IGNORED

John Mathieson-autographed SkunkBoard to Support Curt Vendel's Family

cubanismo

As most everyone here is aware, Curt Vendel, founder of the Atari History museum and giant of computer history, passed last year. I won't try to expound on Curt's many accomplishments here. So many others have done that much better than I ever could. Just have yourself a quick Google if you're curious. I didn't know Curt personally, but his work has made much of the joy I get out of tinkering with Atari stuff possible, so I felt the need to honor him somehow.

To that end, a friend of Curt's family has set up a GoFundMe in his memorial:

Curt Vendel Memorial Fund - Madison’s Education

And I'd like to promote it and contribute through an auction of a very special item. I have started an eBay auction for the following:

• The very first Rev.5 SkunkBoard ever built. This is the first prototype board I assembled. It is fully functional and equivalent to the final boards except a few minor layout differences (It won't fit in a standard cartridge case even if the side USB connectors are removed, for example) and using ENIG rather than electrolytic gold connector, making it a bit less durable. This board is special to me for sentimental reasons, as it's the first PCB I ever designed and manufactured, but I'm willing to part with it for this cause. I've hand-labeled it with its serial number.
  • All the other extra items that I'm shipping with my regular SkunkBoard: Collector's edition offerings: A custom-designed box, a rewritten printed manual, and a USB stick with all the source material and drivers needed to use or even recreate a Rev.5 SkunkBoard from scratch.
  • I've saved the best part for last: The box AND manual are personally autographed by John Mathieson, designer of the Atari Jaguar. John was eager to help when I let him know what I was planning, and has included a brief personal note inside the back of the manual as well, the contents of which will only be known to him, myself, and the winner of the auction.
  • To keep it all safe, I'll throw in a brand new plastic game box protector.

If you're interested in purchasing this item, you can bid on it on eBay here:

SkunkBoard v.5 Collector's Edition Autographed by John Mathieson

If you're not but know someone else who might be, please direct them here or to the above auction. I'm not on social media for instance, so if you are, please help out by linking to this thread or the above auction in a tweet/post/etc. in any Atari-heavy communities you're a member of. I'll be contributing the entire proceeds of the auction to Curt's Memorial Fund, covering all related fees and expenses myself out of pocket. If you're not interested in the SkunkBoard, but still want to help out, please contribute directly to the GoFundMe at the link above.

Some pictures of the goods:

skunk_jm1.thumb.jpg.44d466412e5e52b3a1369b04a141aa4b.jpg

skunk_jm2.thumb.jpg.19f6c7a728817b603fe9e8febbfaacdd.jpg

skunk_jm3.thumb.jpg.9f5be43de07520e1921099e61a508a0d.jpg

skunk_jm4.thumb.jpg.74686278345dd141d81ee55a367ded83.jpg

skunk_jm5.thumb.jpg.5ee0a1cd7cd354f10d8b6f14b3b26a36.jpg

skunk_jm6.thumb.jpg.b39509fa0e9516248ae72f19dd1ea017.jpg

skunk_jm7.thumb.jpg.0375faef85da1dc5c1e96b88fd0de771.jpg

skunk_jm8.thumb.jpg.a06cc7e7ebcf6f3faafe2859b3433544.jpg

skunk_jm9.thumb.jpg.5c716367cce7177eac0721c7d4217049.jpg

skunk_jm10.thumb.jpg.5a426041a61761786c6ccbd478c9eaeb.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

OK folks, the auction will go live on eBay at 9:00PM Pacific Daylight Time (About 1 hour from now) and will last 7 days. I'll edit the first post in the thread with a link shortly after. If you're a true collector, get ready to open up those wallets and go big for Curt and his family! If not, please help spread the word and consider contributing directly to the GoFundMe here:

Curt Vendel Memorial Fund - Madison’s Education

I haven't seen any new contributions since I announced this effort, so I assume you've all already contributed or are keeping your powder dry for bidding ;-) To the rest, think about how much Curt gave to the community, and how hard it is for a family to lose its father. Let's show them how generous the storied Jaguar community can be!

• Like 3

The winning bid was $310.77. Thank you so much to everyone who bid. In addition, I've chosen to match the winning bid dollar for dollar for an overall contribution of $622. I generally donate anonymously to avoid the guilt of indulging my own vanity, but since this was already public by its nature, I'm hoping this example will encourage others to contribute a little more as well, even if they've already made a contribution before. One more time, here's the link:

Curt Vendel Memorial Fund - Madison's Education

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

The winning bid was $310.77. Thank you so much to everyone who bid. In addition, I've chosen to match the winning bid dollar for dollar for an overall contribution of $622. I generally donate anonymously to avoid the guilt of indulging my own vanity, but since this was already public by its nature, I'm hoping this example will encourage others to contribute a little more as well, even if they've already made a contribution before. One more time, here's the link:

Curt Vendel Memorial Fund - Madison's Education

You are a class act! This is just one reason I love this community!  Outstanding, you are amazing!

• Like 1