IGNORED

Getting my 2600 to work on HDMI TV

JJohnson

Hi all, A question...Does this mod (analog RF to HDMI) converter work with a Atari 8 bit computers??
I have a 400 and an 800xl but do not have any mods for video and only have LED type monitors/TVs, so I was thinking this would get me going. so I can check them out before I buy any video stuff. I also have a 2600 and need to replace the "RF" cord before I can try it on it.

I was thinking it would but I did not see that in the comments here, Yes I know this is a 2600 blog.

Tks
Peter

Thanks for the input. I did send away(ebay) for the unit and the adapters. AS always wait until the seller goes to the post office then wait for the post man/woman to bring it by..

Looks like about 1-2 weeks... Also the unit is in China so a couple more weeks to get here..

O well Its fun to wail??????

Peter

• Like 1

OK all, found out why the RCA cable to a TV would not work.. I took off the cover of the 400 and found that sometime back in the 80's I must have updated the video output and the RCA cable is for VIDEO.  So now I have a RF converter coming that I do not need.. That will teach me to jump before I look...I also found a memory upgrade to 64k that I did not know about also...Like I said LOOK before you JUMP.LOL.. Now I have to find the software to control the memory I found..

Peter

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 8:22 PM, BIGHMW said:

You might want to give the RF-to-HDMI demodulator I highly recommend in the video down below a try. That and the RCA jack-to-PAL-plug also mentioned are all you need other than that. BTW, the video also serves as a tutorial on how to use it, once you switch the display from Chinese to English it's so much more simple once you do that, so watch the video and read the description on it to learn how to buy one as well as that much-needed plug adapter you'll need for it. I hope it'll work for you as well as it has for me and my 4 Atari systems. :) 

Thank you so much for posting this. I Bought the RF to HDMI box a WHILE back and didn't see the link for the pal connector. Been trying to figure out A) Where I found the box originally and B) What the heck the connector was. Just ordered it off ebay from your link and should be able to put my RF box to good use soon. THank you again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thatsabigpanda said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I Bought the RF to HDMI box a WHILE back and didn't see the link for the pal connector. Been trying to figure out A) Where I found the box originally and B) What the heck the connector was. Just ordered it off ebay from your link and should be able to put my RF box to good use soon. THank you again!

You bet! Thanks! Let me know how she works with your system, then recommend it to a few friends for their classic consoles!!! :) 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, BIGHMW said:

You bet! Thanks! Let me know how she works with your system, then recommend it to a few friends for their classic consoles!!! :) 

YOOOO I Tried it last night. It worked a TREAT. I am so excited for this. The video helped a lot too. (Knowing which sound to use etc). I have a retron77 that I was using for a while but there is nothing... NOTHING like using the real hardware! Thanks again! \M/ \M/

• Like 1

I modded a few systems and never liked the result that much. My 2600 Jr. Outputs a very nice signal with just RF, so I left it as is and made it my main system. My advice for a really clean picture is simple and cheap (possibly free, depending on how many cables you have stashed away) Find a cable of some sort that has a ferrite core. Old Sony USB cables had nice ones that clamp on. Place the core about 3 or 4 inches from the Atari end of your coax/rca cable. That should clear up any interference getting sent down the cable. Also, just for reference, I play on rather new flat screen Tvs  (both Vizio TVs), with no issues. Properly adjusting the TV's color settings makes a huge improvement also. If you can't salvage the ferrite core from an old cable, they can be bought online or at some electrical component stores.

12 hours ago, thatsabigpanda said:

YOOOO I Tried it last night. It worked a TREAT. I am so excited for this. The video helped a lot too. (Knowing which sound to use etc). I have a retron77 that I was using for a while but there is nothing... NOTHING like using the real hardware! Thanks again! \M/ \M/

I'm glad she worked out for you, enjoy!!! :)  ....and THANKS for the compliments on my clip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 3:21 PM, JJohnson said:

Clearest picture you've ever seen!

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my Atari JR and the Sears Tele-Games 2600 to work on my TV and it's not working.  Both have the power converter, the 2600 retro converter that is new (less than 1 year old).  So I then tried with just an RCA to COAX converter and got the attached video signal from both.

My question is, do I need a new Atari 2600?  Or just a new TV converter, like this?  I just want to get a clear signal to the TV.

Thanks for your suggestions!

James

20210318_153414.jpg

20210318_153040.jpg

20210318_152754.jpg