IGNORED

Tunnels of Doom TOD on FlashROM99?

bensfg

Hi,

I just picked up a FlashROM99 and have a nanoPEB on the way. I have been trying to find a way to run TOD on the FlashROM99. I found a few BIN files searching forums TOD8.BIN sounded like it should work with some parts of title screen missing?? Anyway, other BIN files are showing up in the list that I got from starter pack downloads but the TOD bin files I put in there do not show up on the FR99 menu list. 

Is it possible to run TOD on FR99? If not, I'll go looking for an original cartridge

Thanks  

Hi,
I just picked up a FlashROM99 and have a nanoPEB on the way. I have been trying to find a way to run TOD on the FlashROM99. I found a few BIN files searching forums TOD8.BIN sounded like it should work with some parts of title screen missing?? Anyway, other BIN files are showing up in the list that I got from starter pack downloads but the TOD bin files I put in there do not show up on the FR99 menu list. 

Is it possible to run TOD on FR99? If not, I'll go looking for an original cartridge

Thanks  
It's a grom game it's probably larger than the 32k ROM in a flash ROM so what you found is probably a truncated version of it.. your best bet is to get a FinalGrom99 or the cart

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Also note, you have to have some kind of storage media to use it as well, since TOD loads the data files into the VDP memory--and you can't do that with the images used by the FR99. It lobs the main program (TOD8.BIN) into the 32K on the cartridge, but you still need to load the data file from somewhere else to actually run the cartridge. What is the size of the TOD8.BIN file? If it is larger than 32K, it may be for the FinalGROM99, not the FlashROM99.

TOD8.BIN 32.0 KB (32,768 bytes)

I have the original tape for TOD, just no cartridge. Also have a digital media player I've rigged up as a tape player that plays the old fax recordings over MP3. 

The nanoPEB will have disk drives to store files.

• Like 1

OK, I know why this one may not be working now. The original upload of the file indicates that even though the file is loaded by the FlashROM99, it isn't executed from there. The FlashROM99 lobs the file into the 32K space of the TI and executes it from there--the 32K in the FlashROM is just a way station for the data on its way to the TI's 32K memory space. As soon as you add 32K to your TI, this file should work fine (and the NanoPEB will give you that 32K and the capability to load your data files from disk). The other option is to snag a TOD cartridge and run it like you would have BITD.

26 minutes ago, bensfg said:

TOD8.BIN 32.0 KB (32,768 bytes)

I have the original tape for TOD, just no cartridge. Also have a digital media player I've rigged up as a tape player that plays the old fax recordings over MP3. 

The nanoPEB will have disk drives to store files.

I didn't know this ran from tape - so cool. 

5 minutes ago, tuf said:

I didn't know this ran from tape - so cool. 

Note: the data files are loaded from Tape or Disk, the program itself had to be in a cartridge BITD. Later GRAM or 32K loader programs could execute the main program without the physical cartridge--but the data files are always loaded separately. TI only produced two data files for it (Quest for the King and Pennies and Prizes), but there are somewhere in the vicinity of 100 fan-produced data files in circulation.

5 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Note: the data files are loaded from Tape or Disk, the program itself had to be in a cartridge BITD. Later GRAM or 32K loader programs could execute the main program without the physical cartridge--but the data files are always loaded separately. TI only produced two data files for it (Quest for the King and Pennies and Prizes), but there are somewhere in the vicinity of 100 fan-produced data files in circulation.

I have a certain nostalgia for tape games - I didn't have TOD back in the day but it would have been glorious on tape.  Even more glorious on disk of course, but still - pretty cool.

The strange thing is I have put many files on the flashROM99 that require 32K ram. If I try to run them they either lock up or a message on the screen says 32K RAM REQUIRED. The TOD files I've tried do not show up on the list at all. I'm not sure how that works.

Maybe I should try another SD card..... or it might POP up when I get the nanoPEB (hopefully soon)

The strange thing is I have put many files on the flashROM99 that require 32K ram. If I try to run them they either lock up or a message on the screen says 32K RAM REQUIRED. The TOD files I've tried do not show up on the list at all. I'm not sure how that works.

Maybe I should try another SD card..... or it might POP up when I get the nanoPEB (hopefully soon)

Yeah you need 32k to run any grom cart with flashrom99. I have them in stock at arcadeshopper.com

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk