LaymanVideoGamer

Do Any ColecoVision Games Have An Ending?

I'm a big ColecoVision fan. In fact, I've almost finished my complete in box collection (only 8 to go!). My question is... are there any ColecoVision games that have an actual ending? Are any of them winnable? Of all the games I have, I have never come across any. And I don't mean flipping the score back to zero or breaking the code by getting super far... I mean a legitimate ending. I understand that ColecoVision came out during the golden arcade years where getting the high score was the ultimate goal and not "finishing" a game, but surely there has to be at least one original release that has an ending, right?

Does anyone know? 

Choplifter, Pitfall and Pitfall II have ending.

Once you get the max score, the game ends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Serguei2 said:

Choplifter, Pitfall and Pitfall II have ending.

Once you get the max score, the game ends.

Thank you Serguei2! But no actual ending cut-scenes though right?

No cut-scenes in endings unless I miss some games.

Homebrew games have cut-scenes (opening & ending).

• Like 1

Are there any ColecoVision games where if you get far enough you break the game, a la Pac-Man or Donkey Kong (arcade)?  I have never come across one of those either.

10 minutes ago, mozartpc27 said:

Are there any ColecoVision games where if you get far enough you break the game, a la Pac-Man or Donkey Kong (arcade)?  I have never come across one of those either.

You mean the game becomes unplayable?

Burgertime: 

You really needs to be good to reach that far.

Don't know for other games.

Without taking a deep dive into the legacy cart releases, The Dam Busters has an ending for a successful bomb run. A grey area ending would be destroying the Death Star in Star Wars... after which you continue playing at a higher skill level.

• Like 1

Antarctic Adventure has an ending cut scene when you reach the South Pole.

Also, technically War Games & 2010 both have 2 endings each. (1 for winning and 1 for losing)

• Like 1

Doesn't Donkey Kong have a timer bug problem, where after 20+ levels, the timer overflows, and renders the 21st or 22nd level unclearable because only 600 points are on the timer? Something like a kill-screen, like Burgertime. 

8 hours ago, zyzzle said:

Doesn't Donkey Kong have a timer bug problem, where after 20+ levels, the timer overflows, and renders the 21st or 22nd level unclearable because only 600 points are on the timer? Something like a kill-screen, like Burgertime. 

I believe that is true in the arcade version, but I am pretty sure I have exceeded 20+ levels on Donkey Kong without this happening on the CV.

• Like 1

Anyway, i think almost all game with no ending and a score , will reach to a state where the score will come back to zero  or crash or enter in a strange mode...

• Like 1

I believe Jumpman Jr. qualifies.......after finishing level 12 a CONGRATULATIONS message appears and if I remember correctly the game ends (it doesn't loop back to the first level)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I believe Jumpman Jr. qualifies.......after finishing level 12 a CONGRATULATIONS message appears and if I remember correctly the game ends (it doesn't loop back to the first level)

Geez!

I reached level 12 but never complete it.

• Like 1

In Gyruss, when you reach Earth should be considered an ending since that is the goal. Then it restarts at what I assume is a higher skill level.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TeddyBear89 said:

After level 12, levels are selected randomly until your lives are gone according to the instructions. 

Edited by ed1475

I stand corrected....truth be told I have been thinking about this all day and I could not recall if the game stopped or continued on with the random levels.

Just finishing 12 and seeing CONGRATULATIONS was grandeur enough lol!

• Like 1

Zaxxon Super Game is one example, in which shows an ending of the pilot exiting the spaceship and off the screen with his/her jetpack.

• Like 1

There is one game that is 100% movie accurate. 

Rocky- skill 4..... get knocked out. Clubber wins.

Play again

Pick skill 1. Whoop Clubbers ass and raise your arms in victory.

You have just completed Rocky 3 on Colecovision.

Congratulations.

A winner is you

• Like 2

17 hours ago, atarilovesyou said:

Chuck Norris Superkicks ends.  You're left alone in the final room after defeating all the enemies and have to turn off the game.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info!