Cicero

Blank white screen after RetroHQ logo screen v1.04 (RESOLVED)

Is that just with the SD cart? or all carts? I know our SD cart retains its memory if you don't power it off long enough and it can boot in an undefined state. 

Only with the SD cart.  I have not had the issue with regular carts.  Brownout may not be the accurate term.  When the issue occurs the GameDrive boots and the logo screen displays.  However, when it should go to the menu it displays a white bar at the bottom of the screen and the screen gradually brightens to a blank screen.  I can blindly boot to a game which will load (as indicated by the game's sound/music), but the screen remains blank.  The issue began intermittently when I installed the new screen.  Eventually the problem became permanent.  It only began to resolve after I discovered C7 had come loose from the screen PCB and replaced it.  Now the problem is hard to replicate.

Interesting. I think a recap will be the best first step to diagnosing this. Or else you could be chasing your tail. I'll be following!

• Like 1

Found time last night and this evening to replace Q12, D13, Q7, Q8, and all electrolytic caps.  After a couple of hours of testing, I haven't been able to replicate the issue.  Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

Posted (edited)

Welp, it's doing it again intermittently.  It does it with batteries as well as with an external power supply.  No problems at all with standard cartridges.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by Cicero

The only thing I can think is it's something odd to do with shutting down the LCD controller and starting it up again. However I've never heard of this issue before, so it's not a normal issue, it's something specific to your hardware (possibly in combination with the new LCD).

However, did you say the odd white screen issue also happens with the original screen? In which case it could be an issue with Mikey or surrounding support parts. Very odd.

It never happened with the original screen or with original cartridges.  After more testing it seems that once I've been playing it for a while, the issue is harder to reproduce.  I'm going to go back in today and replace R74.  I didn't do that because the Console5 kit I bought said it was not always needed.  Also, even though it's listed as a replacement for R74, the diagram Console5 has for the kit has an arrow pointing to R75, so I'm a little confused.  It may very well just be a quirk in my 30 year old Lynx.  The problem seems way less common now than it was before I did a recap and replaced Q12, D13, Q7, and Q8.

• Like 1

replaced the 120 ohm resistor (R74) with a 30 ohm resistor.  The issue still presents if the Lynx has been powered off for a few hours or more.  It generally takes about 2 to 5 power on/off cycles before it starts working consistently.  I'm going to call this a fix(??) and be done with anymore troubleshooting unless anyone has any other suggestions.

7 hours ago, Fab64 said:

I'm having the same problem.

If you read this thread, it generally seems to be a hardware related problem. If you need assistance in what to try, far more details about your system and what you’ve already tried will be required.