IGNORED

Geneve FORTH

GDMike

I'm out of paper, lol, but when I get replinished I'll print out what . docs I can pull out. But from reading them from my laptop, I tried some examples they talked about, for example, loading the EA_ASM4L which looks like it's supposed to launch from the MDOS environment. But it says use declare, that word doesn't exist in 9640 Forth.

There's a word, MDOS that does work. It basically gets you out of FORTH and into the MDOS environment.

Anyway, lots of questions.. especially at writing to video.

I'm still alive, but extremely busy with non-hobby matters, and it has been over two decades since I've done anything with Forth+.  I worked on the version 2.0 release for it while I was in Poland, back in 1996-1997, and just 5 weeks in 1999.  I do still have the marked up documentation (TI-Writer), but I don't have either Geneve any more, so not sure how much help I can be.   Yes, MAME does do the emulation, but I don't like it, as the keyboard emulation sucks!  I never used the TI keyboard adapter on my TI-99/4P as Michael Becker modified mine at FEST WEST in Lubbock, Texas  (I believe 1998) for PC keyboard operation, so no way for me to help using PC emulation.  Not even PC99, as I don't have floppy disk drives on my Windows PC.  As I commented before, the documentation for Forth+ is in TI-Writer format, so you can use it to print out the full 368 pages!

RetroBill (fdos)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

I'm still alive, but extremely busy with non-hobby matters, and it has been over two decades since I've done anything with Forth+.  I worked on the version 2.0 release for it while I was in Poland, back in 1996-1997, and just 5 weeks in 1999.  I do still have the marked up documentation (TI-Writer), but I don't have either Geneve any more, so not sure how much help I can be.   Yes, MAME does do the emulation, but I don't like it, as the keyboard emulation sucks!  I never used the TI keyboard adapter on my TI-99/4P as Michael Becker modified mine at FEST WEST in Lubbock, Texas  (I believe 1998) for PC keyboard operation, so no way for me to help using PC emulation.  Not even PC99, as I don't have floppy disk drives on my Windows PC.  As I commented before, the documentation for Forth+ is in TI-Writer format, so you can use it to print out the full 368 pages!

RetroBill (fdos)

I'd love to see those docs! I'm really excited to get busy with this, again, uh, for the first time. Lol.

Wow, I'm like wow! You replied! Lol, . I'm at your mercy, I do appreciate what I can gather up from you, as I really want to work in this. 

Lee stewert said, don't try to guess this stuff...ask Bill. Lol

1 hour ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

I do still have the marked up documentation (TI-Writer), but I don't have either Geneve any more, so not sure how much help I can be.   Yes, MAME does do the emulation, but I don't like it, as the keyboard emulation sucks!  I never used the TI keyboard adapter...

Yes, I agree, I've got my geneve setup after getting an overhaul by @shift838 and Chris and I've always wanted to work with FORTH, I started on the TI with turbo forth by @MarkWills and find it a fantastic option for the 4A, I spent so much time in it that I didn't make time for FBforth, but I'm sure it's as awesome.

but now, I've got a chance to do something with 9938 and should be very cool to work with, if I could get a good understanding of things, thank God Lee and Brian have been active and steering me when I go off course. If you could send me docs, I'll get em printed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I'd love to see those docs! I'm really excited to get busy with this, again, uh, for the first time. Lol.

Wow, I'm like wow! You replied! Lol, . I'm at your mercy, I do appreciate what I can gather up from you, as I really want to work in this. 

Lee stewert said, don't try to guess this stuff...ask Bill. Lol

They are TI-Writer files; 368 pages worth.  If you are serious about doing this, I could send you all my version 2.0  stuff including my version 1.01 marked up documentation, but you may have to check with Mike McCann to see if he will require that you have a registered TI Forth for MDOS to do this work on line or release it to other users.  Let me know.

RetroBill (fdos)

17 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Yes, I agree, I've got my geneve setup after getting an overhaul by @shift838 and Chris and I've always wanted to work with FORTH, I started on the TI with turbo forth by @MarkWills and find it a fantastic option for the 4A, I spent so much time in it that I didn't make time for FBforth, but I'm sure it's as awesome.

but now, I've got a chance to do something with 9938 and should be very cool to work with, if I could get a good understanding of things, thank God Lee and Brian have been active and steering me when I go off course. If you could send me docs, I'll get em printed.

Yes, I am very familiar with Mark Wills' TurboForth, as I was doing the X4th99 version of the Forth+ MMS (Memory Management Library System) for TurboForth, but due to health issues I never finished it.  I also  probably have all that code somewhere.  That is if I have time and you're interested in it.  Lee is a great guy and knows forth inside and outside.  Forth+ documentation is absolutely necessary.  Too many problems will HAPPEN without it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

Yes, I am very familiar with Mark Wills' TurboForth, as I was doing the X4th99 version of the Forth+ MMS (Memory Management Library System) for TurboForth, but due to health issues I never finished it.  I also  probably have all that code somewhere.  That is if I have time and you're interested in it.  Lee is a great guy and knows forth inside and outside.  Forth+ documentation is absolutely necessary.  Too many problems will HAPPEN without it!

Absolutely cool stuff, but my apologies as I'm hoping your up to the task of pulling that stuff out, I really want to get into the meat of this, it may take time, but i have time, kids just graduated highschool and I'm just cutting grass..lol

Yes, lee is absolutely a great forth guru and keeps me aligned. Lol

I try to figure things out, read, practice, but sometimes I'm stuck and he tells me why.

Id like to get this stuff documented, read ..as I have to have physical papers not just a laptop will do.

Edited by GDMike

8 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Absolutely cool stuff, but my apologies as I'm hoping your up to the task of pulling that stuff out, I really want to get into the meat of this, it may take time, but i have time, kids just graduated highschool and I'm just cutting grass..lol

Yes, lee is absolutely a great forth guru and keeps me aligned. Lol

I try to figure things out, read, practice, but sometimes I'm stuck and he tells me why.

Id like to get this stuff documented, read ..as I have to have physical papers not just a laptop will do.

Not quite sure what you're expecting from me.  My marked up documentation of Forth+ or on-line assistance (which would be a long slow process for me that I don't have time for now nor a year from now).  I could give you my cell number, but that would have to be by appointment only!  Please clarify.

RetroBill (fdos)

• Thanks 1

Just documents, anything forth related, . If I can't figure something out, I'll shoot you a msg. But any docs would be super. As I try not to bother anyone if possible, I tell my FORTH woes online and if someone sees something I'm saying or showing, they usually chime in.

Edited by GDMike

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

Just documents. If I can't figure something out, I'll shoot you a msg. But any docs would be super.

What I have is my Forth+ binder (the external label says Forth+ version 2.00), but it's not yet nor will it ever be unless you or someone else finishes it; it contains: 2 x 5.25" floppy diskettes, 2 x 3.5" floppy diskettes (one is not the original, as there is only one original; the very first printed original manual with my version 2.00 mark ups, the MDOS video XOP Data Library 6 (10 pages), my original dated 05-30-96 with my version 2.00 mark ups, consisting of TABs A-I and 127 pages total, but not all are marked up, some have WORDs underlined that probably mean I intended to make changes (this could be difficult now); also 7 pages of Mike McCann's memory map and documents; 4 pages of Mariusz Stanczak's forth MODULE from the Oct.1986 SMART PROGRAMMER that my MMS Library is based on; 2 pages of Lars-Erik Svahn from FORTH Dimensions issue Volume IX/Number 4  November/December 1987; a Dear John letter from Mike McCann to me dated October 16,1990.  In the back cover there is a Forum Hotel, Cracow Poland Telex form that I used to do the basic design of a forth code engine, if you can decipher it and make it work you too will be a forth Guru!  Obviously this took lots of time to count the pages and what have you.  Good luck, and all you have to do to begin this journey is to agree to pay for shipping it to you.

RetroBill (fdos)

Edited by Bill R Sullivan
corrected a few typos
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Filler up... send me pm and I send paypal it whatever

Ty

I don't know if I can get it done tomorrow or not, as I have to confirm my Thursday VA appointment in North Las Vegas, and hopefully go there Thursday, as my previous appointment on Feb 25th had to be cancelled due to high 55mph winds here in Bullhead City, Arizona. How about Zelle, it seems to be the easy and less expensive way these days?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

I don't know if I can get it done tomorrow or not, as I have to confirm my Thursday VA appointment in North Las Vegas, and hopefully go there Thursday, as my previous appointment on Feb 25th had to be cancelled due to high 55mph winds here in Bullhead City, Arizona. How about Zelle, it seems to be the easy and less expensive way these days?

Is that VA center across from nellis still open? I was there in the USAF when it opened and they talked about shutting it down. I lived in Vegas 30 years. 1980-2010 used to ride dirt bikes in the area rt behind the VA center. It's nice that they widen that highway in Arizona to Nevada that two lane was just terrible for so many years

I sent you a personal message, do you see that.

Edited by GDMike

59 minutes ago, Bill R Sullivan said:

And I heard it was snowing in summerlin last weekend. Crazy weather. We're expecting tornadoes tonight..yuk

49 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Is that VA center across from nellis still open? I was there in the USAF when it opened and they talked about shutting it down. I lived in Vegas 30 years. 1980-2010 used to ride dirt bikes in the area rt behind the VA center. It's nice that they widen that highway in Arizona to Nevada that two lane was just terrible for so many years

I sent you a personal message, do you see that.

When I first checked into the VA emergency room it was still at Nellis, but the new VA facility is on Pecos just before Lamb, so I too served in the USAF (AF19644114), and I did that from memory!  That was the first and last time, since then even the emergency room is at the new VA hospital.  However, there are still aspects they can't do, as they sent me to the Sunrise Hospital and Medical center in Las Vegas for my TAVR procedure, which was successful if you don't count the busted artery that now has a stint in it!  Yes to the PM, I'll PM you when I have the particulars to send.  Where are you living now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sent you a PM with that information.

I'm in south arkansas. Near louisiana

Yup, been to sunrise a few times, heart scans, back surgeries...yup... but I didn't have any complaints.. really.

I sure hope you don't have an artery issue. That's something you gotta not have.

AFSC42752 I think this is right. Jet engine mechanic, 1980 F15/16

Edited by GDMike

9 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'm out of paper, lol, but when I get replinished I'll print out what . docs I can pull out. But from reading them from my laptop, I tried some examples they talked about, for example, loading the EA_ASM4L which looks like it's supposed to launch from the MDOS environment. But it says use declare, that word doesn't exist in 9640 Forth.

There's a word, MDOS that does work. It basically gets you out of FORTH and into the MDOS environment.

Anyway, lots of questions.. especially at writing to video.

Don't worry about video, it's covered well in Forth+, plus the primary reason for version 2.00 was video enhancements!  I didn't see you in my PM list!

RetroBill (fdos)

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 11:02 PM, Lee Stewart said:

VWTR should work the same as in TI Forthbyte vreg VWTR

For @InsaneMultitasker

HEX
F6 7 VWTR

I don't know why this phone keeps acting up... ignore the reply info plz.

I found that FORTH+ reads BLOCK files. As it's reading my turboforth essentials BLOCK file.

IMG_20210317_130948045.jpg

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1