IGNORED

What A8 game are you playing?

oo7

I'm too A.D.D to just stick with one "currently playing" game at a time. I have about a dozen "every day" titles that slowly change over weeks or months. Donkey Kong, the improved "hack" version of the original, 'Donkey Kong Arcade' is one of them. I think I finished Donkey Kong once...the original cartridge version.

Donkey Kong Arcade.xex

Edited by Gunstar

Was playing Dandy yesterday, really nice gauntlet clone (although I'm sure most people know Dandy), great fun...I keep going back to it..I also love Garrison on the Amiga, another Gauntlet clone..Was out long before we got Gauntlet on the Amiga..

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Gauntlet's a Dandy clone ?

My goodness, you are totally right....Never knew that (obviously)...All this time I thought it was the other way around...Well done Atari computer...

Thank you M...

Edited by Mclaneinc

I love Donkey Kong.  The other game I was recently introduced to, was disco pop.

The last time I sat down to "find a good game" - Dr. Mario stood out, it was quite fun.

I suppose if I count games I was looking at for porting, I was playing a dice game "pig", I wrote a quick Atari basic port of "Poison".  Well I didn't actually port it from anything,  I just based the game on the description, I think I found in creative computing.  They used to describe irl games as ideas, without providing the code, which was kind of a cool idea.    Poison is a learning game that teaches "unfairness"...not entertaining at all, of course.

1 hour ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Bosconian.  So fun.

Quick question.  How does one finish Donkey Kong?  Doesn't it just continue to loop through the levels until you lose?

I'm probably missing an inside joke here.

AFAIK Donkey Kong is a lifelong addiction.

I'm just joking around, I did a quick google search, and screen 117 is a kill screen, whether because of a bug...they say it is the last screen.  Presumably they are discussing the arcade version.

• Like 2

I also was thinking how could you finish a continuous game..

There's 3 games I rarely play, Galaxians, Pac Man and Donkey Kong, the reason, finding arcade cabinets in every fish and chip shop etc etc back in the day, I got fed up of seeing them...(I was also rubbish at all of them)

Might have a game of spelunker now..

16 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm too A.D.D to just stick with one "currently playing" game at a time. I have about a dozen "every day" titles that slowly change over weeks or months. Donkey Kong, the improved "hack" version of the original, 'Donkey Kong Arcade' is one of them. I think I finished Donkey Kong once...the original cartridge version.

Donkey Kong Arcade.xex 21.05 kB · 7 downloads

They should have given him grey fur. ;)

I guess i should of been more clear lol I play many games at a time as well but tend to pick the odd title and focus on beating it the odd time. Ive been told the a8 one has a kill screen I dont recall ever making it that is what I plan to accomplish lol

When I said I'd "finished" Donkey Kong, I personally meant I'd made it through all the screens/levels, that's what I consider as finishing it because I've seen it all. I assumed that's what @oo7 meant as well. The only games I consider "unfinishable" are the early arcade games like Space Invaders, Galaxian, Asteroids, etc. since there is no additional screens. I consider Pac-man "unfinishable" for the same reason, but Ms. Pac-man has different mazes so I'd consider myself "finishing" it if I made it through all the different mazes until they repeat. Get it?

Edited by Gunstar

6 minutes ago, adam242 said:

Been playing through some excellent new releases.. Laura (wonderful action/ puzzler), ADAM is me (completely next-level puzzler!), and Albert (fun, colorful platformer).

Omg just looked up albert... wow. Crazy

• 1 year later...

@rdefabriI am planning on tackling RGB too. I had a quick play earlier this year but hadn't really read the rules of play which is rather important! (Too stoopid to figure it out on my own heh heh!):lol:

It looks like a very challenging and fun game and as a bonus the graphics and colour it's creators have managed to pull into it is fantastic. (I'd love to see more A8 platform games adopt these very technique's to pull these colours into their games. (Lemmings revisit anyone? )

ChinnyVision - Episode 25 - RGB - A New Game For The Atari XL/XE - YouTube    

My rather poor memory skills means I'll keep having to revisit the rule book for the colour combos. 

Objective Your task is to eliminate all robots in a level by deactivating their RGB components. To deactivate a component, shoot at the robot with a missile that has the colour you want to deactivate. For example, to deactivate a red robot, shoot at him with a red missile; to deactivate a cyan robot, shoot at him with a blue missile and then a green missile (or vice versa); to deactivate a white robot, shoot at him with red, green and blue missiles consecutively in any order. You can change your missiles' colour at the recalibrators or by picking up certain bonuses.

Available colour combinations: Cyan = Blue + Green Magenta = Red + Blue Yellow = Red + Green White = Red + Green + Blue

Manual and game here for anyone who missed this one: 

Other than this I often power up Flob which is an astonishingly good game:

https://bocianu.atari.pl/blog/flob

flob2.png

• Like 1