IGNORED

Vectrex Custom Controller

Gr8dane

The first batch of 9 GDE Vectrex controllers is complete! Thank you to everyone who pre-ordered, giving me the confidence boost to make this project happen! I'll be ordering parts to start a batch of 25 in the coming weeks.

1091630454_GDEVectrexController.thumb.jpg.c8ce25a5d91a8daae98cdd19ce684f8b.jpg

For anyone interested, I am still adding to the pre-order list, however, it is getting pretty long. Also, for future rounds, the price will be $80 shipped within the US. Shipping costs were higher than I anticipated in the first round.

Two other news updates: 1)I'm looking into starting to use genuine Sanwa buttons. These are more expensive, but a lot of people seem to be willing to pay the premium for them. 2)My next endeavor is going to be autofire (or turbofire) controllers. These will also be a more expensive version. More news to come!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 3:25 AM, akator said:

Looking forward to the next round.  Any idea when you might be ready?

Unfortunately one of the parts I need to order is sold out. I'm looking for alternatives. My goal is still to get 50 done by end of summer.

• 2 months later...

Would love to have one of these -- especially with Sanwa/turo-fire options potentially in the works! The guy had changed at least one of the buttons out it seems, but this controller was awesome while playing Mine Storm at the vintage computers section of Southern Fried.

PXL_20210820_231414970.jpg

PXL_20210820_231422069.jpg

On 8/21/2021 at 6:33 AM, Dagels397 said:

Would love to have one of these -- especially with Sanwa/turo-fire options potentially in the works! The guy had changed at least one of the buttons out it seems, but this controller was awesome while playing Mine Storm at the vintage computers section of Southern Fried.

Hey, I'm glad you got a chance to try it out! I only sent him the enclosure with overlay, he installed his own buttons and joystick. The turbo-fire edition is likely a year out, or so, since I'm still trying to fill pre-orders for the standard controller. I'll put you on the pre-order list, that way you'll stay in the loop. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 10:58 AM, Gr8dane said:

Hey, I'm glad you got a chance to try it out! I only sent him the enclosure with overlay, he installed his own buttons and joystick. The turbo-fire edition is likely a year out, or so, since I'm still trying to fill pre-orders for the standard controller. I'll put you on the pre-order list, that way you'll stay in the loop. 

I saw the controller at Southern Fried as well and I'm glad I came across this thread as I just recently acquired a Vectrex.

Any chance I could get added to the list for a standard controller? I'd really like one.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, Gr8dane said:

The buttons on that picture look reversed (aka 4 is outside vs your first pictures), what gives?

I'd be interested in one but I am not sure if I like to keep the original Vectrex layout with 4 at the far right or if there was a solid reason your default layout has 1 in that position.

7 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

The buttons on that picture look reversed (aka 4 is outside vs your first pictures), what gives?

I'd be interested in one but I am not sure if I like to keep the original Vectrex layout with 4 at the far right or if there was a solid reason your default layout has 1 in that position.

I make versions with both button layouts. The main reason for the 4-3-2-1 button order is it's more comfortable for me on shooter games like Minestorm. The downside to this is confusing yourself on other games where the button order relates to what's on the screen. Most people prefer the original 1-2-3-4 button order (about 8:1 or more).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gr8dane said:

I make versions with both button layouts. The main reason for the 4-3-2-1 button order is it's more comfortable for me on shooter games like Minestorm. The downside to this is confusing yourself on other games where the button order relates to what's on the screen. Most people prefer the original 1-2-3-4 button order (about 8:1 or more).

What would the Sanwa option cost?
I think I would like one of these in the original 1-2-3-4 order, trying to figure out if the Sanwa upgrade is worthy.

Any update on when you'll be able to produce more?

• Like 1

I'm planning to offer a deluxe version with Sanwa buttons and a different joystick with custom springs, but I haven't worked out pricing yet. It is often difficult to source those buttons, as they seem to sell out quickly. For a controller with Sanwa buttons and a basic joystick, possibly $110 shipped within the US.

I have ordered parts for another run of 50 basic controllers. After those are complete, I think I'll start offering the deluxe version, most likely next year.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 10:58 AM, Gr8dane said:

Hey, I'm glad you got a chance to try it out! I only sent him the enclosure with overlay, he installed his own buttons and joystick.

Thanks Dane for selling the enclosures to me so that I could install genuine Sanwa buttons and Sean Kelly's repro Vectrex cable.  (I chose the Red/Black button for V4 so that newbies would presume that it is Fire!)  It was a hit at the Vintage Computer Festival section of the Southern Fried Gaming Expo. 

Edited by Rob Mitchell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 5:55 PM, adamchevy said:

Why do people use PCBS then?

It's just a tidy way to do it, especially if you are making a digital controller which from memory needs more components than an analog one. You don't need to use a PCB, you could use some prototype board, or wire the components directly as Gr8dane said.

You can get PCBs that support analog & digital (& more) from here: http://www.clockworkrobot.com/shop/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...