IGNORED

480-in-1 cartridge getting hot

Spectreman

but A 480-in-one DIP switch multicart probably has several pull-up resistors. If a DIP switch is "on" then a resistor is generating heat.

Normally these resistors are large (well into the K-ohm range) so the heat generated should be negligible, so in that sense, excessive heat shouldn't be "normal."

However, if the multicart used small resistors for some reason, the cart could get hot.

I bought in Brazil. Has a generic label and a reset button on the side. No screws that I can see so I don't want open now. It was cheaper than a cartridge with SD card e and I just want something to play with my original Atari.

Another thing happing to me is that the cartridge seems to be generating a vertical noise. My Atari was already super noise, than maybe is more susceptible to the cartridge voltage. The effect is more noticeable in Kaystone Kapers (I have a normal cartridge of this one to comparison). Noise in general is because old caps? Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's either the original prototype or an early version of @nanochess. From the name I would guess the latter.

It looks like the rev.8 free version from here https://atariage.com/forums/topic/259694-aardvark-for-atari-vcs2600/

Anyway I don't remember giving permission to distribute it commercially. *shrugs*

A lot of heat and noise means the cartridge is pretty badly manufactured. From your description I think that the Flash chip is a 3.3v+ but it is feed 5.0v (because saving a regulator, or the regulator is too tiny) so it generates a lot of heat, the noise means there are no decoupling capacitors. Only a quick hack in order to get money.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nanochess said:

It looks like the rev.8 free version from here https://atariage.com/forums/topic/259694-aardvark-for-atari-vcs2600/

Anyway I don't remember giving permission to distribute it commercially. *shrugs*

A lot of heat and noise means the cartridge is pretty badly manufactured. From your description I think that the Flash chip is a 3.3v+ but it is feed 5.0v (because saving a regulator, or the regulator is too tiny) so it generates a lot of heat, the noise means there are no decoupling capacitors. Only a quick hack in order to get money.

Thanks. In long term this can damage the videogame hardware?

2 hours ago, nanochess said:

Unfortunately this is not the first time that something like this has happened. In the past month someone on the Atari Age FB group was promoting a third party SD card that had the community build of Stella for the R77 and RomHunters Rom pack. The kicker was it also included a folder full of homebrews Mostly Thomas's and Dionoid's. The poster was asked to no promote such things especially the selling of homebrews. The poster wouldn't back down and was banned from both AA FB Groups. I also believe that Al reported the seller on Etsy as the last time I looked the item was no longer being sold on Esty. There is always gonna be someone who wants to break the rules and profit off of others  peoples work. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spectreman said:

Thanks. In long term this can damage the videogame hardware?

I don't think it could damage the Atari, but it could damage itself because with the lack of decoupling capacitors then any static can destroy the cartridge.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...