IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

So I'm not sure what or if geneve has a MEM or size command, but I'm trying to figure out how much ram I have. It looks like forth, from what I can tell, needs a ramdisk and my floppy isn't big enough.

So I'm setting up an autoexec.bat with a ramdisk size of 360 and I'm getting an error, not enough ram.

But it does like a size of 180, but I think my floppy is already that size.

IMG_20210314_144437321.jpg

Are you using SaveFile (SF) with EDIT?     It compresses the files with a simple algorithm.   

You must use SaveLine to save files readable by any other program.  This is also indicated in the documentation. 

(OFF doesn't show the same compression but the algorithm might ignore for end of line.)

• Thanks 1

Ill probably work on building a manual of commands in word. Plus I'm still trying to edit a screen but I'm not seeing an editor yet. Seems to be a command FLOAD that stops forth from booting up, as it hangs with FLOAD? But the manual says it can be REMd out with a "/" but without an editor... anyway, I need a good reference manual to get printed out.

My Slash is backwards..lol ..yes, it's supposed to be a remark statement...

But im not finding an editor to rem out the FLOAD operation.

And 3 list gives me 40 x 16 "?" Question Marks., I suppose that's why the error.

As if the screen file is blank.

Im thinking the screen file is corrupt possibly. 

But I'm actually not too concerned with that, as I need to get a booklet printed out. So I'm having to pull pieces of DV80 text data and push it to my word application...I'm finding stuff splattered over 10+ dv80 files all which are part of the help program that I can't reach with a floppy only system.

Edited by GDMike

I found this article. Talking about 9640 Forth and a Forth +. I've got the 9640 Forth version I suppose ..so where is Forth+? Mr. Sullivan can you chime in.

Mike McCann wanted to port his Forth software to the Geneve and asked me if
I knew of any compiler for the Geneve.  I recommended Lutz Winkler's
package, but he wanted something that would run in native mode and not GPL.
I put him together with Paul Charlton, but they couldn't come to terms on
royalties.

Mike ended up writing his own Forth package called 9640 Forth.  After he
had ported his own software, he offered the package for sale and I bought
as soon as it was available.

I used 9640 Forth exclusively until I started noticing messages on Delphi
from Bill Sullivan.  It seemed that he was writing a Forth compiler for the
Geneve. It was called MMS Forth for Memory Management System.  I got a copy
from Bill as soon as I could and have been using it for sometime now.  I
have a couple of big applications that I've been working on for years, and
if I live long enough they might get finished.

Bill has revised his package a couple of times and it is now called Forth+. 
It is without a doubt, hands down, the most total programming environment
that the Geneve has ever seen.  It is probably also the last major Forth
effort that the Geneve world will ever see.

So, yes, there is a Forth compiler for the TI and Geneve.

Edited by GDMike

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Ill probably work on building a manual of commands in word. Plus I'm still trying to edit a screen but I'm not seeing an editor yet. Seems to be a command FLOAD that stops forth from booting up, as it hangs with FLOAD? But the manual says it can be REMd out with a "/" but without an editor... anyway, I need a good reference manual to get printed out.

Before ANS/ISO Forth FLOAD was commonly a command to "load" a file.  (IE: FILE LOAD) 

Usage was typically  FLOAD <PATH>   kind of thing.

So maybe  FLOAD DSK1.MYCODE

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Words oh my... I've reached the melting pot..nice

IMG_20210314_173607830.jpg

Base on the words I see there , it looks like a modified/expanded Fig Forth dialect.

So FbForth/TI Forth similar.

Of course any similarities could be purely coincidental.  

If you've seen one Forth you've seen ... one Forth. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well apparently there's been a couple versions and this was like stretched from TI Forth I believe. But the book said that it was file based and not sector-based or whatever it is I forgot the name now. 

And there was another product called forth plus that's mysteriously disappeared that had bells and whistles of a good product. Guess this is the only version we have which I'm not down playing it it's just the fact that there was something at one time that was performing. Well I still got to find an editor for this thing and I guess the screen they call it screens instead of blocks but the screens file might be corrupted or something cuz I all I get is question ????? when I do one list or two list , but those question marks are in a 40X16 matrix..

Edited by GDMike

Regarding Forth+

Here's an old post

On 10/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, Ksarul said:

There are two versions of Forth that run on the Geneve. One is by Mike McCann (and used with The Printer's Apprentice, The Geometer's Apprentice, and HQ Stacks), the other is Forth+ by Bill Sullivan. It was a further development of Mike's version, IIRC, and Mike's was a further development of TI Forth.

So I blew away that version of forth for geneve, and I went back to@Beerys9640 files and I didn't see it anymore, but I found this version instead.

The three files are

FORTH

FORTHIMAGE

SCRNS

It booted to this screen

And I can do a 1 LIST, unlike the other version, but "WORDS" is an invalid word.. and so is EDIT.

I'm looking through the screens to see what I can see.

IMG_20210315_171927771_TOP.jpg

IMG_20210315_171418723.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1