IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

8 hours ago, GDMike said:

Thank you. I'll be beezy Friday, who needs tires anyway...shoot. mine are almost flat...so yeah beezy day Friday, but thank you, I'll be checking it out.

Well, I needed two new tires, going to pick them up today, but they were for my mower as after 4 years of use, they were on the dry-rot side and cracking significantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 9640News said:

Well, I needed two new tires, going to pick them up today, but they were for my mower as after 4 years of use, they were on the dry-rot side and cracking significantly.

Packing up computer hardware is much more FUN.?  However, disconnecting, and untangling cables is HYSTERICAL!?

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
added life lesson
  • Like 3

I have reviewed the mouse driver documentation against the MDOS source code, and also viewed memory.  I can see no issue where any MDOS updates now or in previous years would have created any problems with the mouse driver.

The mouse driver works in all text and graphic modes.  I did see that upon switching modes, one would need to SET MOUSE and maybe SHOW MOUSE to get the appropriate mouse pointer definition redefined.  In text modes, the text cursor is a "+" symbol.

It would be good to read the mouse driver docs in the above email, and run the MDTEST program and observe what is happening as you transition across various modes.

Beery

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 9640News said:

I have reviewed the mouse driver documentation against the MDOS source code, and also viewed memory.  I can see no issue where any MDOS updates now or in previous years would have created any problems with the mouse driver.

The mouse driver works in all text and graphic modes.  I did see that upon switching modes, one would need to SET MOUSE and maybe SHOW MOUSE to get the appropriate mouse pointer definition redefined.  In text modes, the text cursor is a "+" symbol.

It would be good to read the mouse driver docs in the above email, and run the MDTEST program and observe what is happening as you transition across various modes.

Beery

Hi Beery, I think GDMike passed his 9640 Geneve to someone else to test for memory problems, so it will be a while before he can do this, as he only has his TI-99/4A right now.  I'm shipping him more pertinent Forth+ info this afternoon, along with other TI, Geneve and maybe Linux stuff to others.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Hi Beery, I think GDMike passed his 9640 Geneve to someone else to test for memory problems, so it will be a while before he can do this, as he only has his TI-99/4A right now.  I'm shipping him more pertinent Forth+ info this afternoon, along with other TI, Geneve and maybe Linux stuff to others.

True. Sorry for the delay.

I've been working on an ABS pump problem, and yardwork, laundry etc...

No I'm verified the mouse is fine there's nothing wrong with the mouse driver there's nothing wrong with the program that implements the mouse in the fourth plus program, but the computer itself has issues that are causing me trouble.

So I'm so far pulled the plug and have to make arrangements to get the machine checked out. 

But I appreciate the the code and stuff but it's hard for me to switch between machines as I only have one small table one p e b, and I've been implementing a new raspberry pi as a desktop, so my small table is even smaller nowadays.

One day I'm going to fix things up.

I am looking into another PE at the moment from someone a couple hours away from me and hopefully I can get that settled and integrated.

But yeah I don't think I need to diagnose the mouse issues because it's reporting it's working the code I was using to show like where the mouse was is just basic raw data reading the mouse and trying to put the asterisk and move the mouse again.. it wasn't supposed to be a smooth arrow pointing thing it was just showing me that the mouse was working.

The only thing I did different was I didn't load the library for the mouse the graph Plus what I did was I just read one of the screens with the definition for the mouse and text 80 mode and I just threw that into a screen and loaded it and kept my editor active and then I tested my mouse program and it was successful and I didn't lock up.

19 minutes ago, GDMike said:

The only thing I did different was I didn't load the library for the mouse the graph Plus what I did was I just read one of the screens with the definition for the mouse and text 80 mode and I just threw that into a screen and loaded it and kept my editor active and then I tested my mouse program and it was successful and I didn't lock up.

Remember, both text modes in Forth+ are implemented directly, same as TI Forth, and the graphic modes GRAPHIC 2-7 are implemented with MDOS XOPs!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Maybe someone can give me a crash course in XOP 

The only place I know for this info is Paul Charlton's GenPROG.  I paid $75.00 for my copy, which I did not receive until after the MDOS buy out, when GenPROG became part of the buy out!  I also contributed to the buy out; twice.  Until now I was done with the 9640 Geneve (especially the GenMOD version); so fortunately I will be taking a 6 to 9 month hiatus from AtariAge, 9640 Geneve, MDOS and XOP.  Saved by my daughter's desire to move out of this hacienda.  Strange what trivia comes to mind by painful past events.?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 9640News said:

Bill, whatever your contributions were, they were very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Beery, I was just glad to be a part of the 9640 Geneve taking over the TI's Home Computer contribution, as my first 9640 Geneve became a "Guinie pig" for GenMod and 2MB MEMEX; White Pages galore!.  We did everything to make the Geneve faster with up-graded components, all for naught.  It was almost two years until termination resistors on the 2MB MEMEX address lines cured the abominable White Pages.  Anyway, it was only a small matter of time before this GenMOD Geneve died.  Bud Mills could not fix it, so he replaced it with a standard 9640 Geneve, and later after several upgrades, it was a very happy PFM 515K+ with 2 MB MEMEX, but can only use 504K of it.  At one time I had two GenMOD Geneves, each with one 2MB MEMEX!  Now here I am pounding on a PC wireless keyboard, that before I started packing to move, served my TI-99/4A with F18 V1 NanoPEB & USB,  Dell E6430 8GB laptop, Dell E6420 4GB laptop, and Dell 7010 Optiplex MT 20GB and 500GB SSD, via 4 port VGA/USB K/V/M.  Now the two laptops along with docking stations are packed up for the move.  BTW they are both running MINT Linux, while the MT is still Windows 7 PRO, but once moved will also go over to MINT Linux.

added additional info
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Should that not be easy to pick?

...lee

For anyone who has functional hands and fingers.  Remember, I don't "touch type" or solder or attempt to fix malfunctioning computer hardware any more, and picking locks is not something I ever did, as losing or misplacing keys was not something I did either.  Yucks!  How much my little corner of the world has changed.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, Bill R Sullivan said:

For anyone who has functional hands and fingers.  Remember, I don't "touch type" or solder or attempt to fix malfunctioning computer hardware any more, and picking locks is not something I ever did, as losing or misplacing keys was not something I did either.  Yucks!  How much my little corner of the world has changed.

Don't send the cabinet. ?

12 hours ago, TheBF said:

Can you hold an electric drill safely?

Seems to work for the criminals. ;)

Bill, I've seen where if you just lean next to it, bam it just opens. I've seen it in a movie.

Maybe those keys are all the same on those cabinet's? Anyone got a key?

12 hours ago, TheBF said:

Can you hold an electric drill safely?

Seems to work for the criminals. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, I've never been a criminal, but then I've been in many other countries where my normal actions may have been against their laws, however, I was never arrested, so I simply don't really know about my criminal status on planet earth. ?  No, I'm not from Mars, nor do I believe that I've ever been above or beyond the atmosphere of planet earth, yet.  Finally, no, I can't safely hold an electric drill for more than 30 seconds in either hand.  My left hand is totally unsafe, because it can't hold a single sheet of standard printer paper for 30 seconds.  My hands do work if I can grasp, full fist-ed, something like the steering wheel of my car.  Yes, I am licensed to drive.  Amazing, no?

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Bill, I've seen where if you just lean next to it, bam it just opens. I've seen it in a movie.

Maybe those keys are all the same on those cabinet's? Anyone got a key?

Hmmm!  "Lean next to it"?  I think I could wave a magic wand over the lock,  but I just don't have a magic wand or if I do, I can't find it either ?.  On the other "hand", if I could just find that million $, all my problems would be solved!  Maybe it's in the cabinet?

Added important comment
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Ok. I've finally solved my desk problem with this.  The chair Will have to be cleaned up too... what a mess this room was before I started. You couldn't see the desk. 

Mike, I don't understand why you would consider moving out of this house!  Of course, my man cave is a mess (double mess) right now, due to the pending move; which I have to be totally involved in, as I have to pack all my computer stuff or watch it be destroyed by others, but I'm too slow (extra slow using extreme care), besides that I don't want to move, as I've already done my share of moving; 4 times to/from California & Texas, twice to/from Indiana, and once to/from Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, and Florida.

added everything
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ahh..ive been busy...sorry for that delay of getting back to you. short note, the car is on the road.

ok. Ive made some progress with FORTH+ Im using the kernel but IM NOT using the graphics libraries at this point as I seem to be stable using the editor,(I created my own path by editing  screen 18 of the BOOT file). created a word USEF to replace I/Ofile and I've setup my own BLOCK file on a standalone disk. Now that I have done this i have never YET locked up by general use. Looks Like I can work with this.

Im calling this, GD Forth as its missing the PLUS for now. I finally have a working FORTH for Geneve.

Oh and by the way, I did get ABASIC to work finally, Im not really sure what was causing my issues of loading the files and then getting an error at the end of loading the last file, I cannot remember the error now, but the last file would load then the cursor appeared but the program didn't run..?? Maybe i was in TIMODE I can't 

remember now. BUT it works and that's something, like 2 programs that work now that I have tried. so things are turning around for the old bird.

Getting back to Forth for Geneve, from what I gather, this version looks to be like a flavor of TI forth.  And with some of Bill's Documents, i might be able to smooth it out a bit more, But at least im sitting here at a terminal with Geneve Forth booted and i've been able to clear 200 screens, (i used an old FB blocks Disk as a work disk), and it's just humming along.

• Like 1

Update .. FORTH+ is at it again. Now at boot-up I'm getting the error, MGRACTIVATE? This comes on line 19 of the BOOT file. MMS reports this, and its job is to set the MMS active.

The line in file "BOOT"  looks like this:

MGRACTIVATE  1 WARNING

And then things like changing libraries, editing etc..do not work.

I even went back to backups from a couple months back for good configuration forth+ and they all report this error. BTW MMS reports ver 1.

I'm not sure at this point why I was good for two solid days,(the only days lately that I've done anything), and then this since two days ago when I first got the error.

I'm able to run the TI forth for geneve just fine along with ABasic,  GPL games, etc .

Not sure if it's hardware or not but I did order new ram since it's cheap and I did change out the 32k upgrade chips and that didn't make any difference at all.

If anyone knows where the memtest is I'd like to download it and try it on my geneve.

Have a great night

Edited by GDMike