IGNORED

My Centipede story

oo7

For old times sake tonight I felt like and ended up playing my old copy of Centipede on my Atari 130XE.

In doing so I felt like sharing a story many people would never understand (unless you are an Atarian)

I grew up in Toronto Ontario Canada however my family roots are from Malta (Europe)

Part way through my life we moved to malta for a short period of time. When we did this we had sold my 800XL at the time in Canada.

SO while in Malta missing my XL I saw a store that sold the 130XE it was imported from the UK. It was a 130XE with 7800 Joystick an XC 12 tape drive and some games (on TAPE)

I showed my parents and they got it for me! Yay!

One of the tapes had Centipede on it (It was a red atari compilation tape) I ended up falling in love with the game. So... Less that a year goes by Im giving my Atari to my uncle and we are moving back to Canada!!

We get here. I get an Atari XE. I go to a store looking to buy some cartridges one day and I spot Centipede!!!! I was so happy. A instant loading Cart version of Centipede.

I rush home to play it! Insert the cart, power up and WHAT! this game looks all wrong..... 

Shortly after this I got a modem got online and discovered what I knew as Centipede on the Atari Home Computers is the Atari 5200 version.

Eventually I started to play this using a happy 1050 and I was happy.

Still play it till this day. Just finished a 2 hour session lol

Here is why IM talking about this.

One people here unlike people in my life will get this story.

And two. I always wondered how did the Atari 5200 version of Centipede end up on retail tapes packaged with systems right from Atari in the UK?

Atari mania shows this same compilation I had even.

See in North AMerica Glenn the 5200 man made it happen. 

But in Europe/UK it seems 5200 ports got done official?

Anyway thats a story that has been with me since the late 80s and a story no one offline I speak to could appreciate. Well not no one but no one close. Not anymore.

• Like 6

I think EU systems were more likely to have games included to help sell the computers. I noticed this with Amiga 500 anyway.  Guessing.

The Centipede I tried not too long ago I didn't like because the centipedes moved so chunky. It looked like character mode poorly implemented in BASIC. Maybe that wasn't the 5200 version.  Millipede is IMO great tho.

3 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

I think EU systems were more likely to have games included to help sell the computers. I noticed this with Amiga 500 anyway.  Guessing.

The Centipede I tried not too long ago I didn't like because the centipedes moved so chunky. It looked like character mode poorly implemented in BASIC. Maybe that wasn't the 5200 version.  Millipede is IMO great tho.

clunky sounds like non 5200 version.

the 5200 version is amazing.

I will never get over atari officially bundling it over there.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, oo7 said:

This is something i wish we could find out. 

In ANTIC Interview 90 - Glenn the 5200 Man - I recall Glenn wrote his own VBI routines to do the analog-to-digital joystick translation, and remapping of the hardware registers for the software.

I suspect inspection of the code to look for and compare that VBI routine would be a highly indicative 'signature' as it was new code by Glenn....

• Like 1

Wonderful story @oo7, love it and love Malta too (had much fun at the Popeye village etc..)

Much respect to Glenn, wonder if he's still with us?

Would have loved to have met him.

PS, I have family in Toronto and really liked it there back in the 80's, had our second honeymoon there..Saw Tron there when it came out..

Never was much good at centipede, must have a relook at the 5200 Glenn version, see if I get on any better..Just had a session on gorf....

Wow guys! Solved a long time question in my head and I feel stupid lol.

I knew glenns releases I got from the BBS scene supported ctrl-g but I didnt think this would as it was an official retail atari release even with an added copyright 1987 loading screen.

All that being said ctrl+g works! Its glenn’s! I wonder if he knows it was released this way?

Long time mystery solved here and I got to share my story lol (wife tolled her eyes at my excitement this morning lmao) 

@Mclaneinc I remember you telling me about malta and toronto before. Small world.

I believe glenn was interviewed a couple of years ago. Too bad he isnt a member here (I dont think)

I honestly am so happy I solved a long time question I thought of time to time over the years!

5 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

I thought Glen is a guy who helped to backup games better? ;) honestly. I thought he is a cracker? He did the fabulous 5200 conversion? Nah… ah read the podcast intro… ;) 

I know he worked for atari i knew his work from the BBS scene I just didnt know Atari UK a separate company would retail his work, he might not even know lol i really wonder if he does.

also anyone who has not tried Centipede 5200 on their A8 please try it. Its that good in my opinion lol

46 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Ha ha losing my memory, I thought I chatted to you a while back...Wasn't sure so posted.

Never knew Glenn worked for Atari, visited Atari in Slough a few times, wonder if it was there..

lol Cant remember everything. It was long ago.

Dont recall which atari location he worked at. 

Im still shocked crrl-g worked on the offile atari release lol

15 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yep, very very talented guy...Will have a look at his Centipede in a min or two..

It’s miles better than the „official“ A8 port… Gfx fluent, sound fx and controls top notch. Was my first one before I have seen the official 800 release and I thought wtf… it’s imho same league than the 7800 version.

4 hours ago, oo7 said:

@Mclaneinc let me know what you think.

Its head and shoulder better than the so called Atari versions, very smooth controls and looks great....To give you a clue, I played it even after my spine / neck started aching, it takes some game to make me play through that.