IGNORED

Frame drops after updating Atari Flashback X

Hello,

After updating Atari flashback to newest version of firmware it started to lose frames. Games are from time to time not playing smooth and I can notice frame skipping. Before updating I didn't see things like this. Anyone have this also? Maybe updating to unofficial firmware will solve this issue?

Edited by Materion

which flashback do you have? what firmware revision was it out of box? which official firmware version did you flash?

If you just recently bought an X and flashed the almost 2 year old official firmware from atgames website you probably went backwards.
I would flash the newest official updates that got removed recently (v0.1.21 and v0.1.9 for regular and deluxe AFBXs)
Then flash the custom firmware allowing files to be ran from the flash drive, and even then its still going to play choppy.

Then flash the overclock custom firmware, and it will play more smooth.

Edited by Draxxon

these are official and were posted on the link you shared, but then removed days later. It will fix the messed up 

box art and the 2P glitch in Space Invaders. Make sure you only flash the correct firmware for your system.

v.0.1.9 (Deluxe version)

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=814867

v.0.1.21 (Standard version)

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=814870

there is CFW to make a standard into a deluxe, CFW to run system files from the usb drive and CFW to overclock the system to 1.2 Ghz and make it not so choppy. let me know if you want them. and if you have a standard or a deluxe.

Edited by Draxxon

There should be an up to date, all in one cfw, but i would wait until atgames re-releases the official updates and use that as the base.
if its easy to whip up, go for it. there is no telling how long atgames will take, if ever.

the overclock fixes the dropped frames. what I'm not sure about is I just bought a flashback X with v.0.1.21 and it still had choppy gameplay/dropped frames out of the box. I'm curious what version comes new and doesnt have that issue. I wish we knew what firmware number Materion had before he flashed it, because I havent seen an X or a deluxe that didnt suffer from it. I need to go and flash the 9 back to stock and test it, i wanna know it the old CFW overclocked that system back then, it had to have.

Edited by Draxxon

Each of these have the 1.2Ghz overclock built in.

Also I fixed the retroplayer.io typo (River Raid).

Atari Flashback X - 0.1.21 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

Atari Flashback X Deluxe - 0.1.9 CFW Full 1.2Ghz.img

I have kept the original games for each console.  If someone is interested in the deluxe version games for their regular X in a update file, let me know and I will make you one.

Remember...  Although this overclocked custom firmware seems to be very stable, using these are at your own risk!

Edited by MrFister
  • Thanks 1

Okay I updated firmware it works great now - thank you :).  I have problem with ROM loading - I loaded my pendrive with games in .bin format and most of them don't work. When I try to run them I got black screen for a while and then it goes back to menu screen with ROM selection. What's the reason for this?

EDIT

Ah I probably found a reason - its spaces in names of games ;).

Edited by Materion

20 minutes ago, Materion said:

Okay I updated firmware it works great now - thank you :).  I have problem with ROM loading - I loaded my pendrive with games in .bin format and most of them don't work. When I try to run them I got black screen for a while and then it goes back to menu screen with ROM selection. What's the reason for this?

EDIT

Ah I probably found a reason - its spaces in names of games ;).

The games and box art must not contain spaces in their names.

Also the games must be in .a26 format.  You can always create a bat file and change the format in one go.

Just put this in a bat file. 

ren *.bin *.a26

And run it in the roms directory.  This works flawlessly for me.

Or better yet you could always use my Complete Retail NTSC game pack here.

Edited by MrFister
  • Like 1

No spaces, periods or brackets "[]" in the file name. might want to use .a26, CFW uses .bin for sega.

also, if the file name is way too long (~100 characters) it wont work. over ~6000 games in the /game folder, and it wont work.

Here, stick these files in this archive on your drive and fire it up. its like 2000 games with art.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=820988

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

Okay I figured out that there is no way for sub-folder. Another question - I see that often flicker objects are flickering not right. They disappear for second two, three seconds then they show up for like half second then again disappear for 2-3 seconds etc. etc. Is there a way to fix it ?

Edited by Materion