IGNORED

For those who don't have the TIPI, what do you use to save?

AtariNostalgia

1 hour ago, AtariNostalgia said:

I was wondering, do all of you have a TIPI? What are other options for saving? Do you use the cassette recorder?

I don't have tipi (yet). I'm an old ti'er, and use several of the floppy controller options, mostly using disk images, and hard drive options (Scsi, Ide, Mfm). Also use the CF7+, which was made before the nanopeb. Also have many ramdisks.

Also built an HDX for the ti that allows using a PC as file storage for the ti.

Edited by RickyDean
added content.
  • Like 3

I have 4 TIPI's with PI's setup with two in Geneve's, one in a TI-99/4A PeBox setup, and another in a TI-99/4A with TIPI/32K combo.  I have a fifth card I have "in stock" that I ordered thinking I did not have the one card available, but presently nothing to put it in and really no need.

One of the biggest things with the TIPI is that it allows movement of files from sites such as here through in my case a Windows system that I have created network shares to the individual PI's.  What used to be a royal pain moving files from here through software to get them on a DSK image, and then to get them to something like a Lotharek drive SD card image, is now in the past.  I can copy directories and subdirectories to a path on the PI through the TIPI, zip that directory with subdirectories up, and provide someone those files very quickly.  And, @InsaneMultitasker and I have moved a lot of files between one and another over the past 4 months that I would cringe to think how long it would have taken through other older means.

Beery

• Like 5

The past years I'm only playing and experimenting with my TI and Geneve, but I use floppys (rare), a lotharek drive, SCSI with a 100MB ZIP drive and two SCSI to SD card converters, IDE card with IDE to CF converter and a HFDC with a DREM MFM hard disk  simulator and off course HDX for loading al the experiments from my laptop to the real iron.

Fred ;-)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AtariNostalgia said:

At that price I might as well get the TIPI ;-)

Until then its the tape for me.

You do have to understand that for any storage upgrade there will be some form of investment involved. For many upgrades to use disk controllers, ramdisks, sams, and so forth, you generally have to get a PEB (peripheral expansion box), to add cards to your system. There are exceptions, new hardware that has come out, that is changing this scenario now. But to have a full complement of hardware, will generally require this investment. Many of us, sometimes to our detriment, upgraded many years ago and don't look back, but it still had costs to us. Cassette is fun for awhile, until you start really delving into the system and go beyond playing games, then it gets boring and time consuming to load those big files, while you are programming useful programs.

• Like 1

SYSTEM 1: TIPI sidecar, sams sidecar, f18a

SYSTEM 2: nanopeb, hdxs setup with software

SYSTEM 3: PEB CC DSDD disk drives, 2 360k/1 720k, TIPI, HORIZION 8mb ramdisk, cassette, hdx modded rs232

SYSTEM 4: PEB Geneve HFDC with 360k floppy, 40mb mfm drive, TIPI, hdx modded rs232

SYSTEM 5: PEB CC DSDD disk drives, 1 360k/1 720k, TIPI

SYSTEM 6: TIPI sidecar, 32k ram sidecar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AtariNostalgia said:

I was wondering, do all of you have a TIPI? What are other options for saving? Do you use the cassette recorder?

Talking about the real iron, I am using SCSI2SD with a MicroSD card, attached to an ASCSI card. (On emulation, everything from floppy to hard disk.)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 9640News said:

And, @InsaneMultitasker and I have moved a lot of files between one and another over the past 4 months that I would cringe to think how long it would have taken through other older means.

TIPI offers more than "storage" though for my current purposes, I am mostly using it to save files and transfer files between systems and persons.  I perform most of my software development on the real hardware - the TIPI makes for very easy sharing (as @9640News points out) and lends itself to many other uses.  Sometimes I even copy text files to the PC (via TIPI) so that I can search and view them, or reference them while working on the real hardware.  It really has a lot to offer. 

I also have the nanoPEB device for games like Adventure and Tunnels of Doom, where saving the files to the emulated disks is nice and simple.  I also have PEB with various disk and hard disk style cards, as others have mentioned.  

• Like 2

I wanted to recreate the feeling I had all those years ago sitting by the glow of the CRT; tape! Sure it’s slow and sometimes finicky, but it is an authentic experience. On occasion I save to WAV. However, if I had a PEB I’m sure i would be singing the praises of that.

• Like 1

I don't have a TIPI.  I mostly use a Lotharek attached to a Corcomp CC9900 Micro-Expansion, but I also use a Tex'n Treasures 3.5 inch floppy disk.

I also have a couple of CF7/A+ units, but I find the CF cards a bit cumbersome to use, especially as CF-card readers are not as common on the PC side as they were a few years back.

In the past I've used a PEB with 5.25 inch drives, but I sold that monster off a long time ago.  Pretty sure my TI cassette deck no longer functions either.  I suspect the belts have stretched.   

A lot of people concentrate on games. I have the 32K expansion and the Finalgrom. But for me, playing games is great, especially for nostalgia reasons, but my hobby is programming, thats why I need a kind of fast storage. I guess I'll wait until TIPI is available again in Europe, until then, cassette.

BTW, RXB is awesome!

• Thanks 1

I don't have a TIPI, The TI-99/4A setups in use have Floppy Disk Controllers (TI PHP1240 FDC card, CorComp 9900 DS/DD FDC card and also CC900, RAC and TI sidecar controllers). My two TIny-99/4Av2 in use also have FDC cards (TI and CorComp FDC ones). My 99/8 and 99/5 computers have a Hexbus FDC that I made (a HX-5102 clone).  I only use tapes on the 99/2.  My Geneve9640 uses two SCSI disk drives (SNUG ASCSI 2).

• Like 2