IGNORED

Upgraded 600XL

JGRAHAM2

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Nice - the more I see the 600XL here, the more I am liking the tiny footprint of it.

The 600xl has become my favourite. Wish I could find another at a reasonable price 

2 hours ago, mimo said:

The 600xl has become my favourite. Wish I could find another at a reasonable price 

It's unbelievable how much 600XLs have gone up in price in the last two years!  I got all four of mine previous to 2020 and none of them were more than $75.  The last one was an eBay BIN for $38 in 2019!  ( Admittedly, I did think that one *was* a bit of a steal. :) )  I don't quite know why 600XLs have skyrocketed so much but I'm thinking of doing a RAM upgrade to one of mine and cashing in on it.  

Edited by SS
  • Like 1

Yeah, I got into a debate with someone on the Atari Retro Gamers group on Facebook last night. A user was asking about the fair value for a 600XL with four broken keys and a 1010 recorder. This other user was trying to tell him that they're extremely rare now and most of the ones that we see are coming out of Europe and that his 600XL alone would be worth $200-$250. Insane!

I quickly tried to bring him back to reality and finally had to point out there had been no less than ten U.S. models sell on eBay since mid-December for $102 or less, and that the higher ones were mint units in original box. The most expensive 600XL I could find on recent eBay completed sales was for $197, and it came with a 1050 disk drive, which usually sells for $75-$150 by itself.  I reminded him to look at completed sales, not ridiculous asking prices to try to determine value. Luckily, he did agree in the end, and the user decided to start around $120-$140 for the 600XL with the 1010. Still a little high in my opinion, but much better.

Yours looks very clean and nice. I bought my first ever 600XL back in the fall. It had a missing ANTIC chip a non-functioning keyboard. I installed a new ANTIC and had to swap out one of the 4050 chips. I upgraded it to 64KB, installed a UAV, and swapped the channel selector switch for a monitor port. Even after a thorough cleaning, it still has a flaky keyboard and cleaning only helped marginally. I need to order a couple of replacement keyboard mylars from Best Electronics soon for this one and another with mylar problems. I'd planned to clean and restore this one and then sell it as a winter project, but I have too much into it to recoup my money now. I hadn't planned to make any money on it, but I'm not keen on losing it either, so I think I've added a 600XL to my collection.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SS said:

It's unbelievable how much 600XLs have gone up in price in the last two years!  I got all four of mine previous to 2020 and none of them were more than $75.  The last one was an eBay BIN for $38 in 2019!  ( Admittedly, I did think that one *was* a bit of a steal. :) )  I don't quite know why 600XLs have skyrocketed so much but I'm thinking of doing a RAM upgrade to one of mine and cashing in on it.  

I have 4 of them too. I bought them as untested and had intended on putting a RaspberryPI in one of them, but I’ve been able to fix them or there was nothing wrong with them, so I have 4 working 600XLs. I have upgraded 3 with UAV, one with 64kb RAM, one 576KB and one with U1MB. The last will likely be upgraded to 64KB SRAM and left as it is otherwise. That upgrade is solder-less and easily reversible.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Yeah, I got into a debate with someone on the Atari Retro Gamers group on Facebook last night. A user was asking about the fair value for a 600XL with four broken keys and a 1010 recorder. This other user was trying to tell him that they're extremely rare now and most of the ones that we see are coming out of Europe and that his 600XL alone would be worth $200-$250. Insane!

I saw that conversation too but decided that for my own sanity it was just best to steer clear of it altogether!

21 minutes ago, zzip said:

600XL was my first Atari--  Christmas 83!   But some of the keys developed issues within a year.   Is this a common problem with them?

Not that I'm aware of. The 600xls usually have the better keyboard. At least the 3 that I've had do

On 3/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, JGRAHAM2 said:

What do you think? It has a 576K RAM upgrade. 4 OS ROMs, 8 cartridge ROMs, and UAV.  I am using DIP switches for ROM selection. I have done better with the opening for the monitor jack. I should have taken more pictures before I closed it up.

Very nice/clean install. I can't see clearly from the top-down photos, but are there sockets under the OS/BASIC ROM's, or are the multi-ROM adapters soldered directly to the mobo? If so you must be very confident you'll never need/want to remove them again in the future. It would kind of go against the main theme of detachable wires going on. :D

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

Very nice/clean install. I can't see clearly from the top-down photos, but are there sockets under the OS/BASIC ROM's, or are the multi-ROM adapters soldered directly to the mobo? If so you must be very confident you'll never need/want to remove them again in the future. It would kind of go against the main theme of detachable wires going on. :D

Thanks. Most 600XLs are fully socketed. All 4 of mine are.

• Like 1