IGNORED

SOLD: Modded Sega Saturn model 2 console with games, controller and hookups

ApolloBoy

SOLD! Up for sale here is a modified model 2 Sega Saturn console with a controller, hookups, and several games. This Saturn has had quite a few things done to it (all by me) which includes an FRAM mod, modchip (so you can play backups without the need of a Pseudo Saturn cart), recapped PSU, 3D-printed replacement battery cover and a replacement 3D-printed AC power jack from Laser Bear. The top shell has been replaced with one from a Japanese model 2, which gives the console a neat two-tone look. I've also put in a fresh 2032 battery for the real-time clock (the FRAM mod means your saves aren't at the mercy of the battery anymore!). This console has been thoroughly tested and works well. The only real flaw is that the controller ports can sometimes be a little touchy but still work OK.

Included with the console are a cleaned and tested model 2 controller, AV cable, power cable, and the following games:

• Daytona USA (Not for Resale version with cardboard sleeve)
  • Galactic Attack (loose, will come in a thin jewel case)
  • NiGHTS into Dreams (CIB, manual has a security sticker on one of the pages)
  • Sonic 3D Blast (CIB, has a crack on the front)
  • Tomb Raider (CIB, longbox has a broken hinge)
  • Virtua Cop (Not for Resale version with cardboard sleeve)

I'm thinking $225 shipped for the lot would be fair but I am open to suggestions. I can provide more pics on request and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Is that FRAM piggybacked? Or was the original SRAM epoxied down?

I removed the original SRAM chip (which was not epoxied) and soldered in the FRAM chip. Unfortunately these later Saturn boards tend to be fragile so I inadvertently pulled a few pads during the removal process, but I patched them by wiring the affected pins to the appropriate pins on the BIOS.

23 minutes ago, ApolloBoy said:

I removed the original SRAM chip (which was not epoxied) and soldered in the FRAM chip. Unfortunately these later Saturn boards tend to be fragile so I inadvertently pulled a few pads during the removal process, but I patched them by wiring the affected pins to the appropriate pins on the BIOS.

Understood. As I've done this mod myself, I figured it was something along those lines. Good work!

55 minutes ago, K-Rod 13 said:

When you refer to the controller ports being "touchy", what is it about them?  Are they loose?  Do the controllers stop working mid-play due to connection?  Just curious.    

They sometimes need to be wiggled a bit at the port to get them to register, but once that's done they keep working. I've reflowed the solder joints on the controller ports, tried different controllers and cleaned the ports but nothing seems to have stuck other than that. I'll try looking at this again later today and see what I can do.

UPDATE: Cleaned the ports a bit more and now they're working just fine with no issues.

Edited by ApolloBoy

3 hours ago, ApolloBoy said:

I was going to ask how the SRAM removal went because I heard it's extremely common for the trace pads to flake away. Is this less of an issue for the Model 1 systems?

27 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

I was going to ask how the SRAM removal went because I heard it's extremely common for the trace pads to flake away. Is this less of an issue for the Model 1 systems?

I've done well over 50 FRAM mods on the Saturn. Its really a simple process as long as you use property equipment and the chip is not heavily glued. If you dont have a hot air station and wish to do it yourself then use Chip Quick it works wonders and will save you from damaging the traces. Just wik up the left over and your golden 

35 minutes ago, Bratwurst said:

Yeap I've done it a few times. But haven't ran into any with epoxy on them yet. Then again, all the ones I've seen have the SRAM on the top component side and I think the epoxied ones tend to the be bottom mount SRAM. Likely to keep them in place during the wave soldering. On the ones I did, I just use my flush cutters to cut the legs at the dip package to remove the IC and then just used my soldering iron to wick the remaining legs off the board. 

Daaaang.  This is a fine, fine looking machine, nice work!

Scratching my chin, giving this thought.

I've got a modded Saturn currently but without FRAM or anything else like you've upgraded here.  And my drive is starting to make a squeaking sound when I play burned games, so I fear its time is coming.  

LOVE the look on the two-tone, or really, four in all (Black, White, Grey, Red).  Great stuff.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 8:57 PM, Curious Sofa said:

Daaaang.  This is a fine, fine looking machine, nice work!

Scratching my chin, giving this thought.

I've got a modded Saturn currently but without FRAM or anything else like you've upgraded here.  And my drive is starting to make a squeaking sound when I play burned games, so I fear its time is coming.  

LOVE the look on the two-tone, or really, four in all (Black, White, Grey, Red).  Great stuff.

Thanks, I really put some effort into getting this system looking nice. Normally I'd keep it but I have no need for actual discs and I already have two other Saturns (a US model 1 and a Japanese model 1).