IGNORED

Revisiting AR: The Dungeon with all guns blazing and a new trick.

Gunstar

So, the original reason I ever wanted more than two floppy disk drives in the first place (though I have many other reasons since) was because AR: The Dungeon allowed the use of 4 floppy drives (and also up to 128K memory). Now this isn't the first time I've used 4 real floppy drives with AR in recent years, and it's not the first time I've used a combination of real and virtual drives to play AR with all four. But it is the first time for me, and maybe anybody, to use Fujinet with one of the AR disks mounted, and loading from thousands of miles away off a Fujinet TNFS server, the image mounted on D4: and being loaded from that distance to my computer.

Drives 1-3 are real disk drives, and I am loading the official commercial disk on the real disk one, and back-ups, made with ARD, of all other disks and then of course Disk 3 side 2 is coming from Fujinet. Now I could be doing the same thing off my SD card on Fujinet, but the idea of using a TNFS server from another part of the world is too cool not to use. I still have my original commercial release of the game and am still using the original maps, manual and guide. I am able to use the full 128K ARD looks for as well with the Incognito in XL/XE extended memory mode. I only need to swap in the character disk for loading and saving, and then disk 2, side 1 into drive one, as disk 1 side 1 isn't used again until character saving time. Playing with no disks swaps after that, with disk 2, side 1 and disk 2, side 2 in drives 1 and 2, and disk 3, side 1 in drive 3, and disk 3 side 2 ATR mounted on Fujinet. The boot process is to leave drive 1 off and allow Fujinet config to boot off of the Fujinet, mount the disk image from the TNFS server in D4:, then turn on the real Drive 1, and hit OPTION for Fujinet mount and boot, and the game starts loading from floppy drive 1 as normal and recognizes 128K and 4 disk drives.

Of course you can use all Fujinet virtual drives and have it all at high-speed SIO too, from another part of the world, if you want to, or any combination of real and virtual drives you want. Fujinet D4: is set for HS SIO, and that disk is the most accessed by the game, the encounters/creatures data disk. So that really helps speed along the game as well as having more of the game in extended ram, including many of the encounters for instant load. And of course this can all be done with SIO2PC or SIO2BT too, but with Fujinet you aren't tethered to anything but Wi-fi or via BT to any device you want.

Using all AR:The Dungeon's facilities, the world wide web, and old school maps (the level one map actually looks like a real old, tattered, well used map out of a pirate or fantasy movie as my brother and I have used it so much over the years. I just reinforced it with packing tape on the backside as it was truly in tatters when I pulled it out of the archives.

It's still my favorite RPG series of all time, even though I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan too and a big fan of many other classic and more modern RPG's.

20210312_212356.jpg

20210312_205508.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

Out of curiosity, why not just use the single ATR image or Wilheim's cart port of that?

I will tell you this; that question would either take an entire dissertation for me to properly explain to you, or it can be summed up in one word, the one word that explains why we are all even here in the first place.

Edited by Gunstar