IGNORED

FoReM XEP

moonlight_mile

Well I made a little progress with XEPro.  I got it to boot up on real hardware to the point where the status window comes up.

However, it appears the Initialize BBS routine has an issue.  It doesn't write anything to the disk, be it real disk, sd card, or emulator.  I think if we can get this to possibly init the bbs we can take another step on getting it to run on real and emulated hardware.

What I did to get it to run on real hardware: I deleted the autorun.sys (actually I just renamed it). and created a startup.bat file that loads the RHND850.Com from the modem programs disk, then loads the Amp850.com (I don't know if this is necessary but I did it anyway), then load in the zhand.com, finally drop to Car and Run d1:start.

from here the bbs will start until looks for the message bases and config.dat which are supposed to be written from the InitBBS program.  But isn't.

None of my disks were write protected or anything.  Obviously, I didn't get it running on atarimac x due to the r:handler issue.  I am not sure what we can do about that, but first and foremost I am trying to run it on real hardware.  Here is the atr I have been working with.  See if anyone has any clue what the problem with initbbs program.

-craig

I have two atrs. I don't know which is which so I just uploaded them both.

XEP disks 1-3BBS.atr XEP disks 1-3BBS copy.atr

These are necessary to run FXEP

Working R: handler

AMP850 - AMP9600 for MIO etc.. Modem Processor, like MOE for Carina

ZHAND - Time Handler

HYPER_E2 - screen accelerator If you plan on 9600 baud

START menu for initial modem init strings.

- past experience tells me AMP needs these strings to work properly.

I went thru your ATR. There are 2 problems.

You need those files above to load first in a batch or manually if you prefer. Never ran into a load order issue.

Second you are missing the BASES sub directory. InitBBS will not complete without it, and will not create it for you.

There are som eedits you will need toi make to the ForemXE file. One i made was allowing you to decide where the user log goes, file or printer. There are others to edit, also in the 30000's i think there is a nightly BACKUP that writes to D3 you may want to change.

Here is a working image you provided with startup bat.I also went to Sparta 3.2d, your version may work fine.. I just know 3,2d works.. Works on Altirra

XEP disks 1-3BBS.atr

Edited by Triads

I used the R: handler supplied with the ATR, which was created by Phaeron. RS232.COM is on the ATR as well. I figure Phaeron's has a high compatibility, but try RS232 in DOS..

Also, are you running this in emulation or real hardware? If emulation, assuming Altirra, make sure you have an 850 & modem attached to it in Devices.

15 minutes ago, Triads said:

I used the R: handler supplied with the ATR, which was created by Phaeron. RS232.COM is on the ATR as well. I figure Phaeron's has a high compatibility, but try RS232 in DOS..

Also, are you running this in emulation or real hardware? If emulation, assuming Altirra, make sure you have an 850 & modem attached to it in Devices.

I'm running Atari800MacX emulation (v6.0.0) same as @moonlight_mile.  And I'm using Basic XE 4.1 cart image.

I didn't make any changes to the startup.bat file.  I just let it boot up.

Thanks for the help and info. I was referring to one of the included docs for installation. I must have missed the bases subdir 

I didn’t really work too far with the Mac emulator. Yesterday when I popped it in atarimacx right before I uploaded it here, i got the same problem. I am not sure what r: handler to use.  It seems like the phorem autorun.sys will get the r: handler working but that one doesn’t seems to be 100% compat with forem xep. 

I just re-installed Atarimacx for the first time in years so I am still trying to get my bearings with it. So I am not 100% sure how the r: works in atarimacx vs Altirra. 

Oh also I had a hell of a time to get the image to run smoothly from my Sd card in fujinet. It kept stalling and I had to move it over to my sio2sd to boot it smoothly. 

I have the sio speed set to 9 which is the slowest. Does anyone know why Spartados has this issue?  Similar thing happens when I try to run the bobterm image using spartados. In order to get it to continue I need to hit the break key every time it stalls. 

Ha. I think I may have figured out the stalling. Seems like it might be the key buffer. When I set that to off I don’t seem to have any stalling. Now I haven’t tested it beyond FoReM image but it seems to be working. 

On Sparta 3.2d is there a way to turn the key off before anything else starts? 

Also, I have both an side2 and 3 cart. Haven’t been doing too much with them but I was having a hell of a time with fujinet and the carts. 

I followed the video and threads on how to get to the fuji after spdx boots but I kept getting errors. Which I found odd since I was able to accomplish this before. I tried changing the config option back to boot config all the time on the web setting and it started working again. Now maybe I can really play around with my side carts. 

I apologize if this was common knowledge I just discovered it. 

I am grasping at straws here. But I sent the developer of atariMacx and email to see if there is a stand alone version of the r: handler for atariMacx. I was wondering if by loading that separately (like the rhnd850 from Altirra) might help. I am sure it won’t but just a theory I had. I did look in the app package contents, I didn’t see any Sep file for any type of handlers so I am sure they are implemented into the code. 

3 hours ago, Triads said:

I only used 3.2d because thats what i was used to.. 3.3a/b/c may work better, i dont know. I do know 2.3 and High speed on Fujinet dont play nice.

Spartados 3.2f and 3.2g are pretty much the samething as 3.2d except the TDLINE/RTime8 support has Y2K fixes. I prefer using one of these.

-JP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, rickcollette said:

I've had a weird fascination for FoReM forever. I ran a modded on from my mpp 1000E when that was new.

Using @Triads mod of the FoReM XEP ATR in Altirra for testing, setup, config, etc - and then I'll try moving over to a hardware atari.

thanks guys!! this is awesome.

You should check out AMIS XE created by @Amis. You can run it on either Altirra or real hardware. You can see it in action at amis86.ddns.net:9000.

-JP

Glad to support running another Amis XE bbs. Versions working on Emulator and Real Hardware as JP mentioned as well as wimodem232, FujiNet, or dial up.. Its been a real blast brining AMIS back to life along with all the necessary functions and improvements. Very lightweight, fast, and stable. Some features:

Sysop control panel with split screen file, time on, user information, etc, remote sysop login utilities

Sparta-Dos based note/point expanded message base with reply feature, email and high message counter. 100 Messages capabiity

Up/Down loads perfected for SyncTerm, Wimodem, FujiNet 

User Id and Password with utilities, member listings, standard security features

Sub-Menus and Extra features offer main menu

Log-In Controls for Bot protection

Re-worked all XIO for modem polling, 300-9600 baud, connection status reset - Currently Amis XE has been running for 3 months with no crashes or need to reset

Standard Clock, TOUT reset, and access level controls 

Graffiti Wall, Message of the Day, Sysop Status, User Logs, system status, random quotes, sysop email, voting booth, etc..

Simplified code, memory optimized for basic XE, buffer  improvements 

Screen Driver for sysop / user, same view during active user use

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, moonlight_mile said:

I am grasping at straws here. But I sent the developer of atariMacx and email to see if there is a stand alone version of the r: handler for atariMacx. I was wondering if by loading that separately (like the rhnd850 from Altirra) might help. I am sure it won’t but just a theory I had. I did look in the app package contents, I didn’t see any Sep file for any type of handlers so I am sure they are implemented into the code. 

Did you ever get a response?