IGNORED

Headaches, nausea, dizziness with Commodore 1702 CRT

donjn

I have a Commodore 1702 monitor and a Commodore 64, Atari 800xl and Atari 2600 (s-video mod) hooked up to it through a 3-way switch. Its fantastic!

Lately after adding the Atari 2600 to the family (probably not related) I have been getting some minor nausea, slight dizziness and a couple of nasty headaches.

Might be difficult to pinpoint because I am on a computer all day long too. I bought some blue filter glasses for that.

I am 50 now and I am wondering if in my advanced age certain games with constant flashing (Beany Bopper, etc) might be causing this?

I've never had this before. Anyone else suddenly experience this? Do I just need to sit further back? Maybe some sunglasses to cut the glare? Maybe a glare screen filter?

Thanks!

Edited by donjn
  • Like 1

I have this problem with newer systems including the 360 and Wi with a lot of times within 5 minutes of getting the same thing that you are experiencing. I am thinking it’s age or being on the computer too long. I have had this problem for two to three years and I am 48 right now. It doesn’t bother me in the games I play on the 2600 or the 800 XL. I can play those systems all day without a problem. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/14/2021 at 4:05 AM, donjn said:

I have a Commodore 1702 monitor and a Commodore 64, Atari 800xl and Atari 2600 (s-video mod) hooked up to it through a 3-way switch. Its fantastic!

Lately after adding the Atari 2600 to the family (probably not related) I have been getting some minor nausea, slight dizziness and a couple of nasty headaches.

Might be difficult to pinpoint because I am on a computer all day long too. I bought some blue filter glasses for that.

I am 50 now and I am wondering if in my advanced age certain games with constant flashing (Beany Bopper, etc) might be causing this?

I've never had this before. Anyone else suddenly experience this? Do I just need to sit further back? Maybe some sunglasses to cut the glare? Maybe a glare screen filter?

Thanks!

Try it over RF on an ordinary CRT Television. RF tends to be a litter warmer with fuzzy edges full of rich glowing artifact colors. All gentle effects on the eye that filter the glare like liquid Television on a rainy School day; offsets much of the flicker too.

I like classic Pacman under those conditions but can get headaches playing the same game with extra sharp video mods and mods that "correct" leaky chroma and modern kit like LCD Displays.