IGNORED

Sound assistance with Intellidiscs

Intellidiscs, my port of the Intellivision game Tron: Deadly Discs to the 5200 (and eventually the 8-bits, once I release the source code) is getting really close to being done.

I was wondering if any of the POKEY wizards around here would mind jumping in and helping out with the sound on this one.  I have absolutely no talent for sound design and I really want this game to have some great sound.

Based on the original game, there are about a dozen sound effects, and there are some opportunities for some music too.  If anyone has the time and inclination, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 3

On 3/16/2021 at 12:34 PM, snicklin said:

I am no sound exoert but it would be good if you could explain to prospective sound people what routines you have in your code?

1. None yet.

2. RMT is in there but with no songs loaded.

3. Something else.

I have a custom format that I've developed over the years that just happens to be very close to what RMT outputs.  I can easily adapt RMT code to my project.

26 minutes ago, Ryan Witmer said:

I have a custom format that I've developed over the years that just happens to be very close to what RMT outputs.  I can easily adapt RMT code to my project.

That is very interesting. How do you edit the music, byte by byte, perhaps the rmt editor works with it or do you use a custom front end? I have always thought that a cleverly crafted spreadsheet could do the job. I wish I could help myself, but the skills are not there!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, snicklin said:

That is very interesting. How do you edit the music, byte by byte, perhaps the rmt editor works with it or do you use a custom front end? I have always thought that a cleverly crafted spreadsheet could do the job. I wish I could help myself, but the skills are not there!

Short things like sound effects I can easily modify by hand.  For larger stuff I usually just write a quick C++ program to do the work.