IGNORED

Fake Picture Label Hunt and Score

atari181

So I thought i might have an un-documented gem in ths lot

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Lot-All-51-Game-Cartridges-Cleaned-Tested-Working-No-Doubles/274709693431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I recieved the games today and 3 of them are obvious reproduction labels, Hunt and score being the worst.  

The seller said he purchased these in an estate sale.  I did notice that he immeadiately listed another lot with another hut and score in it as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-Lot-All-51-Game-Cartridges-Cleaned-Tested-Working-No-Doubles/274709693431?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I will updates some pictures from my phone in a bit.  I thought I recognized the Ebay name and I think he is an "Atari" guy who is trying to pull one over on people.

I contacted Ebay and asked for a refund/return. 

16160084509592003760964206651653.jpg

16160084777604401377969506898434.jpg

16160084887678132485579233471300.jpg

Edited by atari181
Adding pics
  • Haha 1

I have a FB friend from the AA group the "SWEARS" he had a Hunt & Score Picture Label cart at some point in his collection but can't find or thinks he accidently sold it. He claims it had yellow letters like the Corp Blackjack. 

Like this. He doesn't remember if it was Corp or Inc but he SWEARS he had one. I told him it isn't likely since it's not listed in Phil's variations. 

I made this for him...He said yep it looked just like that. (I made it via the Atari Corp era along with the incorrect controller info they were notorious for.) 

131955269_431508434694957_2954597491843155667_n.jpg

20 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

I would also like to add I am pretty positive that this is the seller that used to sell Activision 2600 carts with brand new labels. 

The sellers name seem familiar also for some reason. 

Also it looks like he has "upped" his repro game. The one you bought the H&S has square corners. The new one looks like he rounded the label corners on the front label.

After I responded to his offer of a $2.60 refund I called his Bullshit and told him he needed to take a full return.  He immediately approved the return.

He obviously knows and is faking labels. Unfortunately, I have to wait 7 days to leave negative feedback, which means some unsuspecting bidders will be bidding on the second lot.

1 minute ago, AtariBrian said:

Not unless other people buy the lots and do the same thing as you... it could get expensive for him returning every single lot to and from the buyer on his expense! ??

I hope so, but, unfortunately, Brian, you as well as I know, not everyone is as keen as you and I.  I would guess that at least half the people would throw it in the collection without a thought.  

8 minutes ago, Ballblaɀer said:

Yes, this seller has done this before. I don't remember what specifically I spotted in the past, but the name rang a bell, and... yep, same person.

Glad you were able to get a return approved.

Nice catch Rob! Both times. LOL. 

3 hours ago, AtariBrian said:

I would also like to add I am pretty positive that this is the seller that used to sell Activision 2600 carts with brand new labels. 

After talking with another member here, yes, he was selling Activision games with perfect labels.   Amazing that he has 100% feedback.  Ebay makes it so hard to give neg feedback.

5 hours ago, atari181 said:

So I thought i might have an un-documented gem in ths lot

16160084887678132485579233471300.jpg

The ampersand is a red flag.

These labels are nice, but veteran 2600 enthusiasts instantly recognize them as fake as shit. Subtle differences give them away--they're too glossy; the text alignment is slightly off and the color is oversaturated on the Defender; title text on Space Invaders should be orange, not red; and by the time Atari switched to picture labels, Hunt & Score had already been renamed Game of Concentration for at least a year.

5 hours ago, groundtrooper said:

I have a FB friend from the AA group the "SWEARS" he had a Hunt & Score Picture Label cart at some point in his collection but can't find or thinks he accidently sold it. He claims it had yellow letters like the Corp Blackjack. 

Like this. He doesn't remember if it was Corp or Inc but he SWEARS he had one. I told him it isn't likely since it's not listed in Phil's variations. 

I made this for him...He said yep it looked just like that. (I made it via the Atari Corp era along with the incorrect controller info they were notorious for.) 

131955269_431508434694957_2954597491843155667_n.jpg

Your friend can swear all he wants, but I'm confident that he is mistaken. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

The ampersand is a red flag.

These labels are nice, but veteran 2600 enthusiasts instantly recognize them as fake as shit. Subtle differences give them away--they're too glossy; the text alignment is slightly off and the color is oversaturated on the Defender; title text on Space Invaders should be orange, not red; and by the time Atari switched to picture labels, Hunt & Score had already been renamed Game of Concentration for at least a year.

?

Not sure this dick needs a list of things to change next time.

• Like 3

I’ve noticed replacement labels being regularly sold lately.  While I understand some wanting to update bad looking labels for their own use, I’m seeing labels like the green label flag capture and the pic Sears Superman.   Basically turning a $5 game into a multi hundred dollar game with a little deception.  

Here's a real Sears Defender cartridge. This is the clearest I could get it. The cartridge was made in May of 1982.

I can't speak for the other games, though in close to 30 years of collecting I've seen enough that it would not surprise me if Space Invaders had red text at some point from either Sears OR Atari.

I've discussed here on the forums how to verify authenticity of Atari and Sears games. The same photo is posted on Facebook. The proof is faint here but you can definitely see it if you blow up the image.

John M.

IMG_20210322_174544571.jpg