IGNORED

Console weird display?

iridude

3 minutes ago, iridude said:

I just got this console and guessing ram issue. This is what it displays without cartridge 

Yes, likely the VRAM causing the problem.  However, this is often simply caused by a poor power supply or a dirty power switch - both common problems with the CV at this age.  Are you able to measure voltages?

Yes, the power supply that came with this for sure bad +5v rail showing only 2V. The one doesn't even power up using that power supply. How to open power supply's? Worth to refurbish them? However, I used a known good power supply and shows this. I haven't opened up yet.

Edited by iridude

6 minutes ago, iridude said:

Yes, the power supply that came with this for sure bad +5v rail showing only 2V. The one doesn't even power up using that power supply. How to open power supply's? Worth to refurbish them? However, I used a known good power supply and shows this. I haven't opened up yet.

The CV power supplies are sealed and have to be cut open if you want to refurbish them.  Also, a large portion of the insides is filled with epoxy.  It is possible to do some refurb on them but a lot of work and not worth it in my opinion.  Even a seemingly good power supply can have voltages dip below acceptable levels when under load so best to open up the CV and measure the voltages with the CV powered on.

That is a bad ram chip on U10, I did the tests and screen shots on this issue for Kamshaft and his excellent website Colecovision Addicts. If you go to the site and look up fixing ram via screen shots you will see the exact same picture you posted under the U10 ram slot(I believe it is the first picture). They sell kits at console5 also to do it yourself. Here is the link to CA. Cheers and good luck! Sorry I should have read the post above more thoroughly before I posted, I see you are already aware of this issue. https://cvaddict.com/article.php?articleid=19

Edited by crisalan44
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crisalan44 said:

That is a bad ram chip on U10, I did the tests and screen shots on this issue for Kamshaft and his excellent website Colecovision Addicts. If you go to the site and look up fixing ram via screen shots you will see the exact same picture you posted under the U10 ram slot(I believe it is the first picture). They sell kits at console5 also to do it yourself. Here is the link to CA. Cheers and good luck! Sorry I should have read the post above more thoroughly before I posted, I see you are already aware of this issue. https://cvaddict.com/article.php?articleid=19

Wow - I must have been asleep under a rock - wasn't aware of Kamshaft's article on this and those are great screenshots.  I do still believe that the voltages should be checked beforehand.  Each VRAM chip will have slightly different voltage tolerances and as such perhaps U10 in this CV is slightly less tolerant than others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

Wow - I must have been asleep under a rock - wasn't aware of Kamshaft's article on this and those are great screenshots.  I do still believe that the voltages should be checked beforehand.  Each VRAM chip will have slightly different voltage tolerances and as such perhaps U10 in this CV is slightly less tolerant than others.

100% agree with your approach!!