IGNORED

Games that are Fun for the 2600

JJohnson

I'm just wondering which games folks find the funnest to play on the 2600 or are 'classic' or 'iconic.'

So far I have:

21 Video Olympics

Asteroids

Astroblast

Basketball

Berzerk

Bowling

Combat (a version with a silver outline and one without)

Defender

Football

Galaxian

Mario Bros

Ms. Pac-Man

Pac-Man

Phoenix

Pitfall

Pole Position

Space Invaders

Spider-Man

Star Raiders

Street Racer

Super Breakout

Target Fun

Video Olympics

I think Donkey Kong, Frogger, Galaga/on, Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede should be on my list for sure.  Any others?

Edited by JJohnson

Most fun on the 2600 (rather than another system)

Space Invaders: better than the arcade. Lots of variations. Invisible Vaders with zigzag bombs is good.

Combat: Better than the arcade(s): Lots of variations. Invisible Tank Pong one of the best.

Pitfall!, H.E.R.O., Mountain King, River Raid:  I prefer these versions to the Atari800 versions. Probably the best versions if you dint count Hacks (Pitfall!x256)

Indy 500: VCS exclusive. Only non-homebrew Driving Controller game.

Millipede: is an excellent version of the game. I think I prefer the Atari 800 version, but the VCS version is very nice.

Frogger (Starpath): An excellent port for the VCS.

Warlords: Exclusive to VCS and arcade I think.

Medieval Mayhem: better warlords.

Adventure: Iconic, (and exclusive? ). There are similar games like Quest for the Holy Grail on Atari 800, but the ducks are charming.

Demon Attack, Megamania: Fast paced dual-direction shooters.

Atlantis: Bettter than other ports?

Year's Revenge: iconic and exclusive. 

Kaboom, Stampede, (probably almost every Activision release): Were some of the best games for the system, and probably were created first on VCS before porting to other systems, so likely the best versions.

I can second Suoer Breakout (exclusive?), and Astroblast (better than Intellivision).

Can probably think of more, but those are off the top of my head.

Asteroids  Space Rocks: 2600 exclusive.  Best Asteroids like game on VCS.

Mario Bros. : Better on Atari 800 and NES.

Ms. Pac-man: The Megadrive/Genesis version is better. Pretty sure there are other better ports of this game on platforms from the same era.

Pac-man: No, just no. The @DEBRO 4k version, or @DINTAR816 4k/8k versions are better a d are on the VCS. The Atari 800 version is also a good port again.

Pole Position: Better on Atari 800, but not sure it is the best port. I miss the arcade driving wheel.

Star Raiders: The Atari 800 version is iconic, this version, not so much (it is missing too much).

Donkey Kong: The Atari 800 version is better than the arcade. The VCS version is not. 

• Like 1

For personal favourites, I would say the shortlist would be: Haunted House, River Raid, Missile Command and Stampede.

For iconic I would have to say Yars' Revenge is probably the most iconic 2600 title, and perhaps Pac-man (for all the wrong reasons; but still iconic).

16 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Pitfall!, H.E.R.O., Mountain King, River Raid:  I prefer these versions to the Atari800 versions.

Curious why you would say 2600 Mountain King is better than the 800 version? That's an interesting thought.

10 minutes ago, cjherr said:

Curious why you would say 2600 Mountain King is better than the 800 version? That's an interesting thought.

The 2600 version does have the flying and secret platforms "glitch"..    but apart from that I much prefer the 800 version

I'd recommend...

Beamrider - my all-time favorite game

Enduro

Demon Attack

Space Attack - highly underrated, make sure you read the instructions

There are also a bunch of incredible games in the AA store. Galagon is amazing as are a bunch of others.

38 minutes ago, zzip said:

The 2600 version does have the flying and secret platforms "glitch"..    but apart from that I much prefer the 800 version

Not the glitch per se, but I prefer the super double jump in the 2600 version. Which may itself be a glitch, and not intentional gameplay, sort of like the infinite Pole Vault glitch in Decathlon. 

1 hour ago, zzip said:

How so?   I like the 8-bit version, but I don't think any home version beats the arcade.

It probably doesn't, few games do (Soul Calibur DC). I seem to remember the a800 version having more difficulty on the harder settings, with more diagonal barrels being thrown than the arcade (not that I was ever good enough at the arcade version). The graphics were  better in the Arcade (or Colecovision, NES), but I probably played the a800 version too much to make a fair comparison. 

I withdraw my better than arcade comment, but certainly the 2600 isn't the funniest to play port.

Edited by CapitanClassic

43 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

Not the glitch per se, but I prefer the super double jump in the 2600 version. Which may itself be a glitch, and not intentional gameplay, sort of like the infinite Pole Vault glitch in Decathlon. 

Yeah that's what I meant by the flying glitch.  It definitely adds an element of fun,  if you time the second jump right, you can jump up the side of the mountain peak all the way to the flame.    But I don't think they meant it to work that way since none of the other versions of the game allow that

6 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Moon Patrol is a must have. Frostbite is another great game that hasn't been mentioned yet.

But Moon Patrol on the Atari 800 is far better. This is a list of 2600 games that are the most fun to play versus ports of the same game on other systems.

since the 2600 is usually so under powered compared to many other systems of the time period, I would expect the list to mostly be full of 2600 exclusives, or at least games that were designed for the 2600 first and later ported to other systems (I would expect the originals to play to the VCS’s strengths, so the ports would likely not be much better)

17 minutes ago, CapitanClassic said:

This is a list of 2600 games that are the most fun to play versus ports of the same game on other systems.

Is that what the OP meant, or did they mean the most fun games on the 2600?

I haven't played the 800 version of Moon Patrol, but I've played the 5200 version and I'd argue the 2600 version is just as fun, even if it doesn't look as nice.

3 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Is that what the OP meant, or did they mean the most fun games on the 2600?

I haven't played the 800 version of Moon Patrol, but I've played the 5200 version and I'd argue the 2600 version is just as fun, even if it doesn't look as nice.

Yeah, now that I read it again, I misunderstood. The OP likely was asking for the best (iconic/classic) games for the 2600. With that in mind, you could pretty much just look at the best selling games, then games with the most notoriety (Custard’s Revenge, Pac-man, E.T.) 

which games folks find the funnest to play on the 2600 or are 'classic' or 'iconic.'

On 3/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, cvga said:

I'd recommend...

Beamrider - my all-time favorite game

Enduro

Demon Attack

Space Attack - highly underrated, make sure you read the instructions

There are also a bunch of incredible games in the AA store. Galagon is amazing as are a bunch of others.

Speaking of the AA Store, I see lots of games in there, which is awesome.  My question on that is, which ones of those are remakes of the 2600 originals that are 'better' versions of them, like Pac-Man 8K vs. the original Pac-Man 2600?  Is there a Centipede/Millipede that uses trackball, or a better Ms Pac-Man perhaps?  Defender, Galaga, Galaxian, Space Invaders, Berzerk, etc.?  The games on that list are the games I remember most for Atari, and while I am working on building out my 2600 collection with the originals that work, I am not averse to modern improvements of the originals.

And thank you, and to everyone else for giving me some fun games on the Atari 2600.

How about some games that are not iconic?  These are all fun, all either exclusive to the 2600 or are the only home console versions, and last I knew none of them were too tough to acquire:

Stampede - Wrangle and rope the cows.  No 2600 collection should be without it.

Dolphin - Audio dependent, fast arcade game.  Unique and fun.

Pressure Cooker - Not the only good hamburger based retro game, but very good.

Frostbite - Frogger and Q*Bert cross pollenation.

Krull - Peak 80s kitsch with a high learning curve.  Worth the effort.

Midnight Magic - Pinball.  Best on the system.

Phoenix - A little easy, but can be more fun than the arcade.

Taz - Get good stuff.  Avoid the bad.  One can play for hours.

Gremlins - Alternating Kaboom with Space Invaders.  Based on the smash hit movie!

Demons to Diamonds - Paddle based shooter with some strategic elements.

Fantastic Voyage - Looks lame at first blush, but learn to play and it's a great movie game.

M*A*S*H - Bumper cars and then Operation.  Quality.

Mega Force - Action and strategy.  Good graphics.  Better than the movie.

Porky's - Probably just me, but I get a kick out of this.  Also better than the movie.

Sky Skipper - As an arcade port, it's pathetic.  As a 2600 game, it's a very good blend of reflexes and steategy.

Thunderground - Dig Dug with tanks.

Gopher - Simple, but cute characters and fun gameplay.

M.A.D. - AA gun game.  Many like it, but this is the best on 2600.  Better than Atlantis.

Frankenstein's Monster - Great graphics for the time, atmospheric multi-screen action game.

Ghost Manor - Spooky ghost-y game with variety and selectable characters.

These would give you a great collection of fun games that will make the 2600 a distinct system to have.  Good luck

I think most of my favorite games have been mentioned, but:

I am not sure you can get it on an actual 2600 cart, but one of my favorite 2600 games is Aquaventure. It has been released on various compilations, but at least you should be able to put it on an SD cart.

Activision games are almost all so good. To single out two that haven’t been mentioned: Robot Tank is an amazing Battlezone clone, and Laser Blast is almost too easy when you get the rhythm down, but I love playing the alien invader for once.

The Intellivision versions are miles better, but I still like the two Tron games for the 2600.

I really love Popeye - of all the Nintendo arcade conversions, that one is heads and shoulders my favorite.

57 minutes ago, keithbk said:

Am I the only one that hates Berzerk?

Yes, the graphics are good. But it's not a real maze! You exit one way, and you cannot go back! It's a CHEAT!

For this reason alone, I prefer Berzerk on the Atari 5200.

Yes. Quite clearly there is something wrong with you. Berzerk is a metaphor for life man. Every step is a one way ticket closer to death. There's no going back. The maze is unsolvable. Like life. All that matters is your score at the end. You dig? ?

This post courtesy of me listening to a band from the early 70's called Pluto. ?

• Like 1

X Man, 'wiggle your joystick as fast as possible' type game, but keep the rhythm steady. Also, a great maze section.

Boing!, a great Q-Bert type game.

Rabbit Transit, a nice multi screen action fun game, also, Springer is good game.

Master Builder, I like this game, build buildings, great enemies, played it for hours

Spike's Peak, mountain climbing, keeps you happy for hours

14 hours ago, keithbk said:

Am I the only one that hates Berzerk?

Yes, the graphics are good. But it's not a real maze! You exit one way, and you cannot go back! It's a CHEAT!

For Frantic I'm generating the walls similar to how the arcade does by using the room's coordinates as the seed value for drawing the walls. This makes it so you can return to a specific room, such as exiting a sequence of rooms by going up, left, down, right. Here's an early blog entry about the walls, another early entry about the Frenzy variation.

Title screen. The first option, showing example rooms, picks between Berzerk(left) and Frenzy(right) variations.

frantic_20200828.png.c2a5bb124e8326efbc289601b636f795.png

random starting room

frantic_20200828_1.png.24c7eb8536b46f1fbd7f5e9a5db22067.png

exited by going up

frantic_20200828_2.png.a1e58a0b4d1c26ae5b616a3209b9829d.png

exited by going left

frantic_20200828_3.png.8947e7584007af626543571206453ffe.png

exited by going down

frantic_20200828_4.png.f44b1a86b39ecc11d6622aab87cd9bf0.png

exited by going right, back to the starting room

frantic_20200828_5.png.8d9f4ce4b5b97b7946e5e9dd7101360c.png

• Like 3