IGNORED

Ordered Abracadabra, ,Battlezone ,Capture the flag ,Shamus ,Shamus 2

Giles N

Battlezone on 5200 is about what you'd expect.  A little on the choppy side, but otherwise in line with the general quality of Atari's arcade ports on the system.

Capture the flag is nice to show off what the 5200 can graphically... and that's about it.  It's what the title says it is.

Shamus is worth having.  Berzerk with Adventure elements, basically.  I suck at it, but someday hopefully I'll get the time to learn it.  Case II is a weird hybrid of platforming and Space Invaders-style shooter.  Not as cool as the original, but there's nothing else on the system quite like it.

Abracadabra I'm the least familiar with.  Very slick maze game.  Nothing Earth-shattering, but maybe it's one of those you appreciate more the more you play.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIKE5200 said:

I still think someone should make Robot Tanks for the 5200?

Yeah, Robot Tank 2600 was/is very good.

Isn’t there a rare 2600-5200 converter piece?

Anyway, closest thing I come to think of is ‘Encounter’ (probably also pirted from Atari-8-bit familiy), but very smooth gameplay.

18 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Battlezone on 5200 is about what you'd expect.  A little on the choppy side, but otherwise in line with the general quality of Atari's arcade ports on the system.

Capture the flag is nice to show off what the 5200 can graphically... and that's about it.  It's what the title says it is.

Shamus is worth having.  Berzerk with Adventure elements, basically.  I suck at it, but someday hopefully I'll get the time to learn it.  Case II is a weird hybrid of platforming and Space Invaders-style shooter.  Not as cool as the original, but there's nothing else on the system quite like it.

Abracadabra I'm the least familiar with.  Very slick maze game.  Nothing Earth-shattering, but maybe it's one of those you appreciate more the more you play.

Hope that helps.

Yeah that informed me.

The reason I wanted abracadabra was it looked like a screen by screen gauntlet/dark chambers thing with wizards, spiders, snakes and giant skulls to battle.

I thought the 5200 lack many such titles, as Wizard of Wor is sort of put in the future if I’m not mistaken, even though its a very good maze-shooter for this generation.

Edited by Giles N

32 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Your best bet for that kind of thing would be Gateway to Apshai.  A little more complex and less arcade-y, but pretty much fits the bill.

Do you have a YouTube video or review?

Actually, I’m very into arcade-like gaming.

- - -

Edit: 

Had a look at Gateway to Apshai, and I think Abracadabra is more my thing.

More direct playability, multicoloured figures/characters, and more ‘arcadey’.

But of course, I have to try it before I know whether its my thing.

Edited by Giles N

19 hours ago, Giles N said:

Yeah, Robot Tank 2600 was/is very good.

Isn’t there a rare 2600-5200 converter piece?

Anyway, closest thing I come to think of is ‘Encounter’ (probably also pirted from Atari-8-bit familiy), but very smooth gameplay.

Don't really know. 2600 version of Battlezone is better. I couldn't never get it to play on the 5200 using a flash cart.

3 hours ago, MIKE5200 said:

Don't really know. 2600 version of Battlezone is better. I couldn't never get it to play on the 5200 using a flash cart.

I actually found I had a version of Battlezone on a multigame-cartridge I bought from some person here.

It had blue mountains in the background but used some semi-vector grfx for enemies and obstacles.

I hoped the version I ordered was more like the 2600 version (which I also have).

But I don’t have any means of playing 2600 games on the 5200; I play them

on my 7800s.

Edited by Giles N