IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Ok. Without a hard drive and without tipi using Geneve is pretty awesome.

Maybe this Forth+ will allow for timode and still be ok?

I never tried that, as when I got my first 9640 Geneve everything was accessed from TI MODE, and they were using Myarc II Level IV version 2.11 while I was already using version 2.12 om my TI-99/4A with Myarc 512K card partitioned for 128KOS, 24K print buffer and 360K RAMDISK, so big let down at the time.  By the time they got MDOS functional I was already using Mike McCann's TI Forth for MDOS, and trying to convince him to implement my MMS Library plan.  He, of course, had his own plan underway, so no dice.  More history when I have time.  The Forth+ binder is boxed, addressed and will be shipped once I leave here for my VA appointment in North Las Vegas in the morning.  Lord willing, of course, as I just remember this appointment being cancelled last month.

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
Added important comment
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm for one wanting to get the scoop ☺️ and would love to hear more on how this project began and ended, if and when you find time. Don't leave anything out. Bahaha.. I know these systems, take time to build, especially when people have regular day jobs.

I'm not sure how long lee has been working on his FBforth, but, and/ I'm sure it's never really done.

Turboforth seems to be the only one I see as done.

But new hardware comes out, yes, even for the ti, like SAMs and, well, indirectly the TIpi. so as long as that kinda thing happens,  a flavor of forth will try to take advantage of it via A and some forth genius. Great job hats off! for the FORTH guys!!

Edited by GDMike

36 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm for one wanting to get the scoop ☺️ and would love to hear more on how this project began and ended, if and when you find time. Don't leave anything out. Bahaha.. I know these systems, take time to build, especially when people have regular day jobs.

I'm not sure how long lee has been working on his FBforth, but, and/ I'm sure it's never really done.

Turboforth seems to be the only one I see as done.

But new hardware comes out, yes, even for the ti, like SAMs and we'll indirectly the TIpi. so as long as that kinda thing happens,  a flavor of forth will try to take advantage of it.  Great job hats off! for the FORTH guys!!

My old gray matter may not be up to it, as I no longer have the Forth+ binder, but I do have some old emails which are not so easy to find specific info on my Forth+ development done mostly in Poland where modem speed was limited to 300 baud!!!!  That means, if I still have one or two of the hard drives I was using back then....  I know I still have one good 45MB drive, but I don't have a clue as to what's on it, and I can't get to it until after we move......  I also have some MESS 120MB & 240MB .hd & .chd hard drive images on my PC.  All should be Geneve related, but not necessarily Forth+ related, as I don't recall.  Please, remember I was working on a version of my Forth+ MMS Library for TurboForth, but health issues prevented me from finishing it.  So another project of mine for you to complete.   Also know that the MMS Library requires a minimum of 256K memory.  That's why my SNUG TI-99/4P has 1MB of 16 bit SAMS, and I have two 1MB SAMS PEB cards.

corrected two typos
  • Like 3

On 3/16/2021 at 4:02 PM, Bill R Sullivan said:

They are TI-Writer files; 368 pages worth.  If you are serious about doing this, I could send you all my version 2.0  stuff including my version 1.01 marked up documentation, but you may have to check with Mike McCann to see if he will require that you have a registered TI Forth for MDOS to do this work on line or release it to other users.  Let me know.

RetroBill (fdos)

Actually, Mike passed the rights to all of his software to Dee Turner in the mid-nineties. Dee kept producing copies to fill orders until about 2008 or so under the TR Software banner.He then hung it up (and I believe he released all of the software at that time--I used to have an email to that effect, but I don't think I have it anymore).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Actually, Mike passed the rights to all of his software to Dee Turner in the mid-nineties. Dee kept producing copies to fill orders until about 2008 or so under the TR Software banner.He then hung it up (and I believe he released all of the software at that time--I used to have an email to that effect, but I don't think I have it anymore).

I'd love to get this program running, well, i mean it's running, but not fully yet. 

I'm excited to see it exists actually.

Thx for that info @Ksarul

I'm having trouble invoking the editor in FORTH+, I'm not sure if @Willsy would know anything about how FORTH+ calls it's editor, but I can get it to LIST Turboforth's BLOCK files to the Geneve screen.

but I don't have any of the original WORDS BLOCK files, that is, Word definitions.

Edited by GDMike

On 3/16/2021 at 9:30 PM, HOME AUTOMATION said:

In my heart of hearts; I always suspected ...you were a rocket scientist!?

:cool:

Cards, anyone want to play?

I love card games myself, and I want to make one with the FORTH+ .

Now that brings everything full circle .

Right Bill?

IMG_20210317_212257337.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

From a time way back when I was beating up my graphics words. 

We can translate it when you get your new Forth system working up to snuff.

If was doing this it for real the code to generate a card would read something like:

5 OF-HEARTS.     :) 

ACE OF-SPADES. 

KING OF-DIAMONDS. 

\ Draw simple CARDs in four suits   B Fox 2017
INCLUDE DSK1.TOOLS
INCLUDE DSK1.GRAFIX
INCLUDE DSK1.DATABYTE

HEX
CREATE CLUBS
       DATA 0007,0F0F,0F07,73F9    \ Color 1
       DATA FDFF,FDF9,7103,070F    \
       DATA 00C0,E0E0,E0C0,9C3E    \
       DATA 7EFE,7E3E,1C80,C0E0    \

CREATE SPADES
       DATA 0001,0307,0F1F,3F7F    \ Color 1
       DATA 7F7F,7F3F,1D01,0307    \
       DATA 0000,80C0,E0F0,F8FC    \
       DATA FCFC,FCF8,7000,80C0    \

CREATE HEARTS
       DATA 0000,1C3E,7F7F,7F7F    \ Color 7
       DATA 3F1F,0F07,0301,0000    \
       DATA 0000,70F8,FCFC,FCFC    \
       DATA F8F0,E0C0,8000,0000    \

CREATE DIAMONDS
       DATA 0001,0307,0F1F,3F7F    \ Color 7
       DATA 3F1F,0F07,0301,0000    \
       DATA 0000,80C0,E0F0,F8FC    \
       DATA F8F0,E0C0,8000,0000    \

2 CONSTANT BLACK
7 CONSTANT RED

: BIGCHAR!  ( addr 1st-char -- ) ]PDT 20 VWRITE ;

: EMIT2     ( char# -- ) DUP EMIT 2+ EMIT ; \ emit char#, char#+2

: BIGEMIT   ( bigchar# -- ) \ write 4 chars to the screen
            VCOL @ VROW @ >R >R       \ save cursor pos.
            DUP EMIT2
            VCOL @ 2- VROW @ 1+  AT-XY
            DUP 1+ EMIT2
            R> 2+ R>  AT-XY  DROP ;       \ restore cursor + 2 cols

: PUT2     ( bigchar -- bigchar' ) DUP EMIT 2+ DUP EMIT ;
: PUT4     ( bigchar -- )
           DUP PUT2
           VROW 1+!  -2 VCOL +!
           DUP PUT2 DROP ;

GRAPHICS
80 SET# RED   1 COLOR  \ set chars >80..>87 to RED
88 SET# BLACK 1 COLOR  \ set chars >88..>8F to BLACK

DIAMONDS 80 BIGCHAR!   \ fills CHARS 80,81,82,83
HEARTS   84 BIGCHAR!

CLUBS    88 BIGCHAR!
SPADES   8C BIGCHAR!

: RPTCHAR  ( CHAR n -- ) 0 ?DO   DUP BIGEMIT   LOOP DROP ;

: TEST  PAGE
        80 10 RPTCHAR CR CR
        84 10 RPTCHAR CR CR
        88 10 RPTCHAR CR CR
        8C 10 RPTCHAR CR CR  ;

Classic99 QI399.025 2021-03-18 12_19_37 AM.png

• Like 2

Good start ?

in my program, there's only going to be 5 cards showing at any one time for a single user only game.

User enters a start bet amount.

5 cards are displayed for the player at start up.

User will drop whatever 1-5 they'd like to drop after each game period start.

And can redraw to replace those dropped earlier.

Payoffs range from cards hit double, triple, 4 of a kind, 5 of one suit, small straight, full straight, 4 aces, 4 kings,

4 queens, and royal flush

(AKQJT one suit)

Winner takes amount entered * payoff scale.

I wrote one of these In MS .NET years ago where .JPG files are easy to come by.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

I'm almost done getting Forth+ user/info manual into a word doc.

As soon as it's done I'll post it.

There is a lot as the author goes over some of the tidbits of, what is forth?

So you can imagine 

But Ill give the author a lot of credit for

Packing such a large quantity of material into a small area.

And it's generally fun to review, but I've kinda seen the same sorta stuff written pretty much everywhere when they try to explain what FORTH is.

" It's a language" NO "it's not a language"

Lol...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm almost done getting Forth+ user/info manual into a word doc.

As soon as it's done I'll post it.

There is a lot as the author goes over some of the tidbits of, what is forth?

So you can imagine 

But Ill give the author a lot of credit for

Packing such a large quantity of material into a small area.

And it's generally fun to review, but I've kinda seen the same sorta stuff written pretty much everywhere when they try to explain what FORTH is.

" It's a language" NO "it's not a language"

Lol...

Very true, but there are beginners just trying to learn why forth is so special, so they need to be included or they will never learn and never join in on all the fun!  Did you hear my voice mail on your phone?  Your Forth+ binder is on it's way.   It should be there this Monday.  I will provide you a PM with the cost and tracking information tomorrow.  I'm very tired right now, so continue having fun while I just rest my weary muscles, and eye-lids that I can hardly keep open to type this message.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Very true, but there are beginners just trying to learn why forth is so special, so they need to be included or they will never learn and never join in on all the fun!  Did you hear my voice mail on your phone?  Your Forth+ binder is on it's way.   It should be there this Monday.  I will provide you a PM with the cost and tracking information tomorrow.  I'm very tired right now, so continue having fun while I just rest my weary muscles, and eye-lids that I can hardly keep open to type this message.

Yes, I got the message and I appreciate that. I sent you a PM and I would have called you back but didn't have a number.

Oh yes, there might be newbie's to Forth

And this doc will cover some good information.

I was out  when you called, sorry about that.

I'll hookup with you soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Yes, I got the message and I appreciate that. I sent you a PM and I would have called you back but didn't have a number.

Oh yes, there might be newbie's to Forth

And this doc will cover some good information.

I was out  when you called, sorry about that.

I'll hookup with you soon.

Sorry, about that; cellphone#: 928-201-2073; USPS Tracking#: 9505 5137 7511 1077 6610 58; shipping cost: $22.90

Not possible because I had my cellphone on DO NOT DISTURB until after I arrived home.  Now go read some more of the docs.

• Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 6:52 PM, Ksarul said:

So, Dee was the reason I got a Dear John message from Mike instead of his software rights.  Thanks for the info Jim.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, GDMike said:

Oh I see the reason I'm not finding an editor.

I need to switch to the proper library

Oh k. I'll research how to do that. I know the name of the library not the word that changes me out and into a new one.

Please explain exactly how you are booting into Forth+ from MDOS, and don't see on screen what you should do next.  Waiting........

• Like 1

I'm just typing FORTH and it boots 

But I guess my issue is how to change libraries?

Sorry for the slow response, I'm just putting away groceries, letting the dog out, and putting away 10 huge bags of redwood away in the yard...

Edited by GDMike

16 hours ago, GDMike said:

Oh I see the reason I'm not finding an editor.

I need to switch to the proper library

Oh k. I'll research how to do that. I know the name of the library not the word that changes me out and into a new one.

Actually, there are two Libraries that can be actuated simultaneously; one is a support code Library called LIB-S, and application Library called LIB-A.  When Forth+ was first released, I believe there was only one LIB-A Library, and 4 or 5 LIB-S Libraries, but I'm no longer sure of that as I made many changes while working on the version 2.00 release that never happened, so not there now.  HELP may be a LIB-A, and also a simple checkbook ledger may also be LIB-A.  Good luck!  You'll need it.  Now we know what a couple of decades can do to my memory.?

added additional info
  • Thanks 1

Ok. I'll research after making coffee and breakfast...it's been a beeezy day already and I'm going backwards to go forward.

(We have one vehicle and my run 30 mins down the highway to spend another hour and a half getting stuff we need, because my son needs his car back to him by his wakeup time so he can go back to work for another 12-15... and I've pulled something in my left side so I'm moving slowly....

Edited by GDMike

48 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm just typing FORTH and it boots 

But I guess my issue is how to change libraries?

Sorry for the slow response, I'm just putting away groceries, letting the dog out, and putting away 10 huge bags of redwood away in the yard...

I think you just type LIB-S name_of_Library or LIB-A name_of_Library  Or ask Ksarul, as his memory may be better than my old gray matter.  Of course once the Forth+ binder arrives you'll have the diskettes to show the way.  In fact, maybe LIB-S & LIB-A come from X4th99 development and not MDOS at all.

Ah ha, according to my X4th99 concept notes (dated: Oct. 01, 2008) LIB-S & LIB-A come from Forth+, and due to being 8K in size had to be reduced to 4K because of AMS/SAMS bank switching is based on 4K paging.

Added more info.
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

I think you just type LIB-S name_of_Library or LIB-A name_of_Library  Or ask Ksarul, as his memory may be better than my old gray matter.  Of course once the Forth+ binder arrives you'll have the diskettes to show the way.  In fact, maybe LIB-S & LIB-A come from X4th99 development and not MDOS at all.

Ah ha, according to my X4th99 concept notes (dated: Oct. 01, 2008) LIB-S & LIB-A come from Forth+, and due to being 8K in size had to be reduced to 4K because of AMS/SAMS bank switching is based on 4K paging.

Good to know. I'll be out working in the yard... ttyl

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Good to know. I'll be out working in the yard... ttyl

It looks like I should send you a copy of my X4th99 concept notes as there is lot more in them concerning Forth+ Libraries; initially it only has one 8K Library zone, and uses a CALL(....) to page Libraries in and out and return from and back to previously loaded Library, as the case may be.  The dual Libraries of LIB-S & LIB-A is a version 2.00 addition!  Likewise, ttyl

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Ok. I'll research after making coffee and breakfast...it's been a beeezy day already and I'm going backwards to go forward.

(We have one vehicle and my run 30 mins down the highway to spend another hour and a half getting stuff we need, because my son needs his car back to him by his wakeup time so he can go back to work for another 12-15... and I've pulled something in my left side so I'm moving slowly....

Hey!  You can't kill yourself before you check out Forth+ completely, and hopefully implement some of the version 2.00 upgrades.  A bicycle with a trailer might save you from pulled muscles unless there are serious up hill battles in the route (coming or going) to the stuff you all need.  Ttyl

• Like 1