IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 14 - Game 9 - Centipede

Centipede is a brilliant game and this version is very good. There aren’t enough sprites available in Intellivision to use them for the centipede segments so I’m ok with them being made using background graphics or however they’re made, and not looking spiffy.

D7913ECF-AB1A-4ED2-A1C0-1256A2B04570.jpeg

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

Centipede is a brilliant game and this version is very good. There aren’t enough sprites available in Intellivision to use them for the centipede segments so I’m ok with them being made using background graphics or however they’re made, and not looking spiffy.

D7913ECF-AB1A-4ED2-A1C0-1256A2B04570.jpeg

Ace.... the centipede still requires a HEAD. That’s all I ask!!! (Sprites shmites)...

• Haha 4

Quick Centipede Update (Thru post #55)

102,096 - Spartan

74,107 - Rickster8

65,411 - Wolfy62

62,555 - Lupovax

52,249 - popsicle

50,397 - RogerPoco

49,178 - SBAZ

47,588 - PlayerOne

37,050 - NamcoPlayer

36,667 - CParsley

35,965 - Mangia-Boy

29,010 - Fakecortex

28,484 - Ace24

24,604 - ClassicGMR

16,858 - JBlenkle  

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ace24 said:

The centipede segments are definitely made with sprite objects.  That's why it's disappointing the animation is so choppy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr_me said:

The centipede segments are definitely made with sprite objects.  That's why it's disappointing the animation is so choppy.

It’s done without flickering then. That’s a plus. I’d like to hear an interview with the programmer. Intellivisionaries?

The centipede uses up to five sprite objects, two segments per sprite.  Then there's the spider, your character, and your fire.  That's eight sprite objects, no need to multiplex sprites.

The centipede is eight his res pixels high, stretched double wide.  I think the game would have played better with smaller objects but intellivision programmers have the tendency to cram more pixel detail at the expense of gameplay.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

The centipede uses up to five sprite objects, two segments per sprite.  Then there's the spider, your character, and your fire.  That's eight sprite objects, no need to multiplex sprites.

The centipede is eight his res pixels high, stretched double wide.  I think the game would have played better with smaller objects but intellivision programmers have the tendency to cram more pixel detail at the expense of gameplay.

Good info. Thanks.

Okay, lets start out with this... I didn't own this as a kid, never really was interested in Centipede in the arcades, so yah... But seeing how I CANT improve in Q*Bert which is a shame cause I know I can, and how many points I'd be bleeding in this and that game for any chance of keeping the lead, I had to buckle down and learn a new game.

So where to start, grabbed the Atarisoft manual for this, and was LEFT WITH MORE F'in QUESTIONS after reading that!!! If I'm only got a "Magic Wand" to battle the centipede, why do I explode like a meteorite nailed my butt in outer space when I die??? (for starters)

So next, put a few plays on the Arcade Centipede, just to make sure what I remembered  from almost 40 years ago was true. Yes, the bloody flea isn't supposed to be perpetually divebombing 24x7, especially if you left mushrooms in the play area!!!

So enough of that, back to the INTV... And is it me, but did the game take a pitty break and get easier for a moment like several levels in? Can't be, must be imaging that the Atarisoft spawns of Satan actually had a heart somewhere...

But in the end... not a 1st place score, but hopefully might stop the point bleeding a little...

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 4.36.46 PM.png

• Like 6

Quick Centipede Update (Thru post #79)

139,189 - CParsley

102,695 - Spartan

86,746 - popsicle

74,107 - Rickster8

65,411 - Wolfy62

62,555 - Lupovax

57,147 - Ace24

50,397 - RogerPoco

49,178 - SBAZ