IGNORED

Working JagCD price 2021?

Blazing Lazers

I've made up my mind to sell my working JagCD unit, as I've never really used it all that much and could put the proceeds from it toward much better gaming opportunities. It does include the original power adapter, but no box or manual. I could also throw in the Myst disc. My minor dilemma is two-fold: what to ask for it, and whether to risk shipping it. A check at sold listings on Ebay revealed sales between $400 to over $900, which was shocking even at the low end for untested units. 

My question is this: what is a good Forum (not Ebay) price for a working JagCD player in 2021 A.D.?  I really don't want to use Ebay, and would prefer to sell to an appreciative collector. Local pickup would be ideal, provided the buyer is close by enough to remain compliant with travel restrictions, though I'd risk shipping for a buyer who understands how finicky and fragile these units can be.

I sold a JagCD I repaired and had acquired the full set of original pack-in games for $900 in about an hour on eBay several months ago. They seem even more in-demand now for some reason. I've never paid over $700 for one myself, but besides the first one, I've bought them all in bundles or broken.

My amateur assessment is $700-800 for an incomplete bundle like that for a friendly price.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, qrysdonnell said:

Now is definitely the time to sell I almost got one a little over a year ago - I think I had bid $500 and it went for $550. Haven’t seen them that cheap since so I’ve put that idea on hold for a while as I’m sure they’ll come down eventually.

I've been wondering about that- has any retro hardware gone down in price at all? It seems like everything, especially for systems that weren't as popular back in the day, just keeps spiking. 

I bought mine (boxed with all games in box) as a buy it now on ebay for £299 ($400) around 3 years ago but even then that was a low price as the guy put it on as a buy it now and I snapped it up.

If you do use ebay, over here in the UK, every two weeks most sellers get a special offer where any item you sale (what ever the price it sells for) you only pay £1 in fees instead of the usual 10% which is a massive saving if you are selling something that is going to sell for a high price as normally a (for the sake of example) $500 sale would give ebay $50 at 10% then you also lose about 3% to paypal so if you did use ebay look to sell it on a special promotion.

ebay does seem to be the place to go to get the maximum money for the items you sell but you must send any item you sell tracked and signed for or some people will say it never got here and they will get a full refund and keep your machine - there are a lot of crooks on there and if people pay with a credit card via paypal then even after ebays refund deadline has gone (45 days I think) they can still do a paypal or credit card charge back up to 6 months after the sale has ended so long after you have spent the money they can ask to send it back for a full refund - that's why I keep proof of postage now for 6 months before I throw them out - and yes I learned from experience the whole credit card charge back fiasco on an ebay sale once in the past.

If you don't want to use ebay take a look at what price they sell for and if you never get the £1 selling offer in the USA knock 10% off the price and see if someone on here wants it - and in UK we have loads of facebook 'local' selling pages but you'd be lucky to find someone on one of those who was looking for one.

I would say source prices on ebay - knock 10% off for fees you would incur and sell on here, maybe even knock a bit more off if not using paypal and at least that way you'll be selling to someone genuine

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JaggingUK said:

I bought mine (boxed with all games in box) as a buy it now on ebay for £299 ($400) around 3 years ago but even then that was a low price as the guy put it on as a buy it now and I snapped it up.

If you do use ebay, over here in the UK, every two weeks most sellers get a special offer where any item you sale (what ever the price it sells for) you only pay £1 in fees instead of the usual 10% which is a massive saving if you are selling something that is going to sell for a high price as normally a (for the sake of example) $500 sale would give ebay $50 at 10% then you also lose about 3% to paypal so if you did use ebay look to sell it on a special promotion.

ebay does seem to be the place to go to get the maximum money for the items you sell but you must send any item you sell tracked and signed for or some people will say it never got here and they will get a full refund and keep your machine - there are a lot of crooks on there and if people pay with a credit card via paypal then even after ebays refund deadline has gone (45 days I think) they can still do a paypal or credit card charge back up to 6 months after the sale has ended so long after you have spent the money they can ask to send it back for a full refund - that's why I keep proof of postage now for 6 months before I throw them out - and yes I learned from experience the whole credit card charge back fiasco on an ebay sale once in the past.

If you don't want to use ebay take a look at what price they sell for and if you never get the £1 selling offer in the USA knock 10% off the price and see if someone on here wants it - and in UK we have loads of facebook 'local' selling pages but you'd be lucky to find someone on one of those who was looking for one.

I would say source prices on ebay - knock 10% off for fees you would incur and sell on here, maybe even knock a bit more off if not using paypal and at least that way you'll be selling to someone genuine

Bad buyers are indeed a huge part of why I no longer wish to sell on Ebay. The new Managed Payments system was the last straw, particularly how I would have to wait several Business Days to get the money from a sale. 

From what I can tell, $500 plus shipping seems to be a fair Forum price. I may have a post up soon. 

• Like 1

Ebay has got worse and worse for anyone selling anything - and ebay keeps sending any buyers a reminder that anything they bought has an 'easy returns' policy on it so it puts in their head from the moment of purchase that this item can be returned free of charge anytime within the first ten days. It's a new thing they are trialing but all it does is make a buyer think 'great i can return this' - yes they could return in the past but now a buyer gets an email per purchase telling him all about how easy the new returns policy is... I did used to sell a few items to Europe and USA but now ebay adds so many charges likes sales tax to certain states that it puts buyers off when they see the extra charges so private sales may be the way to go.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 7:43 AM, Blazing Lazers said:

From what I can tell, $500 plus shipping seems to be a fair Forum price. I may have a post up soon. 

If it isn't obvious from my prior post, that's quite a generous offer on your part. I already have more JagCDs than anyone should so I won't be buying, but I can vouch for this being a good deal (Well, if you can call anything "good" in the current pricing environment) if anyone's been thinking about getting their big cat a discman.

• Like 1

At this point selling on eBay makes me too anxious. It's too easy for the buyer to scam or screw over the seller. The eBay buyer guarantee pretty much ensures that a buyer will be on the winning end of any dispute. They can take your quality item and return busted crap for a refund. There's pretty much nothing you can do about it. I still buy on eBay and my experience as a buyer is almost completely positive. As a seller I have been burned a few times.

$500 for a JagCD is a guaranteed quick sell. Someone here is going to snatch that up immediately.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:43 PM, Blazing Lazers said:

I've been wondering about that- has any retro hardware gone down in price at all? It seems like everything, especially for systems that weren't as popular back in the day, just keeps spiking. 

NES has, but I think thats just because there was a point where it was considered the golden standard of retro when retro was a fad that transcended the generation that actually knew the games. Everyone who liked a youtuber who played retro games had to have an NES and some games. Now the fad is faded and is being replaced by pokemon cards which are the new hyperinflated items. Its still nowhere near as cheap as it was 10 years ago though.

Edited by captainblack
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Jaguar CD that I bought 30 € in 2000 from a private individual.

Now that I have a JaguarGD, I'm waiting for the CD support, and I'll donate it to MO5 or a video game museum.

I think when Jaguar GD takes over CD support, the price will drop.

Do you know of any interested video game museums?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guillem said:

I have a Jaguar CD that I bought 30 € in 2000 from a private individual.

Now that I have a JaguarGD, I'm waiting for the CD support, and I'll donate it to MO5 or a video game museum.

I think when Jaguar GD takes over CD support, the price will drop.

Do you know of any interested video game museums?

You can donate it to the South Orange Video Game Museum in South Orange, NJ. It's really just my basement though, although we do have some local press!

https://www.mattersmagazine.com/post/a-gamer-s-paradise-in-south-orange-by-donny-levit

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zerosquare said:

I don't think so. This has not happened on other consoles.

Agreed. If anything, prices have gone up since flash carts became commonplace. Let's be realistic, anyone paying hundreds of dollars for a Jag CD and over $100 for a longbox of Braindead 13 isn't paying that money for the entertainment value they'll get. It's a collectors' market.

• Like 6

I just listed my CIB on eBay. Fingers crossed that it goes well. It's true that eBay's rules are stacked against sellers, but I've had relatively few bad experiences. (I probably just jinxed myself with that statement...)

I haven't yet listed my CD titles, as I'm wondering if there's a definitive way of backing these up.  I assume there's enough copies out there that it's not a big deal if I don't make backups of mine - someone else will do it - but I'm just not sure.  I have Braindead 13, Highlander, Dragon's Lair, Hover Strike, Baldies, Battle Morph, Space Ace, and Myst.  Any thoughts on the need to make backups of these - either the discs or the boxes -  for posterity's sake?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...