IGNORED

7800 expansion module

Edfc2005

2 hours ago, Edfc2005 said:

Can these be found in the wild?  I really would like to get my hands on one...any ideas?  Thanks!

At this time, the closest you can get to what some of the expansion module would have provided, would be to look at purchasing a Dragonfly Flash/expansion cart. It is a flash cartridge to play 7800 games only, but also has the ability to run Pokey games with a pokey added or the pokeymax module and also has the ability to have a YM2151 module added for FM sound. The XM was to have the same abilities but would also have provided high score cartridge and other interfaces as well. But as Mitch said, the creator behind the XM sadly passed away last year so the status of the XM is in limbo for the time being.

Edited by -^CrossBow^-
Corrected a typo on the YM chips type
  • Like 7

The short answer is NO. 

There are maybe 3-5 people max that have the last prototypes that were being worked on and test on before Curt passed. Until stuff is completely settled there is no chance that anything else is going to happen with the XM. 

I look at it this way..

It is a donation to Atari R&D.

I wish things would have worked out differently and Curt was alive(along with other friends who passed) to see this thing get into everyone's hands. 

Someday maybe someone will pick it up or maybe not. 

Dragonfly kind of gets close with the pokey and YM. But still nothing has high score saving, extra ram, sio port, etc..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edfc2005 said:

Can these be found in the wild?  I really would like to get my hands on one...any ideas?  Thanks!

Btw welcome to Atariage. A quick read on ANY xm topic you would know it was never released. 

Do you know where I can find Electrocop? 

8 hours ago, Jinks said:

Dragonfly kind of gets close with the pokey and YM. But still nothing has high score saving, extra ram, sio port, etc..

Well, it does support on-chip RAM as part of the bankswitching schemes so there is that. It’s too bad the firmware doesn’t support HSC though. I wonder if Rafal could add that? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been waiting for the XM for years and I can wait as long as it takes, if it never happens I can live with that too. Being an Atari 7800 Collector is often expensive and requires a lot of patience. In the mean time I will keep buying the "PK" carts from the Atari Store while trying to complete the official releases also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1