IGNORED

A universal chip to play Resident Evil 1.5 on the PS1?

Ross PK

I spotted a PAL copy of Resident Evil 1.5 on ebay. This is not an official mass produced copy of the game since it never got released.

I asked the seller if the game would work on an unmodified PS1, and he said "To use the game you need a ps1 with universal chip that also reads backup cd or pc with epsxe emulator."

I've tried looking for PS1's on ebay with universal chips, but nothing comes up. I've tried Googling universal chip, but nothing helpful seems to come up.

Even Googling how to play Resident Evil 1.5 on a PS1 only seems to give me results of how to play it on an emulator or PC.

What exactly do I need to do to my PAL PS1? Or what kind of a modified PS1 should I buy to be able to play this game?

Edited by Ross PK

18 minutes ago, dendawg said:

I'm assuming by "universal chip" they mean a modchip?  If you don't have/want to buy a modded PS1, your best bet would most likely be to try an emulator.

I think so, because when Googling universal chip, some of the results have the word modchip in them.

I'm not sure if there is only one type of modchip, or different types. If there are different types then I'm not sure what type I'd need. I'll have to try and look into this further.

Edited by Ross PK

as far as modern modchips go, the Multimode 3 (MM3) seems to be the modern choice. Seems to sport a bunch of features and support a bunch of system revisions.  A couple years ago I picked up an MM3 pre-modded psone board from an ebay seller and swapped it in. Plays both real games and backups from any region.

Edited by Reaperman

Thanks for the help guys!

I've just bought myself a copy of RE 1.5 for the PS1 from ebay. I also bought Goldfinger 64 (total conversion mod of Goldeneye) for the N64 from ebay too, the game looks amazing! Luckily I'm pretty sure I don't have to have a modded N64 for that one.

re1.5.thumb.jpg.05a29fa59f9efb3fcc8c0dbc2c5a84c2.jpg

103062802_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.c4c48fca3251981e310ecc8b10a3d94d.jpg

Edited by Ross PK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RARusk said:

You could also try softmodding:

I just did that, it works, somewhat. I tied 3 Japan games that I have on US system, TFX, Tekken, Ehrgeiz. Tekken does not boot, others are fine.

I hope future version will work better.

As far as PAL games, it may be possible that the games will be in Gray and flicker do to 50Hz.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:25 PM, amiman99 said:

I just did that, it works, somewhat. I tied 3 Japan games that I have on US system, TFX, Tekken, Ehrgeiz. Tekken does not boot, others are fine.

I hope future version will work better.

As far as PAL games, it may be possible that the games will be in Gray and flicker do to 50Hz.

No the games would just run too fast.

I could just burn and try PAL game on my NTSC and see how it goes. 

Anyway, adding to the original question.  

If you can do the soft mod if you can, follow interned directions. The game that is PAL it should play fine in your PAL system.

Another alternative you can use is the Arduino modchip. https://github.com/kalymos/PsNee

http://hackedexistence.com/project/gaming-consoles/psx-arduino-modchip.html

Edited by amiman99