IGNORED

Gaming in TV Shows and Movies...

I know there's an old thread about this but I dont wanna spend time digging it up.. I've started watching live television again around a year ago,and been spotting some classic consoles on some of my favorite TV shows.

A few hours ago I was watching Three's Company on my laptop,when I spotted what looks like an actual Atari VCS sitting on their coffee table! :-o

I  couldn't help but copy the screen....

3s.thumb.jpg.9a992cf1ce0ad234a73548c7dfdae7a7.jpg

Now I'm wondering what Jack Tripper's favorite games are lol. Blows my mind I don't think I remember seeing that episode either. Anyone else spot any consoles in TV shows and/or movies?

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, lushgirl_80 said:

I know there's an old thread about this but I dont wanna spend time digging it up.. I've started watching live television again around a year ago,and been spotting some classic consoles on some of my favorite TV shows.

A few hours ago I was watching Three's Company on my laptop,when I spotted what looks like an actual Atari VCS sitting on their coffee table! :-o

I  couldn't help but copy the screen....

3s.thumb.jpg.9a992cf1ce0ad234a73548c7dfdae7a7.jpg

Now I'm wondering what Jack Tripper's favorite games are lol. Blows my mind I don't think I remember seeing that episode either. Anyone else spot any consoles in TV shows and/or movies?

Great show!

I posted this at AA about a year ago 

"Three's Company rerun on LOGO tonight, Jack and Janet were playing Atari 2600 Football"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

To tell the truth.  Mamma D uses a 2600 controller to control the robot holding the crown at the end. 

I've been curious if she is actually controlling it or not. 

It looks like they gave her a Flashback wireless joystick and said "jiggle this" and the robot is actually controlled by someone offscreen. 

I also spotted a GameBoy on a recent rerun of Married With Children...

285609240_marriedwchildrengameboy.thumb.jpg.e84e34ef78a742cf3fda44be07cc6ef8.jpg

Who the hell leaves their GB lying on the floor anyways? lol Another episode I saw had one of Bud's friends playing one. Also been watching Growing Pains again lately. Mike Seaver was holding some kind of an NES joystick on an episode I saw lately. Didn't take a screen shot though.

• Like 2

There's an episode of "Three's Company" in which they are actually playing the atari 2600 for a few seconds.  One of them or both are holding the joystick backwards.  LOL

Sorry, looks like roadrunner already mentioned this except for them holding the joystick backwards.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, lushgirl_80 said:

I also spotted a GameBoy on a recent rerun of Married With Children...

285609240_marriedwchildrengameboy.thumb.jpg.e84e34ef78a742cf3fda44be07cc6ef8.jpg

Who the hell leaves their GB lying on the floor anyways? lol Another episode I saw had one of Bud's friends playing one. Also been watching Growing Pains again lately. Mike Seaver was holding some kind of an NES joystick on an episode I saw lately. Didn't take a screen shot though.

Growing pain mike and ben played nes baseball I think it was once. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching What's Happening Now today and notice a Three Stooges cab at the diner where Shirley works!  :rolling:

watshappeningnow.jpg.2793c164764983f2d67d73d88726ebd3.jpg

So cool.. that diner also looks similar to the one during the last seasons of That 70s show too where they had the Space Invaders game. Also got to interview the actor who plays Raj on my show once.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, lushgirl_80 said:

They seemed to be fans of the system - it showed up in a few episodes that I remember.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:38 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Saturn showed up in Evangelion:

audgy84z12031.jpg

I don't know exactly what the deal was but Sega was at least one of the "sponsors" of Evangelion. The movies actually have Sega's logo in the intro credits (so I guess they put up some of the money) and they used to advertise during the show when it was on TV. So this was actually intentional paid product placement.

• Like 1

On Dallas Season 7, Cliff Barnes was playing Missile Command on an Atari 2600.  Then he gets a phone call and hands the joystick to Mark Graison and tells him not to mess up his record game.

I would have taken a pic of the TV but there really wasn't too good of an angle to take of the scene.  I bought the complete series DVD set a while back and aspire to finish them all by the end of the summer.  Goals, I know.

I had no idea that there are over 300 episodes that each clock in at 49 minutes but I am enjoying them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TeddyBear89 said:

I had no idea that there are over 300 episodes that each clock in at 49 minutes but I am enjoying them.

I used to watch a re-run of Dallas with my grandmother when I was a kid. It was fun for a while, but as they aired 5 episodes per week, I eventually had enough of it.

When Step by Step came on a couple of years later, she would consistently call Patrick Duffy´s character Bobby. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2021 at 3:02 PM, spacecadet said:

They seemed to be fans of the system - it showed up in a few episodes that I remember.

I don't know exactly what the deal was but Sega was at least one of the "sponsors" of Evangelion. The movies actually have Sega's logo in the intro credits (so I guess they put up some of the money) and they used to advertise during the show when it was on TV. So this was actually intentional paid product placement.

I believe Sega had nothing to do with the original 26 episodes; likely why the Saturn controller says Seca instead of Sega. Sega got involved later from what I can tell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So one of my guilty pleasures is watching the teenager oriented TV series Find Me in Paris which is about Lena Grisky, a Russian princess who studies ballet at the Paris Opera ballet school in 1905. She is gifted a timer that turns out to have super powers in form of she is transported forward in time to 2018, where she gets to learn about modern life as well as studying both ballet and hip hop.

Blah blah blah, time collectors are hunting her, and a lot of people are traveling back and forwards in time through the episodes. Eventually there is a Bureau with secret agents trying to control all forms of time travel and capture anyone who does, including the time collectors.

At one point, two people were on the hunt from the Bureau and ended up in 1983. In this scene from season 3, episode 3 they're playing on an Atari 2600 system, but surely this looks like a 2600 JR from 1986 rather than e.g. a Vader from 1982 which would be more typical for an episode in 1983? Can the cartridge label even be recognized?

Then again with all the anachronisms taking place in the wrong time periods, perhaps it makes little difference. They also have mid-late 80's Casio keyboards in the same episode.

atari-in-paris.thumb.jpg.98b444b81fb23fef0332316aa283801d.jpg

I've been recording Three's Company now lately. Just the other day Jack was at some roller rink,and there's an arcade cab right behind him.

3scompany.thumb.jpg.800b9924e3e7c5899b7f257ce2522fc7.jpg

Anybody know what game that is???  Also speaking of Growing Pains,I'm actually getting a call soon from Jeremy Miller the actor who played Ben Seaver! lol He's gonna be on my own show to explain what NES games they were actually playing on the set.  Actress Priscilla Barnes who played Terri on 3's Company is also appearing on my show soon,and i'm actually gonna ask her about the 2600 lol.