said I used the pre-packaged card, that was to try and launch the pre-packaged linux distro as I figured that should just run "out of the box", rather than copy the MiSter set up on to it. For that I've used a brand new clean 32GB card.

So I've made some progress after chatting to the helpful folks over on the Mister Discord. One of the guys sensibly suggested that I try the stock PSU.

I was using a UK PSU, it was rated as 5V 2A, identical output to the one that shipped with the unit. Or so I thought... The unit lit up, lights came on, etc. to all visible indications it was "on" but with no display. 

Before RMA'ing it, I figured, I'd try the original stock PSU as suggested. I don't have a regular adaptor to get a US plug in a UK socket (I lost that some years ago travelling), but I do have an electric shaver adaptor which, as it turns out, works perfectly as an adaptor for the US PSU. 

I tried this combo and it fired up first time and MiSTer installed...

I have a couple of 5V 2A UK PSU's that I use for various things (one is powering an Amstrad CPC6128+) and they work perfectly as I've re-tested them, but neither will work on the DE10.

I can only conclude it was some sort of power issue and the DE10 doesn't like my PSU's, maybe my UK PSU aren't putting out enough power or something. I can't do much more testing or run the update as I also discovered my old USB hub is b0rked so I can't connect a keyboard until the other bits I ordered arrive in a few days.

So all things being equal a few steps forward and the DE10 seemingly not knackered after all!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, BrianC said:

I got YM working on Mister by editing the header of the rom for Yamaha. 

the YM chip will only respond if 1) the YM flag is set in the header or 2) the XM flag is set in the header *and* bit 7 of the first XM register is high. The various POKEYs operate similarly, with the exception of POKEY's IRQ which is an OSD menu option. The only implicit hardware right now is Covox, the rest are all gated by header flags of one type or another.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Ran the core today for the first time - superb! E.X.O. ran nicely no issues at all.

I did notice that the colours seem really bright compared to my PAL console and emulation. I probably need to tinker with the settings some.

Awesome mate ?

Tinkering with the MiSTer today a bit, love it. I have a couple of Pi's and I love stuff like RetroPi, PiMiga and so on, but this is another nice option to have especially for those systems that I would like but don't have space for (MSX, Archimedes etc). The analogue option is great too!.

@mksmithThis is what I went with (analogue IO board, 128MB ram, USB board and some top/bottom plates + a more beefy PSU). Overkill for 7800 but I plan to do more in the future.

Appreciate all the steers on here and also Nat over at misterfpga.co.uk was super helpful and the stuff he supplied was top notch, 100% recommended.

No photo description available.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I did notice that the colours seem really bright compared to my PAL console and emulation. I probably need to tinker with the settings some.

Check under the specific "ATARI7800" Core's tab Audio & Video - Scandoubler Fx.   CRT 50%, and more so, CRT 75% will darken things considerably (CRT 25% and HQ2x should also be available).

Then, under "System", if the Scale Filters and Gamma Corrections options are leveraged, they can manipulate the screen output from slightly to very greatly, dependent on selection.

I tend to leave Gamma correction off, and Scale Filter on Interpolation (Sharp) for the "System" options.  Under "ATARI7800", Scandoubler Fx is set to CRT 50%.

Different strokes for different folks, but the aforementioned settings work best for me overall.  Of course, the display's output will make quite the difference as well. The Insignia I mostly use for it is much brighter than the ASUS I sometimes may utilize.

P.S.  So jealous, BTW.  I should have went with this...https://misteraddons.com/products/mister-bundles  Standard IO option.  Kicking myself now, not realizing how much I like it and the convenience.  May have to go with that purchase sooner than later, but pretty content with my relatively minimalistic setup (for now). 

• Like 2