IGNORED

Vectrex Custom Controller

Gr8dane

Hi Group,

I'm taking preorders for custom Vectrex controllers. Price will likely be between $60 and 75 including shipping, depending on how much interest is out there. If you'd like to preorder, please send me a message and I'll put you on the list. Once I have an idea of how many to make, I'll order parts, which will take a few weeks. I've attached some pictures to show the concept of what I'll be making.

The layout will most likely match the decal. The case will be black plastic, and the hardware will match what's shown in the cardboard/plywood controller. The cable is a repurposed Sega Genesis cable, the buttons are 1" arcade buttons, and the joystick is true analog. I would say it has slightly more precise control than the original controller.

Any questions/feedback is welcome! Depending on interest I could also make a run of reversed button order and/or a run of MB or Bandai decals.

161274516_10101580383345967_6111990770932208598_n.jpg

161310060_10101580384214227_6861552547181517414_n.jpg

161327296_10101580384748157_652314476531113952_o.jpg

• Like 1

I did a run similar couple years back. In my research and experimenting with buttons and sticks, I learned sanwa or bust on buttons, cheap ebay "sanwa like" buttons turn to powder and squeak after some use. The joysticks with the grooves in the shafts felt cheap and I noticed jumpy pots with the 2 I tested, bit the bullet on some units with no grooves from some robotics place that were $18 each, but you felt the quality when the stick was mounted. The fanned button layout will alienate a number of games, I went with straight layout so the games that are L R thrust and fire can be played comfortably with large hands. Also with games like protector and you're on the joystick, button 1 is a quick thumb twitch away for reverse. If you use the same case I did, you won't get a button that low in the slope area. I've encouraged folks to copy my layout and cash in. Texture of the overlay is crucial and a nice touch to try to match.

I documented from prototype to the product here. (starts on page 2)  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154425.0.html

Other photos.  https://tbone1892001.wixsite.com/vectrex-guide/chopper-controller

good day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chopper,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to pass on some wisdom from your experience. I will definitely reach out to Brad about the decals, all the people I've talked to so far only offer smooth vinyl, and I really want to keep that original feel.

I haven't used the new controller a ton, but so far the cheap knock-off buttons feel good, nice positive click with low effort. The joystick feels a little stiffer than the original Vectrex, but the response is extremely smooth, better than the original IMHO. I do like the look of the joystick you used, but at double the price I'm on the fence.

And I'll have to check the button layout, you're probably right about the bottom one not fitting that close to the edge because of the sloped case.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Hey Quohog and Quetzalcoatl, I've started ordering parts and it looks like prices will be around $65-70 including shipping within the USA. I ordered just enough parts to make one for each of you. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll put you on the list. I may end up doing another run in the future if interest keeps trickling in.

Quetzalcoatl, the joysticks work much better than the original! I was never impressed with the original either. The original button layout makes a lot of games more difficult too, which this design should alleviate.

Thanks guys!

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gr8dane said:

Just to bring an update on this project, the first prototype is constructed and works great! If anyone is interested in pre-ordering let me know, I'll put you on the list.

Complete Controller.jpg

Hello i could be interested in one or two depending on the final price for shipping to europe

On 4/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, gliptitude said:

Please include me for one.

.. Are those buttons different than the prototype? They look more familiar and less interesting, (not saying they are or aren't better).

They are the same buttons I've been using since the beginning. I looked back and they do look taller in the older photo, maybe it's the angle of the picture? I put you down for one, thanks!

23 hours ago, Alberto123 said:

Ok then add my for one.It's available only with the GCE logo or also with the MB?

I put you down for 1 with the GCE logo for now. I can design an MB decal, but since you're the only one who's asked about that so far I couldn't sweep that extra design time/cost under the rug. I may do an MB or Bandai run in the future if more ppl show interest, and at that point they would be the same cost.

8 minutes ago, Gr8dane said:

I put you down for 1 with the GCE logo for now. I can design an MB decal, but since you're the only one who's asked about that so far I couldn't sweep that extra design time/cost under the rug. I may do an MB or Bandai run in the future if more ppl show interest, and at that point they would be the same cost.

I'd go for MB or Bandai as well, depending on cost.

4 hours ago, wongojack said:

Is it too late to suggest buttons on the left side and stick on right?

Are you left-handed? I'm left-handed, and I always wished I could find one set up that way, that's why I ask. Um, I could definitely make one that way if you don't need a decal. If you want a matching decal, it would take me a little longer and cost a little more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr.bill said:

If your still taking orders, I would like to get one.

Just a quick question, why are you reversing the buttons? If reversing is desirable, maybe it could be done with a switch?

Hi mr.bill, I put you on the list. With the buttons reversed, you're able to use your index finger on button 4 while still having a finger on all the other buttons. IMO this works well for rapid-fire games like Minestorm.

Also, these will be assembled with crimp terminals on the buttons, so if you'd like to switch the button order you just have to unscrew the case and pull the terminals off the buttons and switch them around.

Edited by Gr8dane
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:40 PM, Gr8dane said:

Jeff31, I added you to the list. Let me know if you decide on 1 vs 2. I've got about 6 more available before I have to consider doing a 3rd run of these, which I may or may not do.

Make it 2!  (if you still have some!)

Edited by JEFF31
hit submit to fast...