IGNORED

A Non-Interactive Title Screen is a Safe Screen

Trebor

...and the undocumented has been documented. Mystery solved!

Some of the chosen allocation is definitely suspect here, including the configuration registers. Generally I'd advise more hesitance when placing things in the lower address space (or just not do it at all) - but at least the manual is thorough enough to know what to avoid and (possibly) emulate the Cuttle Cart II and its quirks later.

• Like 2

Sorry - for some reason I wasn't being alerted to the responses here like the other threads I'm in.

Yep, that seems to have worked.  Regarding the battery, with my *second* unit that I just modded I had to re-do the CCII settings when the menu failed.  But not with the first.  I'm still curious to know why that first unit worked fine after giving it time to warm up.

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm still curious to know why that first unit worked fine after giving it time to warm up.

I think the question can be equally framed as "why didn't the CC2 respond to $800-$FFF after warm-up?" on your first unit.

Best guess is it's along the lines of @tep392's versa problem, with timing of some signal on the device being near some edge case. The warm-up seems to push the unit into not-working side of the edge case.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a sneak peek at some screenshots of the game that plays when no cartridge is inserted.  I'm now at the point that I've run out of room to fit a few more features in, but I'm working on it.

Please remember that this will be an 8K game, so it won't be as 'involved' as some other ones:

KiloParsec_00.png.2c71e7987d6ba5afde3f0e919234c53b.png KiloParsec_01.png.ba06a5e19a45489816b6b39d138e5851.png 

KiloParsec_02.png.f6b799cc4e9b0bb506fcd776e1356941.png KiloParsec_03.png.7fe4bea6f4cee5d80a93015937d5ee30.png

KiloParsec_04.png.8e79533e8337d4ecbfa63255ed606a1d.png KiloParsec_05.png.49e0cca00af6344c8dd95ea66b434711.png

KiloParsec_06.png.af505effb761ded76e20e74cf5c5980f.png KiloParsec_07.png.e45616df1d4e157d4daf052f5b070602.png

Hope this one turns out ok.  I will give it to @ZeroPage Homebrew to review once finished.  It will be exclusive only to this BIOS.

Thanks, guys

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Here's a sneak peek at some screenshots of the game that plays when no cartridge is inserted.  I'm now at the point that I've run out of room to fit a few more features in, but I'm working on it.

Please remember that this will be an 8K game, so it won't be as 'involved' as some other ones:

Hope this one turns out ok.  I will give it to @ZeroPage Homebrew to review once finished.  It will be exclusive only to this BIOS.

Thanks, guys

Looks great @PacManPlus and I can't wait to play it on the ZPH stream! Looks like a really fun port/adaption!

Is there room to use the AtariVox for the voice in the game?

- James

• Thanks 1

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive World Premiere of new 7800 BIOS upgrade game KiloParsec on tomorrow's (Tue Jun 22, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

861427074_20210622-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.631f4e6bc2bea617ced3016ae83197b9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mdoerty said:

Where will we be able to buy this new BIOS?

And will someone be running an installation service for those of us who are technically deficit?

I'm sure I will offer this along with several others. I've done other BIOS swaps on the 7800 in the past (Not this exact one of course), but I would imagine the process will be the same as others. I'm sure @PacManPlus can elaborate on that more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm sure I will offer this along with several others. I've done other BIOS swaps on the 7800 in the past (Not this exact one of course), but I would imagine the process will be the same as others. I'm sure @PacManPlus can elaborate on that more.

My 7800 is in on its way to you.?

• Like 2

To be clear, I can offer the installation but I can't offer making the BIOS ROM chips as I haven't an eprom burner of my own. Just never really had a need for one and I really don't see myself buying one for the few of these that I would likely get tasked with doing.

Assuming the actual installation is about the same, I'm sure this will be a mostly kit parts cost + return shipping type of pricing for most.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

EPROM burner?  

Soldering iron?  

Inability to avoid tinkering with a working system?  

Where do I sign up? :)

Guess well send them all to you then. Again, I've only had need for an eprom burner like 3x ever in the past 20 years so it isn't something I've bothered getting. Having said that, the 3x I needed one I either found someone to burn the chips for me I needed, or was able to borrow a burner long enough for the job I needed it for.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Guess well send them all to you then.

LOL, no. I just muck about in the guts of my own systems or rarely helping out a local retro-pal (pre-COVID). I bought the EPROM burner for the 576NUC+ beta team project, so I could write my own OS EPROMs, MMU and EMMU GAL chips, etc. I have since used it to put Altirra BASIC inside a 600XL and a couple other miscellaneous hobby projects. 

Of which this sounds like a great example. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys:

I'm not sure about how this is going to work out, need to talk with @RevEng to see what he agrees upon.  The BIOS+Game will be open source, but as far as burning EPROMS, I could probably take care of that end of it.

I figured it could be offered as a kit through AA similar to the pause mod kits for the 2600? Al has the ability to make the ROMs provided he has the chips.

Could also perhaps reach out to TBA as they currently make and sell the PAL/NTSC Asteroids BIOS kits now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm not sure about how this is going to work out, need to talk with @RevEng to see what he agrees upon.  The BIOS+Game will be open source, but as far as burning EPROMS, I could probably take care of that end of it.

That would be marvellous. The last time I touched an EPROM burner was about 30 years ago... I just haven't had need for one.

Thanks so much guys - that was fun to watch. :)

Now to figure out:

- Why the cavern closes up (it doesn't in emulation)

- Why the second player starts off in a random wave within the level.

BTW, during the show there seems to be a delay between when I type something and when it appears on screen...  so if I seem to take a long time to reply, that is why. :(

EDIT - Fun fact: If they would have made it through the collapsed cave somehow, the game would have crashed. :ponder:

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Thanks so much guys - that was fun to watch. :)

You're so welcome! KiloParsec was a TON of fun to play and definitely a good challenge, especially on the non-easy setting. Thank you once again for letting us debut it on the show, it's going to be a great 'pack-in' game for the new 7800 BIOS chips!

Now to figure out:

- Why the cavern closes up (it doesn't in emulation)

- Why the second player starts off in a random wave within the level.

If you need further off-line testing let me know, especially if the issue is console revision dependent.

BTW, during the show there seems to be a delay between when I type something and when it appears on screen...  so if I seem to take a long time to reply, that is why. :(

EDIT - Fun fact: If they would have made it through the collapsed cave somehow, the game would have crashed. :ponder:

Uh-oh, guaranteed death no matter how skilled I was!! Hahah.

- James