IGNORED

Odyssey 2 manual scans

Kirkland

18 hours ago, bah said:

BTW, Nimble Number Ned was a players manual only.  Ripped pages, rusted and pulled through staples.  I think I need to print this version and replace the original.  Very nice job Kirkland.

Trust me, I growled a bit when I first popped the first few pages into Photoshop, then I mumbled, "something about a gift horse" and got to work. ;)

Okay, so I know a bunch of you are just along for the ride (and manuals), but my angle is the preservation side of things.  Now of course that makes for some ridiculously large filesizes, so just so you know the editing is all done at 600-1600 dpi before being resized down to manageable chunks.  I like 48bit RAWs at 800dpi, but in the case of Computer Intro I take resolution over color depth and went with 24bit@1600dpi.

http://www.atensionspan.com/Computer Intro_013.jpg

Crazy, right?

Anyways, up next is Smithereens! (compliments of Pickaxe Brad), since this Computer Intro manual is kicking my ass.

Question for people with Computer Intro-

I currently plan on putting the gatefold sheets (foldouts front and back of manual, and the goofy Glossary pages) right into the pdf manual where they are.  Should I also put them in a separate, printable pdf set so they can be the "handy reference" it's supposed to be?

Smithereens!.pdf

Filesize shouldn't be an issue these days. Not in the days of 14,000,000,000,000 byte HDDs and more - costing $200 or less.

I've seen 40MB scans of entire magazines, like Creative Computing. And they are essentially unreadable. Way way overcompressed. And these do a disservice to the community as they discourage anyone from making proper scans. Because, well, they're already done! Same thing with incomplete and partial (on purpose) scans.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kirkland said:

Question for people with Computer Intro-

I currently plan on putting the gatefold sheets (foldouts front and back of manual, and the goofy Glossary pages) right into the pdf manual where they are.  Should I also put them in a separate, printable pdf set so they can be the "handy reference" it's supposed to be?

How about both? Or default to whatever is aesthetically pleasing?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just going down the rabbit hole of looking for instruction scans. And arrived at the same conclusion —  that they don’t exist. 
Is there anything that I can do to help?

Is there going to be a central place to find/access these?

• Like 1

Still plugging away on these- separating into individual pages at the moment (the slow, tedious portion).  Managed to pick up a 4th(!) scanner so I knocked out ~5000 pages this last week, but now I'm back to the editing stage to take a break- whatever that is.

Still on the lookout for Atlantis, Demon Attack, the Nimble Numbers Ned Math Book, and possibly Power Lords.

Besides these forum pages, I will get them uploaded to my evilbadman.com site (Under Kirkland's Manual Labor-not yet public) when I am closer to completion.

Edited by Kirkland
clarification
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...