IGNORED

Configuring TI-99 and Geneve emulations in MAME

mizapf

3 hours ago, 9640News said:

I just realized it appears MAME is treating the ide as NVRAM which is going to involve a setup disk, versus a binary image in a zip file.  I need to find that disk if someone has a quick pointer to the file(s).

I did not understand what you meant by treating the IDE as NVRAM. There are NVRAM files, but they only concern the buffered clock chips or RAM chips.

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

Under the Geneve Emulation of MAME trying to setup MAME, I am setting up at CRU >1900.  It has to be higher than CRU >1100 with a HFDC in the system or the boot eprom hits an error with 0.98 of the boot eprom.  When I go into GPL, I am selecting ROMPAGE mode.

Within the OSD, I have selected the following options:

IDE CRU BASE                 >1900

Map at Boot Time             SRAM

Card Mode                       TI

RTC Chip                         BQ4847 (ext SRAM)

I am unable to setup anything other than Card Mode with TI and not the Geneve option.  Only RTC BQ4847 finds a RTC chip during the EA#5 IDELOAD program.

I format and initialize the disk and label the disk as IDE1-DRIVE.  Below is supposedly sector 0, however the first 6 bytes are offset from what I would expect.

At this point, when I go back to MDOS mode and map the drive into place, I get a device error.  What I don't know is if the issue is with this sector 0, or the fact I am in "TI" mode for the card.

Any feedback is appreciated.

image.thumb.png.6401b86fa2b184552cc7f93889c231e6.png

Did you already try to configure the IDE drive in the TI-99/4A emulation? I did not thoroughly test it on the Geneve yet.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Seems as if I actually did some tests in the Geneve emulation already. This is a working IDE HD image; I can run it in ROMPAGE mode. Try OLD IDE1.KATALOG and RUN. You have to set "Geneve mode".

geneve.hd 344 kB · 1 download

No luck thus far.  Getting the same issue as before.  Looks like there is a byte offset issue.  With the Geneve emulation, if I change the IDE setting from TI to Geneve, I am unable save a DSR nor find a RTC or write a DSR.

Here is my bat file I am executing: (and yes, I did change your geneve.hd image to ide1.hd)

mame geneve -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot7 hfdc -peb:slot7:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot7:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot7:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot7:hfdc:f4 525dd -peb:slot8 ide -peb:slot8:ide:ata:0 hdd -hard1 Bootdisk1.HD -hard2 Bootdisk2.HD -hard3 ide1.hd -flop1 dsdd1.dsk -flop2 dsdd2.dsk -flop3 dsdd3.dsk -flop4 dsdd4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000 -debug

image.thumb.png.a5417cd147d2416a804a81a55b52ffc2.png

image.thumb.png.bea44793bebec0b70f964c4ed01ab33a.png

image.thumb.png.ef481dca61ff07eba9973c9b16ab75e1.png 

Now changing from TI to Geneve and going to run IDELOAD in Rompage mode on the Geneve.

image.thumb.png.40219b1b50e7e53c2f5daac65717fcbe.png

And then continuing with pressing <ENTER>, I get the next message before it dumps me back to the title screen area.

image.thumb.png.6823b55f71b508acf2b8c5727e8e0776.png

image.thumb.png.1a5e352adc540d03eb4926ccfb3d3f53.png

image.thumb.png.8d8724a5ed31c3ade54cba38ef91bd1d.png

If there is something you see off, please let me know.

Beery

Beery, I'm getting the IDE alright here. I am using DU2k v2.1 in ROMPAGE mode, loaded from HFDC (WDS1) in E/A opt 5. I am running GeneveOS 6.5.

@InsaneMultitaskerThe "Card mode" switch handles both SW2 (byte order) and SW1 (address width).

0037.png

Note that this is in Card Mode = Geneve.

Edited by mizapf

OK, I fixed it by redoing the IDELOAD via E/A5. Now the IDE drive is back again. DIP/Configuration is CRU>1900, Map SRAM, Card mode Geneve, Genmod decoding off, RTC chip BQ4847 (ext SRAM). You must use ROMPAGE, but that is clear, I suppose. The clock chip is detected by IDELOAD.

./mame geneve -cfg_directory cfgide -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot7 ide -hard1 disks/hd/ide/newide1.hd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard2 disks/hd/maindisk.hd

I had to install a DSR folder on the HFDC hard drive because IDELOAD expects the DSR from there. I am using Fred's latest release (there was a fix for the clock chip if I remember correctly).

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

OK, I fixed it by redoing the IDELOAD via E/A5. Now the IDE drive is back again. DIP/Configuration is CRU>1900, Map SRAM, Card mode Geneve, Genmod decoding off, RTC chip BQ4847 (ext SRAM). You must use ROMPAGE, but that is clear, I suppose. The clock chip is detected by IDELOAD.

./mame geneve -cfg_directory cfgide -peb:slot5 speech -peb:slot6 tirs232 -peb:slot7 ide -hard1 disks/hd/ide/newide1.hd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard2 disks/hd/maindisk.hd

I had to install a DSR folder on the HFDC hard drive because IDELOAD expects the DSR from there. I am using Fred's latest release (there was a fix for the clock chip if I remember correctly).

OK, I got IDELOAD off of Fred's which is V14.  According to the webpage, it was last updated September 28th, 2020.

Right now, from your description besides the RS232 card I have, the only difference is I have the MEMEX in slot 4. It is setup as show below.  What settings are working for you?

image.thumb.png.0286b1b035ebec03c96effd8e0243841.png

I pulled the above from a system I have at my workplace that is not as up to date.  My home system that I have been showing screenshots up until today is from 0.229.

24 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I'm a bit puzzled about the Horizon settings that you have. This looks like you are using an older MAME release. Higher above it seemed like 0.229, but these

switch names are clearly from pre-0.227.

See below for the actual names:

Screenshot_20210323_172227.png

Looks like you have your Horizon at 1200 while I have mine at 1600 but the MEMEX settings look to be the same between your setup and mine.  It will be another 6 hours before I can do some testing at home.

Here is a simple configuration; I was able to format the IDE drive with it. If you manage to get it going with this, you can step forward until you reach your configuration.

Make a copy of the attached unformatted IDE hard disk image as "newide.hd".

Emulation start:

mame geneve -peb:slot7 ide -hard1 disks/hd/ide/newide.hd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard2 disks/hd/genhd1.hd

My steps:

1. Let the Geneve boot from the HFDC drive.
  2. Start GPL by entering &TI99
  3. Load Editor/Assembler as HDS1.MODULES.EA
  4. Enter GPL by F5 (ROMPAGE)
  5. Enter Editor/Assembler, option 5, load WDS1.DSR.IDELOAD
  6. Specify WDS1.DSR. as source
  7. The DSR should be installed now, the clock chip detected as BQ4847.
  8. Leave IDELOAD, re-enter Editor/Assembler, option 5, load WDS1.UTIL.DU2K
  9. List the available drives; it should be displayed in the list as "MAME compressed Hard Disk".
  10. Initialize the drive.
  11. Back in TI BASIC, load WDS1.KATALOG and save as IDE1.KATALOG. Run it and enter IDE1. as path.

One note: You cannot exchange HD images between the HFDC and the IDE controller. The HFDC uses 256-byte sectors, the IDE uses 512-byte sectors (on the low level).

empty120m.hd genhd1.hd

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mizapf said:

Here is a simple configuration; I was able to format the IDE drive with it. If you manage to get it going with this, you can step forward until you reach your configuration.

Make a copy of the attached unformatted IDE hard disk image as "newide.hd".

Emulation start:

mame geneve -peb:slot7 ide -hard1 disks/hd/ide/newide.hd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard2 disks/hd/genhd1.hd

My steps:

1. Let the Geneve boot from the HFDC drive.
  2. Start GPL by entering &TI99
  3. Load Editor/Assembler as HDS1.MODULES.EA
  4. Enter GPL by F5 (ROMPAGE)
  5. Enter Editor/Assembler, option 5, load WDS1.DSR.IDELOAD
  6. Specify WDS1.DSR. as source
  7. The DSR should be installed now, the clock chip detected as BQ4847.
  8. Leave IDELOAD, re-enter Editor/Assembler, option 5, load WDS1.UTIL.DU2K
  9. List the available drives; it should be displayed in the list as "MAME compressed Hard Disk".
  10. Initialize the drive.
  11. Back in TI BASIC, load WDS1.KATALOG and save as IDE1.KATALOG. Run it and enter IDE1. as path.

One note: You cannot exchange HD images between the HFDC and the IDE controller. The HFDC uses 256-byte sectors, the IDE uses 512-byte sectors (on the low level).

empty120m.hd 112.67 kB · 2 downloads genhd1.hd 684 kB · 2 downloads

Very strange.  Not working and tried at IDE CRU >1000 and at >1900.  Anything off on the highlighted area for slot 7?

mame geneve -peb:slot3 horizon -peb:slot4 memex -peb:slot5 tirs232 -peb:slot7 ide -peb:slot7:ide:ata:0 hdd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 empty120m.hd -hard2 genhd1.hd -flop1 dsdd1.dsk -flop2 dsdd2.dsk -flop3 dsdd3.dsk -flop4 dsdd4.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000

image.thumb.png.d76a5c10c883013ce873d97d3fd058be.png

image.thumb.png.f9cb51c5468032efc26b0d79fa79c3d7.png

I've got it down to the following startup bat file without luck at >1900

mame geneve -peb:slot7 ide -peb:slot7:ide:ata:0 hdd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:h2 generic -peb:slot8:hfdc:f3 525dd -peb:slot8:hfdc:f4 525dd -hard1 empty120m.hd -hard2 genhd1.hd -flop1 dsdd1.dsk -flop2 dsdd2.dsk -flop3 dsdd3.dsk -flop4 dsdd4.dsk 

Beery

I did notice I was using a statement above you did not have in your command line, -peb:slot7:ide:ata:0 hdd  .  So, I removed it as well and still not working.

My last test is the following:

mame geneve -peb:slot7 ide -hard1 empty120m.hd -peb:slot8 hfdc -peb:slot8:hfdc:h1 generic -hard2 genhd1.hd

image.thumb.png.f89fb30335231ec8da1f0c0060db40a0.png

image.thumb.png.4e1810a257077af925352ae28ede1d9a.png

image.thumb.png.bcf66a278dcef3a4517d6c92860572e2.png

What do you mean by "not working"? Which tool/program is reporting the error, and which error? Or: At what point in my list from above did you experience an issue?

I was about to post another request that you should use my command line from above so that we can trace the issue starting from there, but you obviously stripped down your line already, so that is not the problem. One thing that comes to my mind is that you could delete the file nvram/geneve/peb_slot7_ide_sram512 in order to cleanly reset the IDE DSR.

Maybe someone else could try in parallel so that we can see where the difference shows up. @InsaneMultitasker?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

What do you mean by "not working"? Which tool/program is reporting the error, and which error? Or: At what point in my list from above did you experience an issue?

I was about to post another request that you should use my command line from above so that we can trace the issue starting from there, but you obviously stripped down your line already, so that is not the problem. One thing that comes to my mind is that you could delete the file nvram/geneve/peb_slot7_ide_sram512 in order to cleanly reset the IDE DSR.

Maybe someone else could try in parallel so that we can see where the difference shows up. @InsaneMultitasker?

Delete all the RTC files, etc and the IDE DSR loading still fails.  Here is where:

image.thumb.png.6f64034efabcb671f16ad5b0f94fa45a.png