IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Ok lee, that was my problem. I had NOT placed a closed semi colon at the end of line 0. My mouse loaded and my graphics words all loaded fine..

Dang.....

Can't edit... but this meant to say")" closed parentheses...I'll get things straightened out...

2 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Can't edit... but this meant to say")" closed parentheses...I'll get things straightened out...

Yes, it was beginning to look like you're having my old grey matter problems, and I can't have that happen to the guy that's taking over command of Forth+.  Get more sleep, not just time away from forth.  I know I don't get enough deep restful sleep.  It's very important once you go over 50, and more so every year after that.  Also heed any warnings you feel when tempting to repair things around the house, as that too is where I do most damage to myself.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Yes, it was beginning to look like you're having my old grey matter problems, and I can't have that happen to the guy that's taking over command of Forth+.  Get more sleep, not just time away from forth.  I know I don't get enough deep restful sleep.  It's very important once you go over 50, and more so every year after that.  Also heed any warnings you feel when tempting to repair things around the house, as that too is where I do most damage to myself.

Read my private message... ?

4 hours ago, GDMike said:

Ok lee, that was my problem.

I'm still trying to get in and out of libraries.

It seems that once I'm in one that I can do those WORDS without a problem, but moving into, as in, calling another library, seems to give me trouble. As in, just making a typo when calling a word pretty much guarantees me a complete reboot.

Likewise, trying a word in a what if test of code, pretty much assures a lock up. 

I'm also finding graphic WORDS that work at the command line don't seem to work within a screen and called by the word LOAD. I have written down on paper how to get into graphic screen mode 7 and from the command line it works, but my Same word list run from a screen doesn't.

I've spent all day today rebooting because I'm trying to figure if it was a value I misplaced, uh..yeah.. I've been known to do that once., Ok, but when I've got a piece of code that runs from the command line it, I would think should run from a screen block file...

I may have to give up on playing with modes and use what works, TEXT80.

Here's my scenario I boot off of the BOOT file of forth+. I have to physically change the block file because I'm out of room on the boot up disk so I have to switch disks, and files so I have to use the I\Ofile command and set my block file from a command line.

Everything is fine. And I have five screens that do not call each other. on my screen 2 I have the exact source that works from a command line but when I run it from my blocks file it gives me an IO error.

But when I run it from the command line it seems to work, note, there's no files missing or else it wouldn't run from the command, because I'm calling a library and that consists of a file being present on the disk.

And what's funny is after I get the io error it's like the system wants to hang, and so pressing enter causes the screen mode change but it's not my screen mode that I selected it's like screen mode 2 or something and then it goes into a lockup. That's where I'm at today

Edited by GDMike

Well, my goal was to be able to move in and out of libraries. My memory? Always seems to be at 50 percent. So that, I suppose isn't my problem.

(Calling the library consists of the library name followed by the library actual file followed by the library name)..

But it seems as if the computer runs out of memory. Note there's no ram disk involved but the mouse driver is that's all

There's one word that I haven't found much information on and that word is called DECLARE.

I'm wondering if that's my problem because from what I understand calling a library needs the statement 0 DECLARE.

And I've only seen one example of calling the library and it said zero declare so I assumed here we go I assumed that all libraries are called with zero declare first.

But maybe I should be doing an 8192 declare instead??

55 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'm still trying to get in and out of libraries.

It seems that once I'm in one that I can do those WORDS without a problem, but moving into, as in, calling another library, seems to give me trouble. As in, just making a typo when calling a word pretty much guarantees me a complete reboot.

Likewise, trying a word in a what if test of code, pretty much assures a lock up. 

I'm also finding graphic WORDS that work at the command line don't seem to work within a screen and called by the word LOAD. I have written down on paper how to get into graphic screen mode 7 and from the command line it works, but my Same word list run from a screen doesn't.

I've spent all day today rebooting because I'm trying to figure if it was a value I misplaced, uh..yeah.. I've been known to do that once., Ok, but when I've got a piece of code that runs from the command line it, I would think should run from a screen block file...

I may have to give up on playing with modes and use what works, TEXT80.

Here's my scenario I boot off of the BOOT file of forth+. I have to physically change the block file because I'm out of room on the boot up disk so I have to switch disks, and files so I have to use the I\Ofile command and set my block file.

Everything is fine. And I five screens that do not call each other. on my screen 2 I have the exact source that works from a command line but when I run it from my blocks file it gives me an IO error.

But when I run it from the command line it seems to work, note, there's no files missing or else it wouldn't run from the command, because I'm calling a library and that consists of a file being present on the disk.

And what's funny is after I get the io error it's like the system wants to hang, and so pressing enter causes the screen mode change but it's not my screen mode that I selected it's like screen mode 2 or something and then it goes into a lockup. That's where I'm at today

It's going to take me quite a while to analyse this, but what I can tell you is that using "CALL(" is really neat once you master the parameter stack outside the "CALL(" and especially inside the "CALL("; another very important aspect of "CALL(" is that, is if you make a single "CALL(" the RETURN parameters to your previous "CALL(" are all there in proper order, and if not used accordingly or removed the "CALL(" RETURN stack will eventually overflow, and probably cause a lockup!  This explanation may be too confusing, because it doesn't cover the case of multiple libraries being accessed in a single "CALL(".  In any case this is the primary reason for two library zones in version 2.00, and now I have a big headache.  Shame on you.?  BE CAREFUL OF PAGE 52!!

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
Added important comment
  • Like 1

I've been doing nothing today but rebooting.

I just left the computer sit with the ED\ASM library current as .LIBS reports.

And after about 15 mins, I went to do a 1 EDIT, and I went straight to lockup.

Something is wrong. I've also replaced my FORTH+ BOOT and necessary files from my backup source. And that didn't matter.

Something else is going on here.

And what have I been trying to do? I'm trying to just do what I did yesterday, get into GRAPHIC7 like I was able to yesterday. But I have not been able to today.

So I'm done for the day, I did learn what DECLARE was. Yay

Edited by GDMike

Ok... another beautiful Forth+ day today, on a rainy south arkansas morning. 

I pulled the Geneve card out and reseated everything and put it back together. Today on my first boot, I locked after trying a 1 EDIT. But after rebooting, I have not locked up yet. Hopefully it'll stay stable.

Things seem to be better today, I'm not having lockups as frequent as yesterday.

Ok. I'm able to switch libraries by using this:

0 DECLARE ED\ASM ED_ASM4L ED\ASM

And simularly, GRAPH+.

But when I do a,

0 DECLARE MMSLIB MMSLIB4L MMSLIB

I get an error, as in MMSLIB?

I did notice I could do the MMSPREP and that puts me back into the MMSLIB again, but I can't load another library afterwards...

I don't think that is how to switch into the MMSLIB..

I don't understand the "CALL("   WORD.

I thought once I called a library, that I could access any word from another library with CALL ( 

So yes, not understanding that.

Just like the manual says, "you will be switching from one library to another..."

And CALL( should work for that.. I thought.

Thx for your assistance.

Edited by GDMike

Ok...I was able to get to the MMSLIB library by a manual entry at the command line. But again, not from a screen load? But I'm able to load from screen #2 my ED\ASM library just fine.

Yesterday, if I had any kind of attempt at a load and if that load failed the computer would lock, I'm not seeing that today.

IMG_20210331_081811795.jpg

IMG_20210331_081828335.jpg

Edited by GDMike

Edit: I can get to each library, but I do get some feedback with a question mark, but it does load each library.

Old info below..

It appears that it didn't load the library, but after a .LIB, it actually did. So what is all that?? Percent...

I originally thought this.. (but not true

And as I suspected, after a reboot.. MMSLIB will not load via screen load.

At least I'm figuring it out...)

IMG_20210331_084521762.jpg

Edited by GDMike

3 hours ago, GDMike said:

Edit: I can get to each library, but I do get some feedback with a question mark, but it does load each library.

Old info below..

It appears that it didn't load the library, but after a .LIB, it actually did. So what is all that?? Percent...

I originally thought this.. (but not true

And as I suspected, after a reboot.. MMSLIB will not load via screen load.

At least I'm figuring it out...)

IMG_20210331_084521762.jpg

Mike, after today I won't be able to help you any more until after we get moved and settled in.  This probably means 6 to 9 months from now.  Tomorrow I have to ship my SNUG EVPC off for repair, and some old Red Hat Linux stuff also (I will also send you that other X4th99 document as it explains some Forth+ operations due to adapting that aspect to X4th99); so after that I may monitor activity here from time to time, but that is all.

Some of the things you are trying to do make no sense to me.  In the beginning a Forth+ user should verify each library loaded and check memory used.  Once loaded, any particular library remains loaded until there is insufficient memory to load another, at which time a previously loaded library will be de-activated, and the memory used for the selected library (I don't recall the protocol for selecting the library to be de-activated). Remember, MDOS only has 64K total memory, as you don't have a MEMEX card of 512K - 2MB; like I was using developing Forth+.  Which was released early December 1991, almost 30 years ago!  My confusion today is between version 1.01 and version 2.00 that I was working on while I was in Poland from late 1996 to late 1997.  Which I abandoned when MESS emulation of the 9640 Geneve did not produce a single new Forth+ user (I believed using emulation to do development would prolong the life of Classic Computer hardware, etc.).  Also "CALL(" parameter items can also be placed on the standard forth stack outside the "CALL(...library1...library2 )" for faster execution.  The procedure for doing this is in the Forth+ Manual, which also limits the entire string of characters and spaces between "CALL(" and ")"  to 80 bytes or less.  For you it might be better to consider "Chain" or "Batch" files (also covered in the Manual) for increasing the capacity of your Geneve system.  Hopefully other forth users here will try to help out more often now.  GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
Added 2 important comments
  • Thanks 1